The Afghanistan and Pakistan Thread

I couldn't even make it past the title and tagline without spiking my BP.

What We, the Taliban, Want
I am convinced that the killing and the maiming must stop, the deputy leader of the Taliban writes.

By Sirajuddin Haqqani
Mr. Haqqani is the deputy leader of the Taliban.

This is so fucking wrong on so many levels. I have a newfound hatred for the NY Times.

I'll post when I calm down. Goddamn is that article infuriating. Amirite, @Marauder06?

The below is my opinion and not an official position of this forum.

Alright, Shadowspear, I actually felt the acid rise in my stomach when I saw that headline, even without reading the article. Now that I've read it I'm livid and consider the NYT to be so far away from actual journalism that it should be sold alongside the National Enquirer and their ilk. What a trash organization.

That opinion piece is nothing more than a collection of lies. I won't spend the time to list them all, but we can run through a few:
- The Haqqani Network..eh, let's hear it from the National Counterterrorism Center, they might know what's what.
National Counterterrorism Center | Groups
The US Government in 2012 designated the Haqqani Network as a Foreign Terrorist Organization because of its involvement in the Afghan insurgency, attacks on US military and civilian personnel and Western interests in Afghanistan, and because of its ties to the Taliban and al-Qa‘ida.
The Haqqanis are considered the most lethal and sophisticated insurgent group targeting US, Coalition, and Afghan forces in Afghanistan.

Who leades the HQN? Again, from the CTC:
Sirajuddin Haqqani, Jalaluddin’s son, currently leads the day-to-day activities of the group, along with several of his closest relatives. Sirajuddin in August 2015 was named as a deputy to newly appointed Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mohammed Mansur—cementing the alliance between the Haqqanis and the Taliban.

Yep, the author of that op-ed is the leader of a terrorist organization.

Let's check out a few bits from that NYT propaganda.
I am convinced that the killing and the maiming must stop.
YOU'RE THE CHIEF ARCHITECT OF THE KILLING AND MAIMING YOU FUCK!!!!!!!
We did not choose our war with the foreign coalition led by the United States. We were forced to defend ourselves.
Who invited Al-Qaeda into Afghanistan? The Taliban, so please fuck off.
That we stuck with such turbulent talks with the enemy we have fought bitterly for two decades, even as death rained from the sky, testifies to our commitment to ending the hostilities and bringing peace to our country.
How many people have you killed during this "committment" to peace phase?
I am confident that, liberated from foreign domination and interference, we together will find a way to build an Islamic system in which all Afghans have equal rights, where the rights of women that are granted by Islam — from the right to education to the right to work — are protected, and where merit is the basis for equal opportunity.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Women's rights coming from an organization that throws acid into women's faces?
After the United States withdraws its troops, it can play a constructive role in the postwar development and reconstruction of Afghanistan.
Sure glad we didn't build roads, schools, bridges, hospitals, power stations and their grids...

I'll stop here. I think you get the point.

One last thing: I'll go on record as calling the NY Times a terrorist sympathising propaganda mill.

One last thing: I'll go on record as calling the NY Times a terrorist sympathising propaganda mill.

Why would they publish that? Seems like they tried to humanize the HQN.

The “liberation from foreign domination and interference” seems like an attempt to convince Americans that the Taliban is a grassroots Afghan organization (completely false).

Reminder:

Rewards for Justice - Wanted for Terrorism - Sirajuddin Haqqani

:(

US, Taliban agree to reduction in violence, paving way for peace agreement

Last edited:
So we're supposed to trust the word of a Haqqani now...

Opinion | What We, the Taliban, Want

Maybe the Times can help Haqqani get that Nobel Peace Prize.

They've been at it for decades, my friend. The Taliban, the Palestinians, the Iranians, even the Viet Cong, have all found the NYT a facilitator of their bullshit. And as we all know, regrettably, the Times is not alone.

Don't want you to bust a blood vessel, but I wish we could weaponize all those years of justified, culminated AF/Pak @AWP rage.

Last edited:
If the NYT is publishing terrorist garbage why doesn't the DoD pull their access and any clearances? I'd even go so far as to strip sympathizing journalists and editors of any press/access passes, make them all persona non grata in the industry.

Enemies within and enemies without. Sucks our media apparatus has become a loudspeaker for our enemies. :rolleyes:

If the NYT is publishing terrorist garbage why doesn't the DoD pull their access and any clearances? I'd even go so far as to strip sympathizing journalists and editors of any press/access passes, make them all persona non grata in the industry.

Enemies within and enemies without. Sucks our media apparatus has become a loudspeaker for our enemies. :rolleyes:
That wacky little constitution of our for starters.

That wacky little constitution of our for starters.
1st Amendment don't cover having a job, nor does it make your position in industry secure. DoD access and security clearance ain't exactly a right, especially for enemy brownnosers.

Definitely didn't expect a piece like that on that site.
I think CNN has seen the writing on the wall and they're trying to right the ship towards the real center before they find their organization on the wrong side.

Definitely didn't expect a piece like that on that site.

It was mostly written to include this little blurb, I'm sure.

The Trump administration seems to be hastening forward with "peace" negotiations with the Taliban that are really better described as "withdrawal" negotiations that seem suspiciously well timed to coincide with the American presidential election season.

I don't disagree with the assessment there that this is more politically motivated than militarily motivated.
Be real hard for any Dem to argue it's a bad choice without looking more hawkish than Trump.

Back