Stupid Question Time

Polar Bear

They call me Mr Sunshine
Verified Military
I must not be reading the right stuff. What is the difference, if any between a flash suppressor and a muzzle brake. They look the same to me.

One is designed to suppress flash the other is designed to control muzzle lift. Breaks are also referred to as "recoil compensators" They will lesson recoil but at the cost of having your ears bleeding compared to a standard flash suppressor like the A2.

The breaks are generally much louder than flash suppressors.

Don't be fooled by the Flash/Break combinations. The law's of physics can't be beat and you can't have the best of both worlds, not matter how you design it.

ETA: Breaks do add a bit more accuracy out of the rifle, but not in every case. Hence the use of breaks on large bore rifles for long distance shooting. They direct the gases in such a way as to minimize muzzle lift versus suppressing the flash.

I like just about anything from Troy. You'll never regret having their products.

Anyone else have other idea's for Breaks and flash supps ???

Personaly I'd stick with flash suppressor in the their Medieval design. Besides, you can blow car windows out with that damn thing and I don't mean by a bullet. }:-)

Ordered this

Folding Dioptic Tritium BattleSight
Front Folding M4 Tritium Sights
Medieval Flash Suppressor 5.56mm

Ordered this

Folding Dioptic Tritium BattleSight
Front Folding M4 Tritium Sights
Medieval Flash Suppressor 5.56mm

Is this for the Colt 6920 ??? Did you remove the front sight "F" block and opt for a low profile block ???

What rail did you finally go with ??

The reason I asked was that if you purchased a front flip up sight then you need rail space to screw on the sight. If you still have the standard "F" marked front sight base then your flip up sight is going to sit behind your standard sight. :D

Hence the low profile gas block with a slightly longer rail system needs to be installed covering the low pro gas block.

...Anyone else have other idea's for Breaks and flash supps ???

Been running a PWS FSC556 on my SPR for a while and it is working out good, very pleased. In addition to being a good break it also hides the flash enough not to wash out my NVG's at night. It can also be had for weapons requiring a suppressor groove.

FSC556_L_1.jpg

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9&idcategory=6

If you are using it ICW a QDSS-NT4 Suppressor.
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=98&idcategory=6

Been running a PWS FSC556 on my SPR for a while and it is working out good, very pleased. In addition to being a good break it also hides the flash enough not to wash out my NVG's at night. It can also be had for weapons requiring a suppressor groove.

FSC556_L_1.jpg

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9&idcategory=6

If you are using it ICW a QDSS-NT4 Suppressor.
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=98&idcategory=6

Is that a work SPR or personal build ????

Just curious as to what your using these day's. Mk12 ?? Mk11 ???

Is that a work SPR or personal build ????

Just curious as to what your using these day's. Mk12 ?? Mk11 ???

I was introduced to them after my weapons guy changed his M4 suppressor out for the PWS. After firing a few rounds thru it, I ordered a few for the work SPR and SR-25. I also have one on my 16" Noveske Afghan.

I prefer the Mk12 between the two (despise with all that I am the M110 also.) I use the Mk13 more than the Mk11 as well....

I was introduced to them after my weapons guy changed his M4 suppressor out for the PWS. After firing a few rounds thru it, I ordered a few for the work SPR and SR-25. I also have one on my 16" Noveske Afghan.

I prefer the Mk12 between the two (despise with all that I am the M110 also.) I use the Mk13 more than the Mk11 as well....

That's one I haven't heard in a while................Mk13. Is it a .308 or 300WM chambering ??

I also stand corrected. After viewing the video of the PWS I can see little or no flash compared to a standard A2 hider.

That's one I haven't heard in a while................Mk13. Is it a .308 or 300WM chambering ??

I also stand corrected. After viewing the video of the PWS I can see little or no flash compared to a standard A2 hider.

Its a Remington 700 LA chambered for 300winmag. I like it, alot... In fact I almost bought one a few weeks ago but decided to wait til after this next trip after which I am picking up a Cheytac 408...

Like I said, the PWS is a good break with good flash suppressing capabilities, and it works with our issue suppressors...

Back