Tinnitus

D

DDSSDV

Ringing in the ears. I looked it up and the cause is from exposure to abnormal conditions. Mine are a list...diving, weapons, machinery, water, etc. This has been going on for about a year and another diver bud of mine is in major discomfort from it. Is there a treatment? It sucks. The sounds are high pitched and continuous. I am seeing the Doc next week and want to give him an accurate solution. Foeget the "Quit doing what your doing " deal. Although diving isn't as frequent, I am in the water 2-3 times a week dependant on the swell. Any help appreciated.

My ears used to ring, my hearing got sensitive to loud noises and still is, I started to take more care around loud noises, fingers in ears on the street when passing construction/ambulances etc...

Cant say Ive noticed ringing for quite some time now, maybe im used to it.
I recall being told hearing once lost cannot be recovered.
Take extra care of what you have is my only laymans advice :2c:

I didn't see you plug your ears in the loud bar!!! :huh?:

Agreed...you need to take care of your hearing!!!

My ears used to ring, my hearing got sensitive to loud noises and still is, I started to take more care around loud noises, fingers in ears on the street when passing construction/ambulances etc...

Cant say Ive noticed ringing for quite some time now, maybe im used to it.
I recall being told hearing once lost cannot be recovered.
Take extra care of what you have is my only laymans advice :2c:

My Dad has it, from what I remember, there is no treatment. Its caused when loud noises essentially kill or permanently damage the hairs in the cochlea (the snail shell looking thing in your inner ear that all sound is funneled into, it goes through the fluid and you hear sound based on how the passing sound waves disturb the various hairs, longer hairs pick up the low pitch, smaller hairs pick up the higher pitch). When you are exposed to loud noises some of the hairs may become permanently damaged (bent, broken) or die. When this happens, you might wind up with a constant high pitch sound (the damage causes the hair to tell the attached nerve that there is always a high pitch sound). Because the higher pitch hairs are smaller, they are more easily damaged, which is why it manifests as a high pitched sound. Unfortunately there is no treatment.

I have always, as far back as I remember, had a constant high pitched sound. However, I score well above average on hearing tests in all frequencies. Probably not as bad as what you hear though. And I can still pick up the extremely high pitch sounds (like the sound a CRT TV makes when its on).

Afraid there is no Cure..The DOD here lost millions in hearing claims up to about 4 years ago..soldiers from the 60-70-80s were not supplied with proper hearing protection when on the range, from personal weapons up to artillery and took the DOD to the cleaners.

It pops up with me intermittently, I think the main culprit was standing close to that 20mm Vulcan without hearing protection when it fired off a volley.

And there were a few other loud noises in the years I spent in the Army.

Ringing in the ears. I looked it up and the cause is from exposure to abnormal conditions. Mine are a list...diving, weapons, machinery, water, etc. This has been going on for about a year and another diver bud of mine is in major discomfort from it. Is there a treatment? It sucks. The sounds are high pitched and continuous. I am seeing the Doc next week and want to give him an accurate solution. Foeget the "Quit doing what your doing " deal. Although diving isn't as frequent, I am in the water 2-3 times a week dependant on the swell. Any help appreciated.

Brother,

I've had it going on for years. Started from shootin' and loud booms without protection while on AD, to all the diving I've done.

I don't know how many times I've ruptured my "eardrums". Both ears have it, but it's worse in my left. Went and saw a doc, and he told me I've got tiny holes in my eardrums, and there's really nothing that can be done.

Some days are worse than others. I can tell when a weather front comes through. The ringing gets louder in my ears as the atmospheric pressure changes.

I feel your pain.

So I am finding out. Well at the very least I can grin and bare it. Beer doesn't even help...that sucks:(

So I am finding out. Well at the very least I can grin and bare it. Beer doesn't even help...that sucks:(

But it doesn't hurt EITHER. :doh:

I'm in the medical profession now. Trust me when I say, my advice to you....is to start drinking heavily. >:{ >:{

Hmm, there is something that can help, but I don't recall what it is. Ah, yes:

B12 - an Israeli study linked tinnitus to B12 deficiency. The only readily absorbable form of B12 is Methyl B12, or methylcobalamin. It's easy to find online, or in Whole Foods. Cheap, and no danger in supplementation.

Ginko -

http://www.lef.org/Lefcms/Template/...ts/abstr-105.html&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#4

Magnesium -

http://www.lef.org/Lefcms/Template/...ts/abstr-105.html&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#2

Hydergine and vinpocetine -

Hydergine, the ergot derivative, at a dosage level of 10-15 mg daily, has been shown to alleviate tinnitus in some people. In one study as little as 4.5 mg a day improved tinnitus by 57.1% (Jimenez-Cervantes et al. 1990). Vinpocetine, the cerebral vasodilator, can also be effective at a dosage of 20-40 mg daily. In one study, after acoustic trauma, tinnitus was improved 66% by using vinpocetine (Konopka et al. 1997).

http://www.lef.org/Lefcms/Template/...ts/abstr-105.html&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#6

There's something else I can't remember. Got something for memory? :D

Ive got it. For me, silence is deafening.......meaning the louder the noise, the less I hear the ringing. Right now, it's pretty quiet as I type, but the ringing is almost deafening.:uhh:

Did my explanation make since?:doh:

Ive got it. For me, silence is deafening.......meaning the louder the noise, the less I hear the ringing. Right now, it's pretty quiet as I type, but the ringing is almost deafening.:uhh:

Did my explanation make since?:doh:

Matter of fact, yes it did. That's why I have to have some type of background noise going all the time. I can't fall asleep unless I have a fan going... Some days it's a bit worse than others.

Just for shits and giggles, Im 80% SC. 10% is for Tinnitus.

Does anyone know how they (VA) come up with a number for this, and why?

Hmm, there is something that can help, but I don't recall what it is. Ah, yes:

B12 - an Israeli study linked tinnitus to B12 deficiency. The only readily absorbable form of B12 is Methyl B12, or methylcobalamin. It's easy to find online, or in Whole Foods. Cheap, and no danger in supplementation.

Ginko -

http://www.lef.org/Lefcms/Template/...ts/abstr-105.html&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#4

Magnesium -

http://www.lef.org/Lefcms/Template/...ts/abstr-105.html&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#2

I was just about to re post the info on mag and hearing protection I have posted in the past, but you already have it here. Good deal. Do you get the LEF mag? I write for them semi regular. I have an article in the recent issue (jan 07) on how to combat sarcopenia. Considering the fact these studies are done at military labs such as Natick, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, etc, and considering the fact they find it's a cheap safe way to help protect the hearing of troops, it's a mystery to me why they dont hand out mag. Walter Reed also found anti oxidants protects the lungs againts BLAST, and yet, no anti oxidants are issued. Hmmmmm

LEF mag? No, what is it? EDIT: Oh, duh, it's the link I posted. I just googled for it, but didn't look at the site. I'll check it out, thanks! :)

I'm all for supplementing troops with performance enhancing and health protecting stuff.

I'd have been popping hearing pills right and left if I could have, I fired WAY too many rounds without protection.

LEF mag? No, what is it? EDIT: Oh, duh, it's the link I posted. I just googled for it, but didn't look at the site. I'll check it out, thanks! :)

I'm all for supplementing troops with performance enhancing and health protecting stuff.

I'd have been popping hearing pills right and left if I could have, I fired WAY too many rounds without protection.

Right, LEF = Life Extension Foundation, which was your link. They make some of the best supps going and publish a decent mag which i write for semi regular. I have done some consulting work for them also, and as a rule, their products are top shelf, though a few of their formulas are "iffy" in my opinion. I have been trying to get the word out regarding the supps for troops info, via articles, forums like this one, seminars, etc, which has been slow going, but steady.

Back