The Brereton Inquiry

Someone please translate this into an American Unit so that it is easier to understand?

Are they essentially disbanding the SEAL’s, spreading them throughout Big Navy, and starting from

Just trying to understand the impact. So in SEAL speak would this be like disbanding SEAL Team 6?
That's how I read it.

And honestly, there have been times when I've wondered if that might be a good thing to happen here...

They are disbanding a sub unit of the SASR, not the whole Regiment.

This is going to be painful for a long time. The pain of disbanding the Canadian Airborne Regiment, is still felt today.

The only foreign wings I have are Canadian from...March-ish of 1995. I vaguely recall that you had female soldiers in the unit at the time, but I could be mistaken. Regardless, your wings are much more pimp compared to ours. Kinda' wish we had a version of those or the Jedburgh wings, but I wasn't in charge that day.

The Warrant who was my JM...hand tattoos, handlebar mustache, straight gangsta' looking motherfucker. Our US JM put Stick 1 into the trees. I'm in Stick 2 with the Warrant as our JM and figured my 7th overall jump is about to be interesting, but dude was a pro and didn't seek payback for our Major's incompetence. I wouldn't have have blamed him to be honest, but he put us out over the panels and not the trees unlike one USSF Major...

The only foreign wings I have are Canadian from...March-ish of 1995. I vaguely recall that you had female soldiers in the unit at the time, but I could be mistaken. Regardless, your wings are much more pimp compared to ours. Kinda' wish we had a version of those or the Jedburgh wings, but I wasn't in charge that day.

The Warrant who was my JM...hand tattoos, handlebar mustache, straight gangsta' looking motherfucker. Our US JM put Stick 1 into the trees. I'm in Stick 2 with the Warrant as our JM and figured my 7th overall jump is about to be interesting, but dude was a pro and didn't seek payback for our Major's incompetence. I wouldn't have have blamed him to be honest, but he put us out over the panels and not the trees unlike one USSF Major...

We did a jump with Singapore when I was in 5th Group. Ramp, Hollywood, MH-47, foreign jump wings. A good day.

Someone please translate this into an American Unit so that it is easier to understand?

Are they essentially disbanding the SEAL’s, spreading them throughout Big Navy, and starting from scratch?

SASR has 3 Sabre Squadrons, they're a slightly smaller than Rifle Company sized group, around 90 blokes. Each Squadron has a Water Troop, a Freefall Troop and a Mobility Troop and a HQ troop, each Troop has 4 patrols with 5 or 6 blokes in each Patrol. Patrols are commanded by a E6 getting onto E7 type Sergeant, unless you're in the Troop boss's patrol, he's an 02 and would have already had 2 years running a Rifle Platoon, plus 3 or 4 years worth of other jobs. The guys relinquish any rank they have when they join the unit, working their way back up the chain (Officers don't), most would be E3 or E4s running a squad. The pay makes up for it.

There is an unofficial or unacknowledged is probably a better word, 4 Squadron getting around, allegedly doing CRW and other men who stare at goats style shenanigans. So the new squadron may be 5 Squadron. The Regiment loses nothing in capability, but it's a pretty big hit to anyone who ever served in 2 Sqn. Chief of Army was a 2 Squadron OC (and CO of SASR too) so he'll be feeling it as keenly as anyone.

So SASR would be about the size of ST6, 2 Squadron would be like losing one of the Coloured Assault Squadrons. Except it's like Gold being being filtered around to Red, Blue and Silver and Bronze being raised from dudes from Red, Blue and Silver to make up the short fall.

Last edited:
2 Squadron SASR has been shit canned, current members filtered around the Regiment, a new Squadron will be raised, I imagine it will be mostly from 1 and 3 Squadrons, the number gap will be left as a statement/reminder.

The MUC awarded to SOTG over the course of about 5 years worth of rotations will also be rescinded. That hasn't gone down well. But I imagine the murder limit for getting a MUC is probably zero, so everyone saying the rest of us did our jobs to a high standard probably won't cut it.

It's the Governor General's job to rubber stamp the request. He is a previous Chief of Army and Chief of the Defence Force. I don't imagine he's going to go against the current CA and CDF.
There’s hard choices which ever way it cuts. I’m getting through the redacted version & it’s pretty grim, but I totally understand how it all came about. The report is frank & direct, as all intel should be, which looks to be part of the initial problem.

Last edited:
As I understand it, these guys are all witnesses, who didn't report what they saw at the time. They've all made admissions during the inquiry and it's those statements that have led to their dismissal. They'll all have the right to appeal those termination notices, show cause, then Defence will act from there.

At a guess, ST7 with Eddie Gallagher and ST6 with the dudes that murdered Logan Melgar.

Have you heard anything else about those unit's since? I understand the gravity of what happened in both those instances, but I don't think that simply disbanding a unit will fix anything. Those sailors will end up elsewhere and a diseased apple tree will always produce bad apples. If you think the screening process needs to change to better identify character flaws, then I think you're on to something. I also think that mental health screening should be a more regular part of all military branches to help identify those at high risk and either get them help or put them in a position where they can't make a decision such as what both these men made.

Look at the 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment of the US Army. In Vietnam they were part of the My Lai Massacre. They are still around today and have been awarded several US Army Superior Command awards since.

Might have to take that up with Mara, I'm only guessing on his behalf. ;)

In this case, I tend to agree, from all accounts, 2 Squadron doesn't have that many people still serving from 2012. It's probably had 3 or 4 sets of OCs and SSMs (Squadron Sergeant Major) since then. How quickly does culture change?
They've belted a unit, but it's really 30 or 40 different units, they've punished the two squadrons that served in Vietnam, the guys that deployed to Malaya, the guys in the early 80s who developed the TAG capability, the Squadrons that went to Timor and Iraq etc etc.
The alternative, I gather was a total re-branding, which again wouldn't achieve much internally.

I only post here to emphasize that this whole investigation and the subsequent coverage lead off our National Security Law block of instruction here at the JAG School. Basically it was used to illustrate why LOAC is still relevant to us and the fallout that it can cause when those rules are broken.

Back