STRAC Technologies ST-1 F.A.S.T. System - any opinions about it?

I guess it looks nice for a flat range setup, BUT for combat, I think you'd loose mags climbing/jumping/etc...
What happens when it gets full of dust, mud, sand?

I'll stick with more traditional pouches...

I'll reserve judgment till I finger bang one.

At least someone is trying to advance from the Cordura pouch. If we didn't evolve in this area you would still be carrying your ammo in a leather pouch and a powder horn.

On an armor carrier it'd probably be fine as you couldn't feel it anyway. However, the thought of doing a belly flop on to that thing with nothing but a chest rig on doesn't strike me as particularly appealing.

Yeah seems like an afterthought product. Plenty on the market now. I like my tactical tailor shingles :)

Some of these were sent for T&E to one of the teams in Baghdad a couple months ago and one of my buddies did a video for them...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBxnrLjVM-s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBxnrLjVM-s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

He said it was fast, but bulky as all hell, and you'll weight down on one side of your kit considerably, you'll also be propped up in the air if you go prone.

Like in the original video posted...mounting location of the F.A.S.T. System is going to be dependant on your kits PALS webbing layout.

I'm smaller that the guy in the first video and it looks like if I had that on it would limit my range of motion if I was kneeling or sitting. It looks a lot longer than a traditional pouch. I'd have to try it, but on first look I'd say it probably won't work for me. Plus I'm wary of adding extra mechanical elements to my kit. It usually just adds to Murphy's list.

We carried about 22 20-rnd mags in crossed bandoliers, the first two taped top to bottom and a 3rd and 4th in the chest pockets of our flak vests. The bandoliers balanced the load because I crossed the belts. Pictured, left, is my bro RJ Carrier, who wore them like I did.

lzbaldy.jpg

Okay, sorry for the ancient history senility drift...

There's a bunch of gizmos on the market now, one is a mag coupler I've seen that's a plastic device that holds two mags, both open-end up but far enough apart so that when one is expended it takes just a slight move right or left to get the second under and up into the mag well.

The system in the vid isn't so fast if you fumble the insertion like that guy did, and the distance you have to transport the mag isn't that much less than if you're pulling one from a pouch on your rig. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Nothing can take the place of practice and repetition.

Man that pic makes want to do burpees ! :) But I would like to see a demo of someone actually negotiating some type real life scenario with that system on. Yeah it looks cool when your standing still but it just seems like it will get in the way somehow.

We carried about 22 20-rnd mags in crossed bandoliers, the first two taped top to bottom and a 3rd and 4th in the chest pockets of our flak vests. The bandoliers balanced the load because I crossed the belts. Pictured, left, is my bro RJ Carrier, who wore them like I did.

lzbaldy.jpg

Okay, sorry for the ancient history senility drift...

There's a bunch of gizmos on the market now, one is a mag coupler I've seen that's a plastic device that holds two mags, both open-end up but far enough apart so that when one is expended it takes just a slight move right or left to get the second under and up into the mag well.

The system in the vid isn't so fast if you fumble the insertion like that guy did, and the distance you have to transport the mag isn't that much less than if you're pulling one from a pouch on your rig. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Nothing can take the place of practice and repetition.

Back