Statistic programs and calculators

R.Caerbannog

Verified Military
Anyone here have a favored statistic calculator or program, for solving problems and generating graphs? I am currently using "RStudio" and I am hating life. Does anyone know of a GUI based stat calculator that is a bit more user friendly?

There's some pretty good guides for successfully using R, but I think my background in using python helped.

Have you tried minitab? Works for graduate level programs.

Have you tried SAS or SPSS?

R is the only free one of the group and I'd say most powerful. A lot of public surveying companies output to SPSS and I usually only use it to transition to tabular form so I can use in excel and ArcGIS to spatialize.

There's some pretty good guides for successfully using R, but I think my background in using python helped.

Have you tried minitab? Works for graduate level programs.

Have you tried SAS or SPSS?

R is the only free one of the group and I'd say most powerful. A lot of public surveying companies output to SPSS and I usually only use it to transition to tabular form so I can use in excel and ArcGIS to spatialize.
I haven't tried any of the ones listed other than Excel. Thank you for the info Florida, I'll be looking into all four of these programs. :thumbsup:

Best GUI? Matlab.
Best stats-specific GUI? Minitab
SAS University Edition is free as well, but likely won't resolve issues if you're looking for a GUI-driven program.

Not sure if you qualify but last time I had to use them both Matlab and Minitab had student editions for about $100.

Best GUI? Matlab.
Best stats-specific GUI? Minitab
SAS University Edition is free as well, but likely won't resolve issues if you're looking for a GUI-driven program.

Not sure if you qualify but last time I had to use them both Matlab and Minitab had student editions for about $100.

Do you even math, bro?

:D

What's the general consensus on STATA?

It is good but I used it in grad school when the university I was at shifted away from Crystal Ball, I haven't used it since then.

From what I remember it had a pretty straightforward GUI and the scripting was simple enough which was I think one of the benefits to new users (correct me if wrong, thought it was a selling point of it then). I think with an educational version (grad student) it is somewhere in the $100-200 depending on what level you are buying.

The best graphical representations of data I ever saw were in Mathematica; Wolfram Alpha may help you out.

There are some Python programs that people seem to like (I never used them), but R is probably the most mature in the stats realm. There may be FOSS stuff that can do nice graphs though; sorry if this wasn't super helpful.

Briefly strolling by this thread to say "Fuck R forever!" Shit's been the bane of my existence this semester.
ROFLMAO! That sucks.
Monday my Stats class begins. No computer software allowed. No apps. Must use calculator. Ugh.
Might find a used HP 50G.

I used an HP 12C and the BA2 which I still use. That was '07-08

83 should be able to handle just about all of it

ROFLMAO! That sucks.
Monday my Stats class begins. No computer software allowed. No apps. Must use calculator. Ugh.
Might find a used HP 50G.

I don't know what level you are at, but at the undergraduate level many of the courses teach to a certain calculator. In my class if you didn't have a TI-83, you basically had to teach yourself on the calculator. If you are in a graduate level course, it may be different. I would look at the syllabus before buying anything.

The syllabus says not to buy a graphing calculator just for the class but that if you do have one "you will use it." No recommendations beyond that.

The syllabus says not to buy a graphing calculator just for the class but that if you do have one "you will use it." No recommendations beyond that.

Often people sell TI-83's for drastically reduced cost. They are common in thrift stores and goodwills...

Back