The short History of MarSoc, Force and a whole lot o drama

You have to understand that while Marine Reconnaissance and MARSOC share a common history and similar skill sets, they are two different animals that are growing farther and farther apart. Marine Reconnaissance focuses on, you guessed it, reconnaissance while MARSOC is starting to focus more on mentoring and partnering. PP&O is anticipating that 100 0321 NCOs and SNCOs will come back to the 0321 community if given the option. A significant number, unfortunately will probably just get out.

You have to understand that while Marine Reconnaissance and MARSOC share a common history and similar skill sets, they are two different animals that are growing farther and farther apart. Marine Reconnaissance focuses on, you guessed it, reconnaissance while MARSOC is starting to focus more on mentoring and partnering. PP&O is anticipating that 100 0321 NCOs and SNCOs will come back to the 0321 community if given the option. A significant number, unfortunately will probably just get out.

You think that's the reason why the Corps was so hesitant to start MarSOC in the first place? I mean aside from the obvious relinqueshing of total control over them because they are now controlled by SOCOM.

Here's another question: MarSOC is under the control of SOCOM right? Does this mean that JSOC also has them as a resource? Am I confusing SOCOM and JSOC?

Recon guys are being sent through the MARSOC training pipeline the same as anyone else, which tends to turn a lot of guys off on the prospect of moving over. We have a hard enough time retaining recon guys after 4 years because of the way the Corps operates, so enticing them to reenlist and go through another training pipeline is going to be a real challenge.

My guess is that most of the guys that decide to stay will reenlist into one of the Force Companies and follow the 0321 career progression.

When you say "the same as everyone else" do you mean the entire Marine Corps? Like guys in MEU or the rest of the Corps can also go through MarSOC Indoc or whatever they call it now?

MARSOC is open to anyone in the Marine Corps. Well any male who is up for orders. I won't get into JSOC. The Marine Corps is a small organization and it is hurting us to give up so many qualified Marines and not have operational control over them. There is a MARSOC regiment, which doesn't sound like a lot but consider that we only have 7 active duty infantry regiments in the Marine Corps. That's why the Marine Corps resisted SOCOM.

You think that's the reason why the Corps was so hesitant to start MarSOC in the first place? I mean aside from the obvious relinqueshing of total control over them because they are now controlled by SOCOM.

Here's another question: MarSOC is under the control of SOCOM right? Does this mean that JSOC also has them as a resource? Am I confusing SOCOM and JSOC?

JSOC is subordinate to SOCOM, and JSOC's mission is joint SOF training and doctrine.

Back