Team Arizona rescues off-duty soldier

ZmanTX

http://www.920rqw.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123352986#.UcD8Ji2cNNQ.twitter

by Master Sgt. Luke Johnson
943rd Rescue Group Public Affairs

6/18/2013 - DAVIS-MONTHAN AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. -- The Citizen Airmen of the 943rd Rescue Group were called into action late Saturday night, June 15, when they were notified of an injured off-duty Army Solider who fell from a cliff while hiking in the Huachuca Mountains near Sierra Vista, Ariz.

The survivor was clinging onto a two-foot wide ledge with a possible broken leg and arm when the Reserve rescuers arrived on scene wearing night vision goggles to provide sight in the total darkness.

Aircrew personnel from the 305th Rescue Squadron flying an HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter determined the rescue mission would be more difficult than expected due to the steep terrain. Civilian rescue assets could only make it within 20 feet of the survivor.

To get the necessary power required to hoist the Guardian Angel Airmen down to the survivor, Aircrew personnel made a call to dump fuel to lighten their load.

As a result of the reduced fuel, the Airmen had limited time to make the rescue. They would have to aim their insertions of the pararescuemen, or PJs, onto the scene flawlessly, as well as do the pick up. Then, fly to Libby Army Airfield nearly two-and-a- half miles away.

Once on location, Lt. Col. Paul Anderson, 943rd RQG chief of standards and evaluations, maneuvered the helicopter close to the canyon wall, which allowed no room for error for both the Aircrew and PJ's.

Tech. Sgt. Francis Kunkel, 305th RQS flight engineer, lowered Tech. Sgt. Ryan Gilbert and Senior Airman Mark Driggers, both 306th Rescue Squadron pararescuemen, to the victim.

"The terrain was sharp and jagged," said Driggers. "There were a lot of trees and rocks as we descended to the patient. We had to be hoisted twice to get in close enough, and go through and around trees to where the survivor was located.

Driggers said his team was so close to the edge that he was clinging on the rock edge and at one point he accidently loosened some rocks on the cliff edge that fell toward the patient.

"After the rocks fell toward the patient, I was concerned that I may have accidently injured him further, I called out to him, but he said the rocks missed him," said Driggers.

The PJ' spent 15 minutes on the ledge treating the patient and then hoisted him up to the helicopter. The rescue crew then flew the patient to the incident staging area to an awaiting ambulance.

"Once I determined that the patient didn't have a broken leg or arm, I decided that he could be safely hoisted up without being put on a litter," said Driggers.

On board the helicopter, Driggers gave him an IV and splinted his arm and leg prior to transporting the patient for further care.

"It feels good to use our combat skills to help save lives in our community," said Kunkel.

Driggers lauded the hoist work of the 305th RQS flight engineer.

"Once the mission was over, I went over to Kunkel and gave him a high five; he did such an awesome job hoisting us, and the patient," said Driggers.

Driggers also echoed Kunkel's words on the great feeling of accomplishment after training for all of these rescue scenarios, then coming to the aid of someone in need.

"After all of the hard training, it's finally nice to be needed for your life-saving skills, it was also incredible to be part of the team," said Driggers.

This is the third Southern Arizona rescue in recent weeks for the 943rd RQG. The first one was on May 22 where rescue group Citizen Airmen pulled a hiker who had fallen while hiking in the Chiricahua National Monument, and the second one took place on May 31 where the rescue group responded to a paraglider crash in the Santa Rita Mountains.

"I could not ask any more of these guys," said Col. Harold Maxwell, 943rd RQG commander.

"They answered when called and gave up their time on a Saturday night responding to a call from someone in need. This truly embodies what we do here at the 943rd RQG. We're Citizen Airmen, part of the community we serve in, and we're always ready to respond when called."

Back