The Forging of a Special Operations Marine - Dick Couch

Scanimal

Verified Military
Gentlemen,

Dick Couch, author of Chosen Soldier and various other successful military books, recently released a book about the forging of MARSOC CSOs.

http://www.amazon.com/Always-Faithf...tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1402375919&sr=1-1

There are plenty of Navy SEAL and Army Special Forces books, but very few about MARSOC due to its recent commission in 2006. I know the book was released just week ago, but I'm wondering if anyone has read it and has any reviews or input about the book.

I'll just post my review from Amazon.com

"I've read all of Dick Couch's non fiction works about Navy SEAL training, Army Special Forces training, and Army Ranger training. All are in-depth and excellent accounts of the schoolhouses that teach the basic arts of special operations in our modern military. From the very beginning to the end, you feel as you are a part of the class with the students you are reading about. One thing I noted as interesting about this work in particular compared to the others he's written is nothing is written about the Assessment & Selection portion of training due to the command's request. He begins with a brief history of the Marine Corps and the short history of special operations heritage within the Marine Corps. Informative and good stuff. The rest is about the first phase of A&S, ASPOC, and the rest is about ITC. I know guys who have been to this training I learned stuff here that I did not previously know. It's an excellent book and I highly recommend this book as mandatory reading for any Marine considering putting in a package for MARSOC"

Finished reading it a few days ago and though it was pretty good. The first chapter was about the histories behind the Marines and Marine Special Operations (Raiders, Recon and Detachment 1). He went into the A&S Preparation and Orientation course which had some useful and informative information, but did not write anything on the A&S course itself. The book primarily covers the Individual Training Course and each individual phase of training in-depth. I found Phase Two: Special Reconnaissance and Phase Four: Irregular Warfare to be very interesting. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Marine Special Operations.

I also found the MARSOC CSO Creed to be pretty impressive. First time I ever read it.

Maybe I am just nitpicking but he keeps referring to 5.56 as .556. I am 75% finished with the book but it just seems like there is a bunch of info left out. I have read Chosen Soldier and there seems to be tons more info. Still a good book but needs an editor.

Maybe I am just nitpicking but he keeps referring to 5.56 as .556. I am 75% finished with the book but it just seems like there is a bunch of info left out. I have read Chosen Soldier and there seems to be tons more info. Still a good book but needs an editor.

There probably is a number of things left out, that's also the case for the books he wrote on BUD/S, RASP and the SFQC. If he were authorized to write about every thing that takes place in the course it would make it possible to "game the game" as they say for readers who eventually become students.

What I really meant was he didnt transition very well. He builds up talking about a subject and then immediately its over, AAR on to the next topic. In the other books there was more meat.

What I really meant was he didnt transition very well. He builds up talking about a subject and then immediately its over, AAR on to the next topic. In the other books there was more meat.
We share similar observations. His prior books were informative but flowed in a way that was almost fiction like. This book reads more like a text book - I found myself skipping around a bit.

As @dmcgill said, the author did speak about the fact that he left quite a bit out, especially in regards to "selection", but still was more of a choppy read than his prior books.

We share similar observations. His prior books were informative but flowed in a way that was almost fiction like. This book reads more like a text book - I found myself skipping around a bit.

As @dmcgill said, the author did speak about the fact that he left quite a bit out, especially in regards to "selection", but still was more of a choppy read than his prior books.
In addition to what @dmcgill stated, I wonder if the author was just left with some bits after chopping it all up. I had to write a report recently but had to leave out information that pertained to a certain group. To me it seemed incomplete and just a bunch of facts thrown together.

MARSOC, in being the newest (baby brother) member of SOCOM, or just wanting to shun the spotlight and not fall victim to the SOCOM PR Machine and keep with the quiet professional heritage, surprisingly approved of this project. They have been extremely tight lipped about any of the activities in/around Stone Bay since their inception. To allow a writer, regardless of stature and notoriety in the community, behind these walls to write a book for the world to look into is a great privilege (and to be honest no other author in my opinion could have done a better job). Certainly in this case specifically, it came with a lot of terms and conditions that Mr. Couch had to oblige.

Only the CSO's on this board can confirm, but I'm sure there is a LOT of things left out, some for Mr. Couch's own personal reasons as an ex-SOF guy and others at the request of the command. Either way it doesn't retract from the quality of the book in my opinion as it breaks down walls and delivers the meat of training to become a Marine Critical Skills Operator, and that's what 99% of people who want to read this book are looking for. But let it be known brothers, I do agree with your opinions as well, I'm just glad a book was written at all because it really focused me on what exactly MARSOC trains for, how they train for it, and if it coincides with my personality and vision of my military career.

Last edited:
I am not sure if he changed editors for this book but there were lots of grammar, spelling and even geographic errors. The book was ok because this is the first any info has really been released on this but it really is lacking. Too bad it didnt get the treatment his other work had. Still glad I read it.

dmcgill, thanks for sharing your amazon review. Giving this a shot because of you. Also, Thanks to all for the feedback, it's good to see different POV's.

Mr. Couch is currently revising the book in preparation for the second edition printing. He has contacted the Marine Special Operations School in order to glean what changes have taken place in regards to the A&S/ITC pipeline since the original release. Hopefully, some grammatical errors will be addressed in conjunction with the updates. Minus a few inaccuracies, I enjoyed the book.

@Stanimal, thanks for sharing about Mr. Couch's planned revisions. Is this personal info you know? I tried researching a "second edition" release date but to no avail.

Yes brokenjar03, it is personal knowledge confirmed through multiple, very reliable sources. Apparently, Mr. Couch will include a "foreword" in the second edition that highlights some changes that have occurred since the original release.

@Stanimal, thanks for passing the word. Estimated release date? I'm eager to purchase it, but if 2nd edition is coming out in mere months I can hold out.

As far as an estimated release date, that I am not sure of. My best guess is before the end of the calendar year, so within the next three months. I've never written a book, but I would think from a marketing standpoint it makes sense to have your product available before the holiday shopping season ensues. Probably sell many more copies that way.

Back