Todd Jarret Shooting tips

8'Duece

Pistol and carbine in the prone shooting position. Todd is top notch instruction.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic826JrwiBs&NR=1"]YouTube - Blackhawk Tips with Todd Jarrett: Shooting Prone[/ame]

He's really pushing the BH products huh...

Good stuff, I liked the shifting points of aim by rolling on to your side and then rolling to the other side. If I can find a range that will allow me to do that, I will be giving it some training time!

Shooting on the move with Todd Jarret.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2zYvMpTeqI"]YouTube - Blackhawk Tips with Todd Jarrett: Shooting on the Move[/ame]

Notice the use of frangible ammunition when shooting close up on the steel. Do not try this at home without the proper frangible ammunition.

I'm going to get my head kicked but I need to ask. Is it wise to take notes from a competitive shooter and not a Military/LEO vet ? Always wondered about that since right now you can find all sorts of guys making money on tactical/practical weapons training.

I'm going to get my head kicked but I need to ask. Is it wise to take notes from a competitive shooter and not a Military/LEO vet ? Always wondered about that since right now you can find all sorts of guys making money on tactical/practical weapons training.

It's a fair question, but competitive shooting today, rather IDPA, USPA or IPSC incorporates many of the tactical employment methods applied by Todd Jarret over his 25 year career as a champion competitive shooter.

Over the years Todd has proven that most law enforcement methods being taught today are either out of date or simply wrong.

Todd Jarret is sought out by military and law enforcement agencies worldwide for instuction.

Heres more about Todd Jarret.

http://www.toddjarrett.com/

Not only that, but after viewing what he has to say, you can take away what you want..... and apply it to your own shooting. I read a lot about it and have taken diffrent courses and even if I only come away with one new idea/point, I am a better shooter for it.

So do IDPA, USPA or IPSC shooters have any word to say in the topic of effective weapon use in a critical situation ?

Ravage,

Just to give some idea of IDPA shooting. One of the founding members, Larry Vickers, was a long time member of both Special Forces and 1st/SFOD-Delta. He brought to the game years of his personal and professional shooting skill sets incorporated into the IDPA shooting sports. Nothing in IDPA would not be realistic, based on his personal experience. IDPA stretches the limits of ones ability to employ the pistol and carbine and shotgun in all tactical situations.

I was instructed by Todd Jarret at Blackwater USA for tactical pistol I and II. Noboby there, SEALs, SF, Rangers and LEO's argued with his teachings and instruction. Most would tell you it's far beyond what they've been taught at the unit or department level. Depending on the student.

HTH

Back to instuction. Todd Jarret on tactical reloading methods.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNjcubxfQA"]YouTube - Blackhawk Tips with Todd Jarrett: Tactical Reloads[/ame]

Great points, 82nd.

Ravage, there are some tasks where the military and civilian communities can learn from each other. A shooter without "1st SFOD-D" on his resume isn't necessarily a bad shot or someone to ignore. Some of the top IPSC and IDPA shooters contract with the military to teach them shooting techniques. Military Free Fall came about because of civilian skydiving methods, I'm sure the list goes on and on.

Hijack over. While I can't see the vids, keep up the good work 82nd. Jarret is a great shot and instructor.

Kneeling. More instruction on proper kneeling posture.

Kneeling while engaging targets. More instruction from Todd Jarret.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXSj8CH4x8[/ame]

Looks like it. Ok I'm gone, sorry to intrude :(

Ravage,

Don’t run off and don’t be afraid to ask a question. The first step to understanding what you do not understand is by asking a question. Over thinking shows interest and I am always willing to help someone with interest in what I enjoy. 82nd and SgtUSMC8541, are correct in both posts and it’s some great input/ advice.;)

Most LEO’s/ soldiers receive very basic instruction in marksmanship (basic mechanics, basic magazine changes, and a very dumbed down sight alignment and trigger control instruction). LEO’s like soldiers alike are taught simply enough to get them qualified for what ever qualification their state/ branch of service requires. What they modern tactical world has found, is that they fall under great scrutiny. Some punk lawyer ripping apart your training record, saying you were not trained well enough, or you missed here why? Not only is this happening, but you also see LEO’s and soldiers dieing from a lack of proper training, or in some cases they were trained to shoot on a range and not in a combat environment.

Since these issues have already been reviewed and diagnosed as problems, now you have to build a solution. Well most departments/ units do not have the ability or in some cases the trained instructor’s to train their force. So now you are looking for outsourced training. Well whom do you go too? Do you go to the local NRA bulls-eye shooter or do you go to the IDPA, USPA or IPSC shooter? What else is there?

The answer is that all forms of accurate shooting are developed through trial and error; some person gets out there on the range and tries out a new idea. Something that will allow them to improve their score of whatever course of fire they are shooting. The competitive shooter will refine their ability to shoot accurately to a level that is the best in their particular event. It’s the whole purpose for competing against another shooter, to become the best.

So now who do you pick, the practical/ tactical shooter or the bulls-eye shooter? It depends on the skill level of the shooter being taught. Bulls-eye shooters have the best sight alignment and trigger control and the practical/ tactical shooter has the best speed and employment. Personally I feel all shooters should start on a bulls-eye, until they have reached the ability and performance level to add speed. Then moving from standing still with no what if’s and slowly moves into the speed and employment of the weapon…

Now the issue of having competitive shooter training a LEO or soldier is very simple. They are training them to shoot, not to be LEO’s or soldiers. If Tom Jarret was showing handcuffing tactics in these video’s, well they would quickly be dismissed. However he is not, he is showing them to become safe, accurate and fast. All the tools needed to win in a gunfight.

The gunfight is won by the person who employs the weapon safer, faster and more accurately then the other person….:2c:

Notice the use of frangible ammunition when shooting close up on the steel. Do not try this at home without the proper frangible ammunition.

What?! Real men enjoy digging bits of metal out of their skin! :doh:

But seriously, what he said! You only have to dig some of that metal out of your cheek or other parts to realize that particular warning is for real, and ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting steel as bits can fly back much farther than you think. I got hit in several spots last week in fact. :p

Todd Jarrett on basic pistol shooting tips.

Back to instruction. Todd shares his years of experience in practical pistol shooting techniques.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48"]YouTube - Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.[/ame]

Good post. Now I see what you were talking about. That is the grip the instructors taught us. They taught the Weaver also but only two people in my platoon used it. I felt all goofy when I tried it.

Swingers, poppers and movers.

Todd explains the best way to engage swingers, poppers and movers during competition. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the real world application of these exercises. Back to instruction. :cool:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcqdBFAR08k[/ame]

Back