Split Option?

Seajack

Alpaca Farmer
While talking to the Navy recruiter, who's also an instructor for my Sea Cadet battalion, he mentioned that I could do the split option for the Army, and strongly recommended I look into it :ehh:. Been asking him about Navy EOD for a while, and he's not too keen or educated on NSW.

Despite my interest in EOD, I think being a medic would be just as cool as blowing stuff up for EOD, and would pursue that route should I join the Army.

From what I understand I could get a 68w contract through either the Reserves or NG, finish up training after I graduate my senior year, then ask my CO to release/transfer me to Active Duty.

My question is, has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Should I do this, would there be issues with going AD once I finish school and training? Is 68w the way to go if I want to eventually an SOF medic in the Army?

I agree with Goon. Decide what and where you want to be (to start) before you begin your military career. Don't sign up for NG or Reserves if you want to go AD, it's not a good way to start. Weigh your options and obligations, decide and then stick with your decision until you are at a proper detour spot - like a re-enlistment.

Navy Corpsman are also highly respected individuals. You can sign on as an HM and then volunteer to do FMF (Fleet Marine Force) and go over to the sandbox to play with the Marines. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just another option.
Also, don't expect the recruiters to be too up to snuff on NSO/NSW. That's what the motivators are for once you're in DEP. Unfortunately, you could do a day worth of research online and be more knowledgable on those subjects than a recruiter. They do usually have cool posters they'll give you though!! :D

IF you want a guaranteed shot at being a SOF medic, I think 68W opt. 40 would be the way to go, as the 18x route does not guarantee that you will be an 18D specifically. Just food for thought.

IF you want a guaranteed shot at being a SOF medic, I think 68W opt. 40 would be the way to go, as the 18x route does not guarantee that you will be an 18D specifically. Just food for thought.
This is what I had originally asked the Army recruiter, and found out there were no reserve Ranger battalions. He did mention 68w opt.40, which I think is a great idea. I don't know very much about the Army yet, but am certainly not against it.

After doing some thinking, I don't see any reason to rush getting in, just to be put in a position I don't want to be until my enlistment is up. I'll take the extra year to decide.

Navy Corpsman are also highly respected individuals. You can sign on as an HM and then volunteer to do FMF (Fleet Marine Force) and go over to the sandbox to play with the Marines. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just another option.
Also, don't expect the recruiters to be too up to snuff on NSO/NSW. That's what the motivators are for once you're in DEP. Unfortunately, you could do a day worth of research online and be more knowledgable on those subjects than a recruiter. They do usually have cool posters they'll give you though!! :D

I've considered it, but it seems like going the FMF route is by and large a crapshoot. I want to ground pound, I'd hate to lose that opportunity before I even fail a selection course. :-/

Nope, no reserve Ranger Battalions. If you have any incling of going active duty, do not go reserve or guard, as that makes you Prior Service, and it is next to impossible to get in as prior service right now, and its not going to get any better any time soon.

Nope, no reserve Ranger Battalions. If you have any incling of going active duty, do not go reserve or guard, as that makes you Prior Service, and it is next to impossible to get in as prior service right now, and its not going to get any better any time soon.

This.

Just go active duty. Simply put, most branches are meeting quota. Its far cheaper to train someone fresh out of high school than to retrain someone who made E-4 or E-5 in the reserves, or whatever respective rank they received.. especially in this economy. SEALs will not take prior service, unless you're prior SOF, Army wont take you into 18x unless you're below E-5 and the Air Force has very limited slots in all schools for prior service. This is all recent information I've gathered speaking with local recruiters, it could change at anytime.(I actually took the Navy PST the day the Navy had made that decision :mad: ). I'm in the Marine Corps reserves and have been trying to get conditionally released since 09, so I've had my fair share of headaches in failing with this process, so believe everyone in here when they say its next to impossible and wont get better any time soon. lol.

Additionally, you have to consider the effect on the USAR or ARNG unit you enlisted for if you go AD at the first opportunity. That unit invested in you; they depended on you. You also took a slot from someone else who would have stayed in the unit. To say your CO will have a case of the ass when you finish AIT and come asking for his blessing to go AD is an understatement. Don't be that guy.

If you want to go AD, then decide which MOS you want (hell of a big difference between EOD and military medicine) and devote all your energy to becoming the best XXX there is.

If you are looking at spending the summer before your senior year in basic training you are fucking nuts! Screw that noise. Have fun, the army will be there after you have finished high school. Go play sports, screw high school chicks, have a good time. I never understood the rush!

You absolutely have to do the Opt 40 if you go in as a medic. If not, the statistics overwhelmingly put you in a super-loser unit, like a hospital or med company or something.

DO NOT go into the Guard or Reserves if your intent is to go Active. Pre-9/11, it was rare for the Guard to release a soldier to AD unless he/ she had done a minimum of 3 kick ass years for the Guard. The Guard didn't want to release someone unless they were a rock star (who who reflect well upon the Guard when that soldier went Active), had done 3-5 years (so the Guard made their money off of them), and were in a high demand MOS (easier to replace said soldier).

Good luck.

If you are looking at spending the summer before your senior year in basic training you are fucking nuts! Screw that noise. Have fun, the army will be there after you have finished high school. Go play sports, screw high school chicks, have a good time. I never understood the rush!
I cut the hyperfocused shit out last year, I promise I've got a life. :rolleyes:

Are there any Navy techs on SS? They don't seem to have a big presence anywhere...

Back