The Brereton Inquiry

ptg

Banned
This is truly disgusting and makes me cringe. It is appalling to hear that a few bad apples are giving Australian troops a bad name is or is Australia known to be cow boys when it comes to ROE?

After Operation red wings are allied forces more relaxed when it comes to ROE? Or is winning the hearts and minds just as important as back then.

Also it doesn't sound like they are going to investigate this properly. Should the defence force be able to withhold all information when approached by the media outlets?
Australian soldiers killed prisoner because he could not fit on aircraft, American marine says

Some holes in the story.
Did they see 7 prisoners? or see 6.
He says they saw them roll the POW's, but then says they were being called in.
Were they orbiting overhead? or did they offset?

I thought the same thing. And they heard a shot? Like... when they were hovering over the battlefield in a noisy helo? Or did the guy on the ground conveniently have the hand mic cued up so everyone could hear them commit a war crime?

"I don't want to use my name, but here's a picture of me in my flight suit for your story about me."

Ok. I'm going to tell a little story.

Back in the day, a unit took contact. A unit took casualties. A unit also took a POW.

That POW never arrived to me. Well, they arrived, but live when loaded doesn't always equal live when they arrive, when there's 8 bulletholes distributed throughout their chest cavity. Someone will have to refresh my memory what category that is for 9 lines.

Personally? I'm not wasting time loading a dead body unless command has reason that said dead body needs to come off the battlefield for ID or whatever. I'm also not (and have not) taking any shit from POW's. The most hazardous time for everyone involved in a POW situation is right at the time you take a prisoner (or become one). Just like taking someone into custody as a cop. It's their last chance for FREEEEDOM and sometimes people feel froggy and have to get choked out, beat, or shot wherever necessary in order to either maintain their prisoner status, else defend yourself.

Just because I had a helmet and body armor doesn't mean there's not a gun in the middle of the situation among other weapons.

This is a non-starter and some medal tossing fuckstick trying to get fame when their dress blues have lost their lustre for the poonany.

@Ranger Psych that's some shit right there. Fuck yeh. Where do you think your going?

I hope this comes across as seeking context and not being a dick (admittedly, I have that problem), but what do you mean by your post? I don't want any of us to go off half-cocked, because your post, frankly, seems a bit antagonistic. Could you please provide some clarification or explanation with respect to your post?

Thank you.

Unsure about others here that have been on patrols but if we ever came upon someone that we felt should not have been in the area, we did our own interrogation. When you need info you need it now. Not 24 hours later after you sent the suspect back to the rear to be talked with. Mission comes first and I don't need the extra weight.

After Operation red wings are allied forces more relaxed when it comes to ROE? Or is winning the hearts and minds just as important as back then.

I think you need a refresher on allied forces in these countries if you think ROE became more "relaxed" after Red Wings and you think it was "hearts and minds focused" beforehand. COIN didn't become doctrine until 2006, the year after Red Wings.

To the story; it reads fishy. As others have pointed out, not using his name but posting full faced photos doesn't cut it for someone "afraid of retribution".

Shit happens in a warzone. Did the team leader actually cap a dude, or did they just take rounds that happened to hit one POW?

Did the POW engage someone and have to be shot?
Don't know, wasn't there.

I will say though, I've been on many birds. There might be 6 seats, but if we absolutely need to get 7 on there and it doesn't put it to close to weight capacity?
7 dudes are flying.

I will say though, I've been on many birds. There might be 6 seats, but if we absolutely need to get 7 on there and it doesn't put it to close to weight capacity?
7 dudes are flying.

Weight-wise? No idea. Seat-wise? I've been on a Chinook with a dead Afghan (twice) and every seat was full. The story continues to slip into... "less than credible" territory.

I hope this comes across as seeking context and not being a dick (admittedly, I have that problem), but what do you mean by your post? I don't want any of us to go off half-cocked, because your post, frankly, seems a bit antagonistic. Could you please provide some clarification or explanation with respect to your post?

Thank you.

I'm assuming it was a badly constructed jesting comment about an EPW attempting escape.

It's all fun and games until you're actually having to deal with it. Dude was fighting for his life, so he thought. Unfortunately for him, he was scrawny Afghani and I... well, people here call me Sasquatch. I just tapped into a deployment's level of anger due to lack of women and recreation.

Weight-wise? No idea. Seat-wise? I've been on a Chinook with a dead Afghan (twice) and every seat was full. The story continues to slip into... "less than credible" territory.
edit: my numbers are wrong, memory getting old.

Thank you.
My post should have read: "where do you think your going" Said the ranger to the EPW trying to escape capture..

Also it doesn't sound like they are going to investigate this properly. Should the defence force be able to withhold all information when approached by the media outlets?

The Brereton IGADF Inquiry has been going for 4 years. Incidents will be getting forwarded to the AFP from there. Let the process happen before you make calls about events not being investigated properly.

It’s funny, I just picked up a copy of yesterday’s Daily Telegraph & read the story & I read about an hour ago so I’ll paraphrase. The troop commander replied to the allegation made by the ABC which is our national broadcaster. He found it difficult for a Marine in a chopper to hear a pop over the engine noise (over the radio?) which was airborne at the time. He emphatically denied shooting a seventh prisoner to get all six on the helo. He said the procedure was to take the earmuffs & goggles off & hand the prisoner to the local guys & to keep him in custody until the noise of the choppers subsided & then to release him. The choice was made based on the intel value of the subjects which person was to be released. The guy was in 2 Commando & was a troop commander at the time & got out as a Major. As for the IDGAF (yes, & thank you) let’s wait and see.

Back