Trayvon Martin Case

I haven't bought into anything. I think he should've let the police do their jobs. My son is only a little bit older than Martin was and I shudder to think that some neighborhood watchman could kill him just because he thought he looked 'suspicious'.

Lol. Haven't bought into anything? Your own words reveal the bias you already hold. Zimmerman claims he was attacked. What if that is true? Is it now still his fault because he didn't listen to some 911 dispatcher? Yet you apparently hold the opinion that he was a wannabe cop who was looking for trouble that went out and killed some kid for no other reason than suspicion. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. The media has done its best to ensure everyone already "knows" what happened before we get the facts though. It appears a lot of people are buying into that.

Aw so we're nitpicking? Gotcha. Ok I'll rephrase- "most 15-18 year olds do"
I've gotta say, DB, my kids will not wear thug outfits and pose like homos (not intended as a slur to actual gays) on Facebook.

Of course, posing one way or the other is- as I think Ex3 is trying to say- is in no way a reflection of guilt or even of being a bad kid.

But this isn't the point. The point is the media has overwhelmingly decided to paint a picture for all of us so we can get fired up and want to kill each other. It's shit-stirring, is it not? Maybe we can stop choking each other and posting bounties, and start demanding that the media do a better job?

Aw so we're nitpicking? Gotcha. Ok I'll rephrase- "most 15-18 year olds do"

Lol. Nope. Feel free to post whatever you want with qualitiative words like "every", "all", etc. Must be one of those under 20 things where you think you shouldn't be held accountable for making a statement without anything to back it up.

I've gotta say, DB, my kids will not wear thug outfits and pose like homos (not intended as a slur to actual gays) on Facebook.

Of course, posing one way or the other is- as I think Ex3 is trying to say- is in no way a reflection of guilt or even of being a bad kid.

But this isn't the point. The point is the media has overwhelmingly decided to paint a picture for all of us so we can get fired up and want to kill each other. It's shit-stirring, is it not? Maybe we can stop choking each other and posting bounties, and start demanding that the media do a better job?
Great post. I totally agree with the media using this issue to gain ratings and divide us- like they always do. His pictures don't define who he is- whether he really was a good kid or a troublemaker. Like I said earlier, people on both sides of this issue need to take a step back.

Lol. Haven't bought into anything? Your own words reveal the bias you already hold. Zimmerman claims he was attacked. What if that is true? Is it now still his fault because he didn't listen to some 911 dispatcher? Yet you apparently hold the opinion that he was a wannabe cop who was looking for trouble that went out and killed some kid for no other reason than suspicion. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. The media has done its best to ensure everyone already "knows" what happened before we get the facts though. It appears a lot of people are buying into that.
He called 911 and then followed the kid when he was repeatedly told not to. He likely wouldn't have felt that his life was in danger had he not pursued Martin. I'll say it one more time...based on what we know, if he had let the police do their jobs, Martin would probably be alive right now.

The judicial process is so fucked in this day and age by the media. Before a jury can be picked and instructed on their conduct as such, they've all been spoon fed the liberal point of view for the upcoming case.

He called 911 and then followed the kid when he was repeatedly told not to. He likely wouldn't have felt that his life was in danger had he not pursued Martin I'll say one more time...based on what we know, if he had let the police do their jobs, Martin would probably be alive right now.

And my point is that it is unfair to everyone to form opinions with an incomplete picture of what happened. I disagree with statements like, "Based on what we know, the kid would be alive if..." We don't know, so to speculate as to guilt one way or the other is premature. Half of America is ready to send Zimmerman to prison for life because of the "hate crime" he committed. Yet, the investigation isn't complete, legal experts agree that there is no evidence as of yet to make this a hate crime as defined by US code, and yet we still have our own President making statements that are going to sway public opinion.

Lol. Nope. Feel free to post whatever you want with qualitiative words like "every", "all", etc. Must be one of those under 20 things where you think you shouldn't be held accountable for making a statement without anything to back it up.
:rolleyes: The intent of my post was very clear- that the picture does not speak to the quality of his character, and that a photo like that is common amongst teenagers.

that the picture does not speak to the quality of his character, and that a photo like that is common amongst teenagers.

I agree with this. The Internet sucks for conveying intended meaning. ;)

And my point is that it is unfair to everyone to form opinions with an incomplete picture of what happened. I disagree with statements like, "Based on what we know, the kid would be alive if..." We don't know, so to speculate as to guilt one way or the other is premature. Half of America is ready to send Zimmerman to prison for life because of the "hate crime" he committed. Yet, the investigation isn't complete, legal experts agree that there is no evidence as of yet to make this a hate crime as defined by US code, and yet we still have our own President making statements that are going to sway public opinion.
I can agree with this. I don't know why the President feels the need to comment on an issue like this. It's the same as the whole "Beer Summit" thing that happened in 2009 with the cop from Boston- and we all remember how that issue turned out. Let the legal process take it's course and let Zimmerman be judged in the court of law and not the court of public opinion.

He called 911 and then followed the kid when he was repeatedly told not to. He likely wouldn't have felt that his life was in danger had he not pursued Martin. I'll say it one more time...based on what we know, if he had let the police do their jobs, Martin would probably be alive right now.

Source? The 911 op said "Are you following him?" Zimmerman replies, "Yep." The operator responds: "We don't need you to do that."

I'm not seeing an instruction/order in that statement. Perhaps there are other transcripts?

Apparently there is a witness who claimed that Z was fighting with the deceased and there are reports that Z had marks on his face as well as grass stains on his back: both support the claims he was in a fight and used his weapon when he felt threatened.

The deceased reportedly outweighed Z by 40 lbs and was taller.

Also, what are the legal guidelines as to following a dispatchers instructions? I've heard some 911 calls where some dispatchers say some pretty ridiculous things. What is the actual training given to dispatchers?

Here is a link to some more solid information, including the police report from that night.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/03/21/police-report-martin-death-details-scene-shooting

When the first officer arrived at the scene of the shooting, Zimmerman was in possession of a 9 mm handgun, was covered in grass, and was bleeding from his nose and the back of his head, according to the report.

Yep, definitely sounds like Zimmerman just followed the kid and shot him for no reason... 8-)

I'm not making any statement as to whether or not the shooting was justified, however according to the POLICE who arrived on the scene, they obviously felt that it WAS justified or else they would have arrested Zimmerman right then and there.

We can go all over the "what if" scenarios etc. What if the 17yr old WAS up to some trouble, and he broke into a home and decided to rape and murder somebody? Is there any evidence to substantiate this theory? Nope. But is there any evidence to support that Zimmerman is running around shooting 17yr old black kids because they're black, or he feels that he's some vigilante? No not at all.

I actually got into a huge argument with my sister about this whole thing the other day at lunch, and she couldn't believe that I said that there had to be more to the story.

Oh yeah, and I hate the MSM.

Here is another article that cites an eye witness...

The witness told FOX 35 in Orlando that he saw evidence of a fight between Martin and Zimmerman, which could lend credence to the gunman's claim that he was acting in self-defence.
'The guy on the bottom who had a red sweater on was yelling to me: "Help, help… and I told him to stop and I was calling 911,' he said.
Zimmerman was wearing a red sweater; Martin was in a grey hoodie.
He added: 'When I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point.'

I'm going to copy and paste what I wrote on Sawman's wall:

I don't care what the kid's FB pictures look like. By all accounts, he was unarmed and minding his own business. Martin ran away from him, so why did Zimmerman feel that he was in danger? Zimmerman was a wannabe cop out looking for trouble and he found it. In the past 15 months, he's called 911 46 times. There's something very wrong with that.

Martin was shot in the chest, which IMO would pretty much eliminate the possibility that Martin was running away.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/03/24/dc-crowd-calls-for-justice-for-trayvon-martin/

I'm not making any statement as to whether or not the shooting was justified, however according to the POLICE who arrived on the scene, they obviously felt that it WAS justified or else they would have arrested Zimmerman right then and there.

Whatever dude. It's all part of the police cover-up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/21/lawrence-odonnell-trayvon-martin_n_1369414.html

We can only trust what all the people in the Million-Hoodie March are saying. After all, they weren't there, they don't know anything about the shooter, the victim, or the situation, and they all are part of the disenfranchised segment of society that gets abused by the police every day. How could they be wrong?

The media is manipulating the story. There's no question of that.

Zimmerman did call 911 more often than the average citizen, but then again he was the neighborhood watch guy. He is supposed to call the police. Of course, that's where his involvement should end-extra eyes and ears are helpful, getting physically involved less so as this case illustrates.

A dispatcher's instructions carry no legal weight in PA and I doubt it's different in FL. I agree that being told the police don't "...need you to do that..." is radically different from, "Do not follow him; pull over and wait for the officer. Do not initiate contact with the male." However, it may be that Martin approached Zimmerman, and things went south from that point.

The police report presents some facts that are consistent with self-defense. They do not make the case completely, but they are suggestive of it. The only way to truly make the determination is with the aid of all available information including witness statements (and there is at least one that states Zimmerman was yelling for help-that's the voice on the tape, not Martin), forensic evidence, and a full cognitive interview with Zimmerman.

Just because Zimmerman was fighting with Martin does not give him the right to shoot him. There must be more than a simple fistfight to justify deadly force. That said, it is not illegal to shoot an unarmed person under certain conditions. Whether those existed is a matter for the homicide investigators and the prosecutor in Florida, not the court of public opinion. I did note that the police report has Martin at 6' and 160 lbs, and Zimmerman at 5'9" with no weight listed. Those are relevant facts. I've also heard Martin was a football player, and if true, that is also relevant.

Martin's dress is relevant, but how much depends on many factors.

Is this homicide justified? I don't know. I wasn't there and I didn't investigate it.

Oh yeah- fuck the Black Panthers.

What happened at MSU over the weekend?

Why are the BPs not offering a reward for this crime? :ninja:

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=16252

Dispatch Staff Report
March 25, 2012 10:37:27 AM

A student was shot to death at a Mississippi State University residence hall late Saturday night, prompting campus-wide alerts as authorities searched for suspects who fled the scene. The university held a press conference Sunday morning at 10 a.m. to release more details.

Bill Kibler, vice president of student affairs, stated the victim's name is John Sanderson, age 21, from Madison, MS. Sanderson is a first year student at MSU and transferred there from Holmes Community College.
Three male suspects reportedly fled the scene in a blue Crown Victoria. Authorities believe the suspects fled the campus and probably the city of Starkville. Twenty four students from adjacent rooms were relocated after the shooting primarily to preserve the crime scene. A gun was recovered on campus but authorities did not say where it was found.

As of mid-day Sunday, no arrests had been made. Kibler says the university cannot discuss the motive due to the ongoing investigation.

University President Mark Keenum announced he believes the shooting was an isolated incident, and there's no indication of any danger to other students; however, university and Starkville residents were cautioned to be aware of an African American male looking for a ride to Jackson.

“The portrayal of George Zimmerman in the media, as well as the series of events that led to the tragic shooting, are false and extremely misleading," Robert Zimmerman wrote. "Unfortunately, some individuals and organizations have used this tragedy to further their own causes and agendas. George is a Spanish-speaking minority with many black family members and friends. He would be the last to discriminate for any reason whatsoever."

Source;
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0...-and-why-did-he-shoot-Trayvon-Martin/(page)/2

Back