Statistic programs and calculators

So far I'm doing ok with a Casio fx-300 ES Plus we had lying around the house. It has stat functions but no real graphing. Also, the professor continues to change his mind on what we can use for homework/tests and when said items are due. We are on our 3rd syllabus and even though the class ends Feb 28, the due dates are pushed out clear into the end of April. Are all stats teachers this scattered? :ninja: :wall:

Depends how long they've been teaching the course. All of my teachers had been in position for a while and more often than not had taught the class for at least the last five years. Any mayhem was abated by experience.

So far I'm doing ok with a Casio fx-300 ES Plus we had lying around the house. It has stat functions but no real graphing. Also, the professor continues to change his mind on what we can use for homework/tests and when said items are due. We are on our 3rd syllabus and even though the class ends Feb 28, the due dates are pushed out clear into the end of April. Are all stats teachers this scattered? :ninja: :wall:

No. I had the same teacher for calculus and stats, and she was the best most squared away teacher you can imagine. I didn't think I was capable of passing either class, because of her I got A+'s in both...

I'll ask my team member today - he's a chemical engineer, a graduate assistant for our stats department, and I'm pretty sure figuring out P-values and confidence intervals entices him in a way that no woman ever could.

Excuse me, gay nerds, while I go solve a few partial differential equations.

Gay Nerd...that's what my mom used to call me, and it makes me nostalgic.

Ya know, I like the 55 Gallon drum idea, a la "Counselor" rider:sneaky:.

Soak up the ideas now, I have to swear an oath to charge for them after I graduate (if I graduate).

I'll ask my team member today - he's a chemical engineer, a graduate assistant for our stats department, and I'm pretty sure figuring out P-values and confidence intervals entices him in a way that no woman ever could.
I feel so guilty. I gave in. I bought the HP Prime (latest edition). I was having the worst time with standard deviations and I had to find out what I was doing wrong.
Turns out it wasn't me. The book was wrong. Finding that out... Priceless.

"I'm not wrong Col. Sanders, YOU'RE wrong"

Glad it worked out! If I remember correctly, Standard deviations can be done in excel manually via taking the value of the individual point, multiplying by the probability of that point then subtracting the mean value of all the data. This gives you the variance, and then you square root the variance and BAM - standard deviation for that figure.

I think that's right, but it's been a while. I kind of forget exactly how to do it, and thinking about it too hard makes my brain start to bleed. Good luck!

Back