The Marijuana Debate

Yeah lots of correlation.

What correlation are you looking for? The only correlation the authors are claiming is measurable structural abnormality in the brain that is observable in marijuana users. It's not the first study that has identified similar findings.

That said, the instant study is underpowered and has some other limitations. It's not the Holy Grail of cannabis research, but it is--as far as I know--the newest study to be published on the subject in a peer-reviewed journal.

What correlation are you looking for? The only correlation the authors are claiming is measurable structural abnormality in the brain that is observable in marijuana users. It's not the first study that has identified similar findings.

That said, the instant study is underpowered and has some other limitations. It's not the Holy Grail of cannabis research, but it is--as far as I know--the newest study to be published on the subject in a peer-reviewed journal.

I'm not looking for anything, i would just like to see causation when the headline for studies is "cannabis shown to cause brain damage."

Some enterprising youngsters out in Colorado.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/04/23/4th-grader-sells-pot-in-northern-colorado/

School officials in northern Colorado are asking parents to take care with their newly legal recreational marijuana, after fourth-graders were caught dealing the drug on an elementary school campus.
John Gates, director of safety for Weld County School District 6, said Wednesday that the students involved, three 10-year-old boys and a 10-year-old girl at Greeley's Monfort Elementary School, faced tough discipline but not suspension or expulsion. He would not elaborate on their punishment.

"This could not have happened had they secured their marijuana," Gates said of the grandparents, urging adults to take care with the drug. "Nothing good's going to come from having 10-year-olds find it, use it or take it to school."

More likely that medical marijuana leads to the legalization of recreational use, and maybe that would indeed increase the use in teens?

More likely that medical marijuana leads to the legalization of recreational use, and maybe that would indeed increase the use in teens?

But the study said.....not that, if you have more research than the quoted study post that shit up. But the consensus seems to say that when legalized in any capacity, marijuana use amongst adolescents decreases.

But the study said.....not that, if you have more research than the quoted study post that shit up. But the consensus seems to say that when legalized in any capacity, marijuana use amongst adolescents decreases.

Oh you and your "facts/science".

TLDR is always ruining emotional arguments with facts and studies... he's like the Grinch of arguments. :hmm::wall: Friggin Killjoy.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

How about taking it down a notch? I asked a question. This study says specifically that what I am asking is important. The study also says that the States in which this was passed already had high adolescent use.

Until 2011, no states allowed recreational marijuana use, but four states (Colorado, Washington, Alaska, and Oregon) and the District of Columbia have now passed laws permitting adult recreational use. Concerns exist that, at least to some extent, efforts to legalise medical marijuana are actually concealed efforts to eventually legalise recreational use. Because we examined only laws governing medical use, this report does not address the debate about legal recreational use. Research into the relationship between legalisation of recreational marijuana and adolescent marijuana use is important, but such associations cannot be inferred from the present study.

Our findings, consistent with previous evidence, suggest that passage of state medical marijuana laws does not increase adolescent use of marijuana. However, overall, adolescent use is higher in states that ever passed such a law than in other states.

New study that accounts for many of the variables discussed earlier in the thread(alcohol use, prior damage, age, gender) is out. They found no association between daily Marijuana use and brain abnormalities in both adults and adolescents.
Link: http://m.jneurosci.org/content/35/4/1505.abstract

Can't read the paper as you need a paid membership to view it.

How many people in the study, and how long ?

Can't read the paper as you need a paid membership to view it.

How many people in the study, and how long ?

I'm on my phone now, I used my wife's library access to read it before, 24 years of data on the subject though.

If a study of a million people over 24 years shows that marijuana use does not damage brain tissue, it will force many of us to abandon basically a lifetime of wrong thinking.

I would love to read the study, but at the moment, I'm still convinced using weed - especially in the younger years- does some kind of damage. I just know way too many stoners (admittedly very high quantity of use) who seemed to have stunted their brain function in some small- but often noticeable way. Granted, that's anecdotal, and a tiny number compared to the million people in the study, but I'd like to see the study.

If it's a "survey", I can already tell I'm going to have issues with it.

OK, it IS a survey, but not the kind I was thinking. It's a survey, as in, a review of the data (including MRI's), not a survey, as in "polling".

I was imagining maybe some kind of multiple choice questionnaire being filled out by stoners.

Back