The Illegal Drug Discussion Thread

Do you think the military will one day allow it?

The military will allow anything its civilian political bosses order it to allow. Commanders may balk and bitch about it at first—like many of them did over gays in the military or women in the infantry, etc—but ultimately they’ll have to toe the line.

If it’s going to happen, I don’t think it’ll happen soon. Maybe 5 years at the earliest, probably more like 10. But all contingent upon politics.

Will it be harmful in the ranks? I don’t see legalized pot causing anywhere near as many problems in the military as alcohol does. And I doubt there’d be too many people who’d be stupid enough to risk getting stoned before a combat patrol. I can’t imagine being stoned during a firefight.

I knew some teammates in VN who smoked pot. But they kept it discreet, only did it during low risk hours. The only reason I know is because the few guys that did it let us know where they kept it—right thigh pocket—so if they got hit we could remove it prior to medevac so they wouldn’t get charged with a crime along with a Purple Heart.

The Army has formed a team to implement the new policy using the same soldiers who crafted the current PT test events and guidance. They will be advised by retired members from the UCP selection team. Army leadership looks forward to a smooth transition once civilian guidance is issued.

The Army has formed a team to implement the new policy using the same soldiers who crafted the current PT test events and guidance. They will be advised by retired members from the UCP selection team. Army leadership looks forward to a smooth transition once civilian guidance is issued.
All I read was UCP team. That's a no for me, dawg.

The military will allow anything its civilian political bosses order it to allow. Commanders may balk and bitch about it at first—like many of them did over gays in the military or women in the infantry, etc—but ultimately they’ll have to toe the line.

If it’s going to happen, I don’t think it’ll happen soon. Maybe 5 years at the earliest, probably more like 10. But all contingent upon politics.

Will it be harmful in the ranks? I don’t see legalized pot causing anywhere near as many problems in the military as alcohol does. And I doubt there’d be too many people who’d be stupid enough to risk getting stoned before a combat patrol. I can’t imagine being stoned during a firefight.

I knew some teammates in VN who smoked pot. But they kept it discreet, only did it during low risk hours. The only reason I know is because the few guys that did it let us know where they kept it—right thigh pocket—so if they got hit we could remove it prior to medevac so they wouldn’t get charged with a crime along with a Purple Heart.

In my experience (albeit, a whopping 4 years), yes I think commanders will bitch and moan about it but will adapt, because all the junior company commanders are more risk adverse because they're just trying to stay afloat.

That being said, I'd rather deal with a stoned soldier than a drunk soldier. I'd lose my crap if people smoked during high stress environments, but it's the military, it'll happen. I've seen a good couple of instances where people would smuggle booze out during an FTX.

Troops will always tip toe on the edge of chaos...rather it be beer or weed if it becomes legal. Legal drugs should be tolerated and not used as excuses the first time someone messes up.

Higher ups use alcohol now to blame individuals and not further investigate into finding toxic climates or bad leadership. I Assume marijuana Will be the same.

"So and so did xxx because they suck!"

How about "so and so did xxx because you suck as a leader!"

I had a kid try to OD on cough syrup monthes after he left my team. I had it all worked out for him to go to ABN school and he was a rockstar. He got on another team, he bad leadership And it all went downhill. All the leaders played The blame game but never identified themselves as the problem.

My miss cleo palm reading.....Marijuana usage wont change anything. The military has way bigger issues then what troops do after work...

:thumbsup::ninja:8-)

That being said, I'd rather deal with a stoned soldier than a drunk soldier. I'd lose my crap if people smoked during high stress environments, but it's the military, it'll happen. I've seen a good couple of instances where people would smuggle booze out during an FTX.

SOCOM exercise = bar on site. I had a field grade provide the great gift of delicious scotch on one trip.

They will probably use the Canadian policy as reference.

DAOD 9004-1, Use of Cannabis by CAF Members - Canada.ca

This would be great ammo for a White Paper... *hmmm*

I worked a lot of murders where alcohol played a major role in the crime.

I worked "no" murders where the smoking of pot played a role in the crime.

Just food for thought....

iu

SAY IT LOUDER FOR THOSE IN THE BACK.

I guess if you are going to legalize a substance then this should be a given.

Biden pardoning all prior federal offenses of simple marijuana possession

I was just about to come share this.

Honestly, I'm surprised he's doing this, it seemed like something old Joe would keep fighting against. I was expecting we'd have to wait for a younger dem or a pro-weed Republican to be elected.

It's not full legalization yet, but if they change the scheduling that'll be a major step in that direction.

I was just about to come share this.

Honestly, I'm surprised he's doing this, it seemed like something old Joe would keep fighting against. I was expecting we'd have to wait for a younger dem or a pro-weed Republican to be elected.

It's not full legalization yet, but if they change the scheduling that'll be a major step in that direction.
I'm sure some conservative Governors will push back because its still not legal in their states. I don't smoke the shit, never have, but I don't care if someone else does. I drink alcohol which in my opinion has caused more problems in the world. I think Marijuana should be legalized nationwide, putting an end to the nonsense. Everyone won't agree.

I'm sure some conservative Governors will push back because its still not legal in their states. I don't smoke the shit, never have, but I don't care if someone else does. I drink alcohol which in my opinion has caused more problems in the world. I think Marijuana should be legalized nationwide, putting an end to the nonsense. Everyone won't agree.

I'm pretty much the same with your idea that alcohol is (overall society wise) worse and that weed should be legal.

Your point about conservative govenors does make me wonder what will happen when weed is fully removed from the drug schedule, which would effectively make it federally legal.

I'm pretty much the same with your idea that alcohol is (overall society wise) worse and that weed should be legal.

Your point about conservative govenors does make me wonder what will happen when weed is fully removed from the drug schedule, which would effectively make it federally legal.
Conservatives running for state office need to rethink their position on the issue. I think nowadays its a non- issue for a lot of non- smokers, but its definitely an issue for the consumers.

I'm glad it happened, but are they just keeping decisions in their back pocket for midterms now? Is that gonna be the norm? Or maybe it has been and I'm just now becoming old enough to realize it.
I'm sure the timing is political, everything is, but Democrats have leaned this way for awhile and it was just a matter of time. No surprises here.

In my state, the conservative led government is fighting to keep it illegal when it seems most people are fine with legalization.

Most Ohioans want recreational marijuana legalized

Last edited:
Back