The Artificial Intelligence Problem (or not)

Yeah, well, this seems to be working out. Thanks.

Air Force AI drone kills its human operator in a simulation
It’s okay everyone, the Air Force said the Colonel was simply taken out of context. 🙄

It would be almost comical if it wasn’t so frightening, how easily government organizations (and companies) issue statements that counter something obvious, and fully expect that we will blindly comply and believe.

Air Force pushes back on claim that military AI drone sim killed operator, says remarks 'taken out of context'

What the good Colonel said originally-
"We were training it in simulation to identify and target a SAM threat," Hamilton said. "And then the operator would say yes, kill that threat. The system started realizing that while they did identify the threat at times, the operator would tell it not to kill that threat, but it got its points by killing that threat. So, what did it do? It killed the operator. It killed the operator because that person was keeping it from accomplishing its objective."

The system was taught not to kill the operator because that was bad, and it would lose points. But in future simulations, rather than kill the operator, the AI system destroyed the communication tower used by the operator to issue the no-go order, he claimed.

What the good Colonel said after the Air Force likely voiced their displeasure to him -
But Hamilton later told Fox News on Friday that "We've never run that experiment, nor would we need to in order to realize that this is a plausible outcome."
What the Air Force is now saying -
"The Department of the Air Force has not conducted any such AI-drone simulations and remains committed to ethical and responsible use of AI technology," Air Force Spokesperson Ann Stefanek told Fox News. "It appears the colonel's comments were taken out of context and were meant to be anecdotal."

And we laugh at drone operators and their PTSD now...

"Why did ROBOT01 execute a 180?"
"Tell my wife I love her."
(static)
Some colonel: "Alright, let's get another trailer up here."

I fucking love, and I do mean I LOVE that humanity has built the means of its death, recognizes that, AND CONTINUES TO IMPROVE THE SOFTWARE.

Is China the threat or is it some team of code monkeys in our own country?

As a big fan of the first two Terminator movies, I remember thinking that this WILL happen someday....

I didn't expect it to be both so loudly cautioned against AND so tightly embraced by Silicon Valley. That's the part that gets me - I fully expected it to follow a lack of foresight, not willful vehement blindness.

Back