The Brereton Inquiry

Interesting reading, but the writing seems to me to be in the cool story, bro" virtue-signaling camp.

I imagine quite a few folks here will have something to say about this one:

Australian Defence Force chief Angus Campbell says mandatory helmet cameras for special forces a 'good idea'​

ADF chief says mandatory helmet cameras for special forces a 'good idea'
Let’s start adding more gear to guys... also adding another post mission task (downloading and processing post-mission footage) is sure to make the guys happy...

With that said- if you don’t want to be baby sat and treated like a 21st century LEO, do better. Don’t do wild shit. And if you feel like “doing hood rat shit” ( as the OAF cucks would say) then maybe do a better job of covering it up. Better yet don’t do it.

ROEs are dumb. They are a cover for people who are bad leaders. Someone who has solid moral character and tactical acumen doesn’t need to be told “don’t shoot civilians or prisoners.”

This is why I hate the whole “operator” identity. I’m not some gray area, half spy half soldier. I’m an airborne infantryman assigned to a special operations unit. I’m doing the same shit LTC Winters and Easy Company did 75 years ago, just for a different boss. The rules of war still apply to me. I’m not trying to be a “hoodlum or brigand.” A lot of guys have gotten away from that the last 20 years. And apparently it’s happening in allied countries as well.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

This is why I hate the whole “operator” identity. I’m not some gray area, half spy half soldier. I’m an airborne infantryman assigned to a special operations unit. I’m doing the same shit LTC Winters and Easy Company did 75 years ago, just for a different boss. The rules of war still apply to me. I’m not trying to be a “hoodlum or brigand.” A lot of guys have gotten away from that the last 20 years. And apparently it’s happening in allied countries as well.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Well said.

I won’t post a link to it but the NYT has gone full tilt boogie with its first couple of paragraphs in an article. Reason is that it’s been covered elsewhere, even by the Taliban, which to me is particularly hypercritical considering their targeting of civilians.

I saw three wounded POWs executed by my counterparts. Okay...their civil war and all, but that didn't mean we joined in. In that instance it happened so fast we were powerless to stop it. If we could've stopped it we would have.

You don’t forget your moral compass in war...but emotions running hot can obscure it temporarily. And sometimes it’s a struggle to regain the better angels of your nature. That doesn’t mean you’re going to go apeshit and start whacking people. Even obscured by emotion, you know what’s murder and what’s not murder.

Last edited:
As if commanders afar aren't in the ground force commander's business enough as it is, imagine when they can get to the point where all of those helmets cams are sending back live feeds, a la "Aliens."

If a commander doesn't trust his subordinates to to uphold unit integrity standards without video proof of compliance, their higher HQS should relieve said commander. Helmet cams here are suggested because of shitty leadership.

Militaries have both SOF and choirs and they also have selection criteria for each. Not every snake eater will chew properly as not every soprano will hit the right high note, but when they both do, it’s beautiful experience for everyone.

2 Squadron SASR has been shit canned, current members filtered around the Regiment, a new Squadron will be raised, I imagine it will be mostly from 1 and 3 Squadrons, the number gap will be left as a statement/reminder.

The MUC awarded to SOTG over the course of about 5 years worth of rotations will also be rescinded. That hasn't gone down well. But I imagine the murder limit for getting a MUC is probably zero, so everyone saying the rest of us did our jobs to a high standard probably won't cut it.

It's the Governor General's job to rubber stamp the request. He is a previous Chief of Army and Chief of the Defence Force. I don't imagine he's going to go against the current CA and CDF.

Someone please translate this into an American Unit so that it is easier to understand?

Are they essentially disbanding the SEAL’s, spreading them throughout Big Navy, and starting from scratch?

They are disbanding a sub unit of the SASR, not the whole Regiment.

This is going to be painful for a long time. The pain of disbanding the Canadian Airborne Regiment, is still felt today.

Back