TReMoR 2 Reticle

redmedic86

Unverified
What does everybody think about the new TReMoR 2 Reticle and the future of it's use with miltary snipers? I used this reticle for a four day course in the last 2 months and I had an awesome experience with it.

That's exactly what it is(a modified Horus). But it takes all the thought out of your wind calls. If you can just teach team guys to read winds then they don't even need to know that wind calculations. In conjunction with the kestrel then you don't even need to teach guys on the team how to use a BDC to change their elevation and their good with hold overs out to about 860. I love this reticle for your DM's on the team.

Everybody should be good enough with Iron sights that out to 300 you can hit a man-sized target 9/10... used to be a requirement for the Light Weapons Course at the Q, but that is now a pipe dream since ACOGs came into play... over the barrel under 75m...

Over 300, hell yeah, but know how to DOPE your target too.

Not everybody in the Army needs to be a DM/Sniper, a good shot, yes, but most people should not engage past 200m anyway, let your DM/sniper force the main body into a channel at 200m. And forget about my views on burst/auto for most weapons...

And forget about my views on burst/auto for most weapons...

Back in the day I used to have my weapon on auto, but then again I was a lead scout in a close country environment, and I was using a two stage trigger. It has it's uses.

Well aimed, well placed, controlled fire is the most effective way to neutralize a target. Even automatic fire, except in cases of point man in close terrain, should be aimed, placed bursts or traversed while from a mounted (bi-pod/tri-pod) position through targets of opportunity or on an FPL/FPF taking into account the heat buildup in the barrel/receiver (a runaway gun sucks, and yes, the AR platform if hot enough will run away). It has been shown in battlefield situations that indiscriminate use of automatic fire does not cause more damage to the enemy, but only expends valuable ammunition at a much higher rate. Thus, my statement that most uses of full auto are not warranted...

...fun as hell, yeah, useful or accurate, notsomuch.

Well aimed, well placed, controlled fire is the most effective way to neutralize a target. Even automatic fire, except in cases of point man in close terrain, should be aimed, placed bursts or traversed while from a mounted (bi-pod/tri-pod) position through targets of opportunity or on an FPL/FPF taking into account the heat buildup in the barrel/receiver (a runaway gun sucks, and yes, the AR platform if hot enough will run away). It has been shown in battlefield situations that indiscriminate use of automatic fire does not cause more damage to the enemy, but only expends valuable ammunition at a much higher rate. Thus, my statement that most uses of full auto are not warranted...

Agree 100%

We (4 man recon) were trained that only the first mag upon being ambushed was to be fired on auto and then only by the lead scout, after that semi only, with the possible exception of closing into the last 5-10m of the enemy or being overrun.

Also sucks balls when your gas tube melts and your weapon wont cycle at all....thus turning an M16/M4 into a WW1 bolt action rifle.

Good post Troll!

As for the reticle, it's a bit busy for me...I prefer mil dots and or mil 1/2 mil hash marks. The ACOG TA31F is shit hot SDM optic IMO.

You know I disagree with that, but thats neither here nor there. The AR platform is one of the best used in history and they are a very effective combat rifle, just not a good machine gun.

True. I think most major spec ops units in the world use it, that by itself speaks volumes. The fact that it has been in service for well over 40 years is testament enough that it is a great design.

...If you can just teach team guys to read winds then they don't even need to know that wind calculations. In conjunction with the kestrel then you don't even need to teach guys on the team how to use a BDC to change their elevation and their good with hold overs out to about 860...

If it were only that simple.

No matter the precision of the wind formula it can only be as precise as the shooter/spotter's ability to judge the wind to begin with. A kestrel is fine for atmospherics but unless you can place it 2/3rds the distance to the tgt it honestly does little good.

Fact is, how many snipers* can accurately call wind when they havent done so for some time yet we want DMs to do it with their little training and time behind a long gun or spotting scope.

Piston guns (SCAR), especially when suppressed, get so hot in the hand guard that you have to wear gloves to shoot them. My hand is never over the bolt so it doesn't matter when I shoot gas direct guns- it's all a tradeoff. Piston guns also have "push-pull" recoil because of the greater reciprocating mass- slower to shoot.

As for the Tremor, the H-58 is awesome, and it's basically an H-58 ver 2.0- awesomer. It would be great if we started getting Nightforce optics with H-58 or Tremors on the SPRs.

Back