Strictly cardio for 6-12 weeks?

Lionfish

Unverified
Being a former college linebacker, the biggest transition I currently have to make is transitioning into a long distance runner. Do you guy think it’s a good idea to just to forget about the weights for a bit and build up my cardiovascular strength?
Training for BUD/S btw.

You gotta be a lot more than a long distance runner for any selection. There will be healthy amounts of 100-800m repeats, fartlek runs, fast 2-3 milers, etc. Strength helps with injury prevention, and the logs and boats aren't light.

You gotta be a lot more than a long distance runner for any selection. There will be healthy amounts of 100-800m repeats, fartlek runs, fast 2-3 milers, etc. Strength helps with injury prevention, and the logs and boats aren't light.
I say this because I have a 385 bench max along with a 4.5 40 time at 225lbs. Having size has its perks I know, but I’m willing to drop to 200lbs if it means being able to eliminate runs as a weakness

I say this because I have a 385 bench max along with a 4.5 40 time at 225lbs. Having size has its perks I know, but I’m willing to drop to 200lbs if it means being able to eliminate runs as a weakness

Pick a program and start training man. Your body will naturally adjust to the optimum weight for that training style, provided you aren't using a bunch of supplements, or eating poorly.

Appreciate the response, I’m currently using Stew Smith’s program but I saw in a podcast where he said that he would train his former football athletes differently and it confused the hell out of me lol. I normally take protein and creatine daily, would that be a problem?

Supplements will be a no-go during the course, but I don't think there's anything wrong with using some simple ones leading up to going. Obviously you don't want to be psychologically dependent on them though.

Back