"Unauthorized" Weapons

my dad was an infantry advisor in vietnam with RF/PF. needless to say they had a smorgasbord of weapons. My favorite photo is him with .38 on his hip and a grease gun in his hand after a patrol :). He also carried the M1 carbine, while he said the rf/pf carried carbines, M1 garands, french weapons, and the occassional AK

I did what your dad did.

VN was flooded with surplus M-1 Carbines in the early years because it was figured the ARVNs, who were generally small people, could handle them better than M-1s or M-14s. That changed when 16s started getting issued.

mearvn.jpg

I've got my "unauthorized" .38 on my hip. Don't make fun of my f*ckin Buddy Holly glasses...and you'd be skinny too after 6 months on a c-rats-only diet and humping 70+lbs nightly in high humidity. And BTW, that's "V" for victory, not a f*ckin peace sign. As you were.

PS...see that white dot on my right boot? We put our dog tags in our boot laces so 1. they wouldn't clink and 2. even if there was nothing left of you to find, they'd probably find your boots.

On the .45, there are multiple units out there packing a 1911 or a Sig.
Just like the one my grandfather carried on his hip during his 30 year Army career covering two world wars! :)

We weren't allowed to carry anything that wasn't issued.

What sucked the most, was seeing all of those AK's still in the crates and we weren't allowed to keep one.:(

You veterans and active duty might find this quote interesting, "After Action Reviews done by the Marines after the early phases of Operation Iraqi Freedom revealed that urban warfare scenarios made employment of the M16A2 difficult in some situations; Marines were picking up short AK-47s with collapsible butt-stocks, or scrounging pistols for use inside buildings."

The entire article can be found here:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/#more-3289

Interesting article. Would love to hear from Veterans and currently active duty people.

I have no doubt that it happened, but this was also before the Fobbits and lawyers showed up. Once the Fobbits set up shop you would be an idiot to illegally carry a foreign weapon.

You veterans and active duty might find this quote interesting, "After Action Reviews done by the Marines after the early phases of Operation Iraqi Freedom revealed that urban warfare scenarios made employment of the M16A2 difficult in some situations; Marines were picking up short AK-47s with collapsible butt-stocks, or scrounging pistols for use inside buildings."

The entire article can be found here:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/#more-3289

Interesting article. Would love to hear from Veterans and currently active duty people.

I did what your dad did.

VN was flooded with surplus M-1 Carbines in the early years because it was figured the ARVNs, who were generally small people, could handle them better than M-1s or M-14s. That changed when 16s started getting issued.

I've got my "unauthorized" .38 on my hip. Don't make fun of my f*ckin Buddy Holly glasses...and you'd be skinny too after 6 months on a c-rats-only diet and humping 70+lbs nightly in high humidity. And BTW, that's "V" for victory, not a f*ckin peace sign. As you were.

PS...see that white dot on my right boot? We put our dog tags in our boot laces so 1. they wouldn't clink and 2. even if there was nothing left of you to find, they'd probably find your boots.

I wasn't able to view the pic. PM me.

I carried a AK 47 (folder) on some patrols, I had a SVD we grabbed in a raid and kept in my plt room and a former IP's G19 with night sights, with 1 small scratch from when he droped it. The blood came off with a little CLP and was good as new.;) Even sold it to a Olivegroup guy for $1,000 when I left...

Of course that was in 04-05, I would not have dared to carry that stuff now. It's retarded as hell around her:(

My brother brought over a custom m9 and an spr upper last time but he was chided for it. It depends on the unit. This trip we are bringing custom m4 cans that our Corporation built. They are going to be tough as a rock and possibly the quietest m4 cans ever built. we'll have to see.

I have no doubt that it happened, but this was also before the Fobbits and lawyers showed up. Once the Fobbits set up shop you would be an idiot to illegally carry a foreign weapon.

I guess our ZU-23 single barrel version that was our end-all entry point and perimeter defense at our FOB would have been frowned upon if those fobbits and lawyers actually left the wire LOL

Back