Trayvon Martin Case

Here is what he will be tried against:

Q. When can I use my handgun to protect myself?
A. Florida law justifies use of deadly force when you are:
  • Trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm;
  • Trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.
Using or displaying a handgun in any other circumstances could result in your conviction for crimes such as improper exhibition of a firearm, manslaughter, or worse.
Example of the kind of attack that will not justify defending yourself with deadly force: Two neighbors got into a fight, and one of them tried to hit the other by swinging a garden hose. The neighbor who was being attacked with the hose shot the other in the chest. The court upheld his conviction for aggravated battery with a firearm, because an attack with a garden hose is not the kind of violent assault that justifies responding with deadly force.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/self_defense.html

Guessing you've never heard of citizens arrest...

Guessing your not aware that there are minimum standards that have to be met before you can legally make a citizens' arrest. Walking down the street and someone interpreting that as suspicious probably is not going to meet the standard of "probable cause" or "being in the presence" requirement for making a citizens' arrest.

Florida law does not have any specific statutes on citizen's arrest. This is because all relevant information on citizen's arrest law is placed under the concept of a police officer arresting someone outside of his jurisdiction. Under Florida law, this is the same as a "citizen's arrest." In the Florida Court of Appeals case "Ripley v. The State of Florida" (2005), it was made clear that the content of citizen's arrest law is identical to an officer arresting someone outside of their normal jurisdiction.

Florida law does not have any specific statutes on citizen's arrest. This is because all relevant information on citizen's arrest law is placed under the concept of a police officer arresting someone outside of his jurisdiction. Under Florida law, this is the same as a "citizen's arrest." In the Florida Court of Appeals case "Ripley v. The State of Florida" (2005), it was made clear that the content of citizen's arrest law is identical to an officer arresting someone outside of their normal jurisdiction.

Nice link thanks for sharing.

Just heard that another witness has come forward.

He is saying he's willing to make written testimony that Zimmerman followed T. from a distance, and at some point, dropped off the chase, went back to his car. T. then came flying over and sucker punched him. Zimmerman fell to the ground and T. began raining punches down, to which Zimmerman began calling for help.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/2...new-details-of-zimmermans-self-defense-claim/

The report, released online Monday afternoon, claims Zimmerman told them Martin attacked him as he headed back to his SUV, was knocked to the ground with a single blow, and then had his head smashed into the ground by Trayvon, who was on top of him.

Bloodied and battered, he claims he shot the teen in self defense.

The disturbing new report comes as demands for an arrest in the case have grown nationwide. Zimmerman was not charges, after police ruled there was no evidence to dispute the self defense claim.

Police have not released the incident report, and because there has been no arrest, there is no arrest report to examine. A mugshot that might have showed the extent of Zimmerman’s alleged injuries is not available, again, because there was no arrest.

The Orlando Sentinel, pointing out police had been unwilling to talk, offered a basic timeline of event. The newspaper did not identify the person who provided the information.

And:
Trayvon Martin case: Martin was the aggressor, police sources say

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/la-na-nn-trayvon-martin-case-20120326,0,5662656.story

[snip] ...police sources say Martin was the aggressor on Feb. 26, knocking Zimmerman to the ground with a single punch and then climbing on top of the 28-year-old neighborhood watch captain and slamming the back of his head into the ground. Police say this account, given by Zimmerman, is supported by eyewitnesses, according to the Sentinel's report.

One such witness reportedly told police that he saw Martin on top of Zimmerman, striking the man, while Zimmerman cried out for help. The attack left Zimmerman bloodied, police sources told the Sentinel, and led him to fire at Martin in self-defense.

Police say Zimmerman was bleeding from the nose, had a fat lip and confirm that the back of his head was cut. He received first aid at the scene but refused to go to the hospital and received medical treatment the following day, according to the Sentinel's sources.
The Sentinel's story also makes public new details about the circumstances leading up to the deadly confrontation between Zimmerman and Martin.

At the time, Martin was suspended from high school after he was found to be in possession of an empty marijuana baggie, according to the Sentinel. Martin's school has a "zero-tolerance" drug policy, the newspaper added.

It isn't illegal for Zimmerman to "follow" Martin, and to keep him under "surveillance" if you want to call it that. From these reports, it sounds like Martin didn't appreciate the gesture very much, came back and sucker punched Zimmerman.

Guessing your not aware that there are minimum standards that have to be met before you can legally make a citizens' arrest. Walking down the street and someone interpreting that as suspicious probably is not going to meet the standard of "probable cause" or "being in the presence" requirement for making a citizens' arrest.

Nope, never covered it before. I figured since they gave me a gun I just shot anyone who showed up on company property without a properly displayed company ID.

If, at night, I were walking down a street, doing nothing wrong and a suspicious vehicle followed me..... and I took the time to go a direction that the car couldn't go... and then the driver got out of the vehicle and began running in pursuit of me, you bet your ass I'd turn around and start swinging, if I weren't armed.

So yes, based on the reports provided it sounds like maybe Zimmerman did shoot Travyon in self defense, but it also sounds like his "fear for his life moment" happened after he did something that created the physical altercation in the first place.

Sadly, we'll probably never know the whole, true story.

If, at night, I were walking down a street, doing nothing wrong and a suspicious vehicle followed me..... and I took the time to go a direction that the car couldn't go... and then the driver got out of the vehicle and began running in pursuit of me, you bet your ass I'd turn around and start swinging, if I weren't armed.

So yes, based on the reports provided it sounds like maybe Zimmerman did shoot Travyon in self defense, but it also sounds like his "fear for his life moment" happened after he did something that created the physical altercation in the first place.

Sadly, we'll probably never know the whole, true story.
I personally have begun to form the opinion that Zimmerman was a good guy who has been smeared in all of this.

• According to the facts, this neighborhood was getting burglarized all the time.
  • Zimmerman had previously stopped burglaries in progress, coordinating those efforts with police.
  • Zimmerman did not put the program (Community Watch) together, the HOA in his area did.
  • Zimmerman was not "self appointed" as ABC News falsely reported here; he was selected by his HOA
  • Zimmerman made himself aware of the law, including attending a 4 month course on the subject.
One must also consider that Zimmerman was not the vigilante he is being made out to be. It was a legitimate Neighborhood Watch program put together with the assistance and ongoing guidance of the Sanford Police Department, and he wasn't an racist idiot, but an informed citizen with 4 months of basic education on the topic and an otherwise sterling record, including the interruption of other crimes.

In 2008, Zimmerman enrolled in the Seminole County Sheriff's Office citizens' law-enforcement academy, a four-month-long, one evening a week course consisting of a total of 14 hours of classes.[38][39] He reportedly expressed ambitions of becoming a member of law enforcement, writing: "I hold law enforcement officers in the highest regard and I hope to one day become one."[40] In 2009, he re-enrolled in Seminole State College and was working toward an associate degree with the goal of becoming a police officer.[41] Seminole State College withdrew Zimmerman's enrollment because of this shooting controversy "based solely on our responsibility to provide for the safety of our students on campus as well as for Mr. Zimmerman."[42]

The February 2012 HOA newsletter requested that crime victims "call our captain, George Zimmerman" after calling the police.[13] Wendy Dorival, who organizes Neighborhood Watch for the Sanford Police Department, told the Sentinel in a recent interview that Zimmerman was chosen as a watch coordinator by his neighbors.[46]

Some residents of his gated townhouse community declared that Zimmerman was known for being strict and that he went door to door asking them to be on the lookout for "young black men who appear to be outsiders", while others regarded him as "normal," "helpful" and "passionate about neighborhood security", having supposedly thwarted a previous burglary attempt.[34] The community reportedly experienced numerous instances of burglary, theft, and one shooting during the previous year, with 402 calls made to the police."[34] According to the Miami Herald, Zimmerman had placed 46 of those calls since the beginning of 2011, "to report disturbances, break-ins, windows left open and other incidents; nine of those times, he saw someone or something suspicious".[34] Sanford police chief Bill Lee stated, "Mr. Zimmerman was not acting outside the legal boundaries of Florida Statute by carrying his weapon when this incident occurred."[47]

It's amazing that so many people here seem to know exactly what happened. :rolleyes: Now we have Martin taking evasive procedures and Zimmerman chasing him down at a run. Funny, none of the reports have mentioned those details. In fact, they have Zimmerman heading back to his car when he was attacked.

It's amazing that so many people here seem to know exactly what happened. :rolleyes: Now we have Martin taking evasive procedures and Zimmerman chasing him down at a run. Funny, none of the reports have mentioned those details. In fact, they have Zimmerman heading back to his car when he was attacked.
I heard he's really a robot.

A critical detail not being reported by the MSM.

Along with the fact that he is part Hispanic. The MSM has continually attempted to make this out to be a white on black crime in order to further evoke emotional outlash. It is rare to see an article mention his true ethnicity. Jesse Jackson is going so far as to compare this to the 1955 Emmett Till murder.

Jesse Jackson is going so far as to compare this to the 1955 Emmett Till murder.
When I saw first saw that comparison I could not believe my eyes. Comparing this to Emmett Till is a complete slap in the face to that poor kid (Emmett). CNN is sure running with the comparison though. In fact, CNN is the most blatant source of misinformation of this case IMO. Check out their website. They can't get enough of this.

I disagree with how you stated this - I'm not saying I know what happened. What I posted was to show another side to the story. I do agree with you that I wasn't there, so I don't know what what happened to start the altercation. But if he was in his car following the guy, then got out of his car and followed on foot (just leisurely following to see where the guy went .... not even pursuing) in the other persons position, the fight or flight response would immediately go up. If someone followed me in a car then got out on foot to follow me.... I am at the point where I am in fear for my safety and if I felt I could not out run them... I can absolutely empathize with that kind of situation escalating and see how Trayvon Martin may have come out of the gate with both fists flying.

Back