The Current Commandant of the Marine Corps vs. ...all of the other former Commandants?

You'd pick someplace where it was easier for China to observe.
Or somewhere the EPA, DOE, and FEMA would have kittens if you fired HE and arty…

I recommended blowing some flexed linear charges at the Savannah River sites dam, and I I got called a psycho… I can’t imagine what the regulations for for shooting 105s on an island are…

But don’t worry, someone went to Hogwarts for a semester so he knows about planning large scale operations.

You'd pick someplace where it was easier for China to observe.

So are littoral regiments going to land on Islands or be used in the Desert? Would think you'd want to test beach landing in your capstone exercise, idk. As far as doing an LFX? 29 is a great place to do a regimental live fire.

But uh, the Chinese would have a balloon over 29 for a week before this administration would shoot it down so I don't know what you mean, Biden already does that for us.

Or somewhere the EPA, DOE, and FEMA would have kittens if you fired HE and arty…

I recommended blowing some flexed linear charges at the Savannah River sites dam, and I I got called a psycho… I can’t imagine what the regulations for for shooting 105s on an island are…

But don’t worry, someone went to Hogwarts for a semester so he knows about planning large scale operations.

I get it, you think you can be snide. That's fine. But if you can't get with thinking notional islands for an amphibious unit is not comical, what can you be? But hey, you're the one who went to Hogwarts and see's wizards. Might want to get that checked out.

Last edited:
So are littoral regiments going to land on Islands or be used in the Desert? Would think you'd want to test beach landing in your capstone exercise, idk. As far as doing an LFX? 29 is a great place to do a regimental live fire.

But uh, the Chinese would have a balloon over 29 for a week before this administration would shoot it down so I don't know what you mean, Biden already does that for us.

I get it, you think you can be snide. That's fine. But if you can't get with thinking notional islands for an amphibious unit is not comical, what can you be? But hey, you're the one who went to Hogwarts and see's wizards. Might want to get that checked out.
Doolittle raiders trained in Florida on a runway painted to look like a carrier. The got zero practice takeoffs from an actual carrier.

We don't know what the goals of the exercise were, so landing on an island isn't always necessary.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Deploying to the desert? Go to 29 Palms. Deploying to the jungle? Go to 29 Palms. Going to the Arctic? Go to 29 Palms.

Some other NCOs and I were sent through the Army's Jungle Warfare Course at Ft Sherman, Panama, AKA Green Hell. After our return from Vietnam. I'm hacking my way through stinking, claustrophobic, triple-canopy misery for a few weeks, all the while reflecting on that logic.

You really won't let this go. Again, all Marine Corps infantry units are required to go to 29 Palms to certify their combat readiness in a 30 day combined arms live fire exercise. These events range start at the squad level and can go all the way up to the Division level with tanks, when we had them anyway, mortars, artillery, and aviation fires. You can do it in other places but there aren't many that are suitable for an infantry battalion, or in this case a regiment, to do the kind of fires and maneuver necessary for this kind of evaluation. Islands or otherwise. My battalion did something similar in Fort Irwin once when I was a platoon commander headed to Iraq because 29 Palms was swamped with units. Hawthorne Nevada was another option before they shut the range down. These kinds of places tend to exist in the desert because there aren't a ton of people out there. Islands tend to be really crowded and their residents generally despise live fire exercises, and often the military in general. The MLR is stationed out of Hawaii so they get a lot of training reps on the live fire ranges on Oahu, Kauai, and the big island. The Marine Corps does plenty of silly things. This isn't one of them.

Vieques was one of those islands we used for years for bombing and amphibious landing exercises, but, as @Teufel points out above, the inhabitants were not happy and finally forced us to go elsewhere.

You really won't let this go. Again, all Marine Corps infantry units are required to go to 29 Palms to certify their combat readiness in a 30 day combined arms live fire exercise. These events range start at the squad level and can go all the way up to the Division level with tanks, when we had them anyway, mortars, artillery, and aviation fires. You can do it in other places but there aren't many that are suitable for an infantry battalion, or in this case a regiment, to do the kind of fires and maneuver necessary for this kind of evaluation. Islands or otherwise. My battalion did something similar in Fort Irwin once when I was a platoon commander headed to Iraq because 29 Palms was swamped with units. Hawthorne Nevada was another option before they shut the range down. These kinds of places tend to exist in the desert because there aren't a ton of people out there. Islands tend to be really crowded and their residents generally despise live fire exercises, and often the military in general. The MLR is stationed out of Hawaii so they get a lot of training reps on the live fire ranges on Oahu, Kauai, and the big island. The Marine Corps does plenty of silly things. This isn't one of them.

Brigade Certification for Iraq happened at Polk for ten years. So I get the general gist. But the whole exercise of doing this on notional islands, in the article I found funny. But maybe that's because every exercise I ever did was in a desert environment and the scenarios were all desert.

Back