Training tips for BUD/S?

Specs, if you are determined and superbly fit and above average intelligence you should do well in the military. Not everyone is cut out for SOF. It does not mean you can not excel or contribute. It also should not be looked down on for those who have not made it into SOF. There is a place for everyone! You just have to find yours!

We all here want you to succeed and will encourage you.

But make sure you think about your posts a little more.

You are NOT high speed yet!

I can also tell you there are many who met or exceeded those minimum requirements and expectations who still fell short. But do not confuse that with those that HAVE succeeded in this elite brotherhood. There are those here who are the real deal! But they suffer no fools!

I am NOT SOF nor have I ever been. I did have the privlege to work with some of those high speed folks and got to support them on a few occasions. I even tried to become one. But I am one of those who did not succeed. Not everyone has what it takes!
The best of luck to you!

specs,
Drive on.

All, I think this thread can become solely about physical preparation and that we've covered the mental aspect to death.

Have you tried navyseals.com? Everything you're asking has been asked thousands of times before. What's a better investment of your time: posting a question and then waiting for days for replies to pile up OR spending 4 hours reading the de facto website of the very group you're trying to get in to.

Yea, thanks for recommending that site. I had passed over in my initial information search because it required me to register before doing viewing practically anything and I tend to avoid that unless recommended by an actual person. Great advice though. Anyone else reading this with SEAL aspirations should go to that site and just read. I'll probably be reading all the forums and every post for a while haha.

I only have two remaining questions I thought I would throw here just to get some extra opinions. First, does anyone think it would be worth the money to hire a swimming coach temporarily to really perfect my side stroke form? Second, does anyone have any direct experience or any generic suggestions for that workout plan? Thanks.

You might PM SAWMAN! He might be able to comment or guide you in a positive direction!

Yea, thanks for recommending that site. I had passed over in my initial information search because it required me to register before doing viewing practically anything and I tend to avoid that unless recommended by an actual person. Great advice though. Anyone else reading this with SEAL aspirations should go to that site and just read. I'll probably be reading all the forums and every post for a while haha.

I only have two remaining questions I thought I would throw here just to get some extra opinions. First, does anyone think it would be worth the money to hire a swimming coach temporarily to really perfect my side stroke form? Second, does anyone have any direct experience or any generic suggestions for that workout plan? Thanks.

For swimming - flutterkicks and finning.
For other PT, anything that will get you in top all around shape.

Set your 25m targets, achieve them and move to the next.

If you do enlist with a BUD/S contract on the DEP program then you will have a SEAL Motivator to work with for the entire time of your DEP.

These are generally former SEALs and or Navy Divers in some cases that will push you to achieve the appropriate scores on the PFT and in the pool. If your near open water, then you'll spend alot of time there also.

Read as much as you can over at NavySEALs.com. If you google enough, there is just about as much information as you can swallow on this topic.

Good Luck !!!

does anyone think it would be worth the money to hire a swimming coach temporarily to really perfect my side stroke form? Second, does anyone have any direct experience or any generic suggestions for that workout plan? Thanks.

1) No. Swim coaches tend to be expensive and probably won't know what the combat sidestroke is anyway. There was a time when Stew Smith would critique a tape you made of yourself swimming that you sent to him. It wasn't free but it was cheap in comparison to hiring a coach. Don't know if he still does that or not. Just an idea. Try this video. It's free.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUHudMN1TU[/ame]

2) I think the workouts look fine. Don't over think it. As long as you are doing something and improving, you're doing the right thing. Just go get some.

8'Duece is right. DEP in and you'll get your swim coach with it. They will run you into the ground.

DEP can at most be a year I thought I read correct? I wonder if I called a recruiter this week if they would put me in touch with a local mentor even though I wouldn't be able to sign my contract yet, not till May since I don't graduate till May of 2011. I'll probably wait until I at least finish the category I and II workouts before trying to get in touch with a mentor/coach though just so I'm not wasting their time. After a few years of inactivity Monday was rough but I managed to do everything in an hour. Long climb ahead of me, looking forward to it.

if your recruiter believes he can put you in eventually, he will get you in touch with the motivator for that region. he/they only swim like twice a month depending on your location, but that doesn't limit you.

Well the plan is to join the navy and try to get commissioned as an officer and become a SEAL or just enlist as a SEAL at first if that option isn't available and then apply to become an officer. Problem is I haven't worked out since high school but the good news is Im still in relatively good shape do to staying active playing hockey and have a year and a half till I graduate from college. Anyone got any good sites to look at? I was looking at this book, The Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness, Third Edition, because it got pretty good reviews. Also anyone know the best book for preparing for the ASVAB as from the practice tests its a lot of general knowledge and certain areas like mechanical comprehension I am definitely lacking. Probably going to get the 2009 edition of ASVAB for dummies as that got good reviews too and its only $10 but any other good book recommendations would be greatly appreciated.Also any input on how I'm going about reaching my current destination,Navy SEAL Officer, or if you can shed any light on the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

www.sealswcc.com go to preparation and do the training guide. Also there's a reason why people go enlisted. More operational time. Later on you can put your package in to be an officer, than you'll do more intel. based related schools. If I were you, I'd go enlisted so you can go to sweet schools, breacher, sniper, high performance driver etc. and get more operational time. Remember navy's motto. "Leaders are made, not born".

Back