United States & Gun Control discussion.

And if this is, in fact, a marketing stunt - kudos to Dick's for seeing these chances.

Except that its deceptive if their Field and Stream stores are still selling ARs, and if Field and Stream does stop selling ARs and raises the age to 21,
I think that will hurt them significantly. I live by a Field and Stream store and they sell a lot of ARs, .223 & 5.56, and accessories.

Last edited:
Except that its deceptive if their Field and Stream stores are still selling ARs.

Much of marketing can involve creating a perception that's true only in the minds of a target demographic.

Further kudos if Dick's manages to keep the AR revenue stream going in this way, IMO. They'd have a chance of pulling it off if taking advantage of another issue with boycotts - keeping the public's attention past the next news cycle.

So you applaud the deception and the manipulation of the media, not so much the announcement regarding the AR-15, right?

Gosh, no - take ARs off the market, I say.

I applaud any business that can maneuver to maintain a revenue source in such a circumstance, unless it can be argued that continuing to sell product at a subsidiary store is genuinely deceptive advertising.

I would doubt this to be the case here, though, as Field and Stream no longer sell assault type rifles at any of their stores as of last month.

Gosh, no - take ARs off the market, I say.

I applaud any business that can maneuver to maintain a revenue source in such a circumstance, unless it can be argued that continuing to sell product at a subsidiary store is genuinely deceptive advertising.

I would doubt this to be the case here, though, as Field and Stream no longer sell assault type rifles at any of their stores as of last month.

Why do you think the AR or any firearm for that matter should be taken off the market?

I think the AR's ballistics and overpenetration belong on the battle field.

Are you aware of the ballistics of the .223? Are you aware that in most states it's a varmint round not suitable for large game? Are you aware that other weapons platforms use the .223 cartridge?

You, like most seem to be uneducated about firearms. The AR has no ballistics its simply the system used to discharge the cartridge. You see something that resembles something "military" and fear it.

I would also suggest you read D.C. V Heller.

Last edited:
I think the AR's ballistics and overpenetration belong on the battle field.

You’re either baiting someone into something or have very little understanding of the 5.56 round. A 12 gauge slug fired from a Remington 870 with an 18” barrel will penetrate further than most 5.56 rounds.

I could be wrong but think the difference between myself and the mounting dogpile here is that I don't want to see my home country as a battlefield. Weapons intended for the battlefield should stay there, IMHO.

My surprise that I would even need to argue that the rounds from an AR can cause horrific damage to humans doesn't motivate me to go further down this avenue, so I don't think I will.

I could be wrong but think the difference between myself and the mounting dogpile here is that I don't want to see my home country as a battlefield

Which members exactly do you believe are looking to see America as a frontline?

Which members exactly do you believe are looking to see America as a frontline?

Any one who believes that guns meant for the battlefield need to be used outside that environment for civilian purposes. I should think this applies to the dogpile.

My fault if that wasn't clear.

Any one who believes that guns meant for the battlefield need to be used outside that environment for civilian purposes. I should think this applies to the dogpile.

My fault if that wasn't clear.
I'm not dog piling....but just so I understand. Are you saying that my using a .223 AR type rifle for target shooting and hunting small game means that I am in favor of a homeland battlefield?

I'm not dog piling....but just so I understand. Are you saying that my using a .223 AR type rifle for target shooting and hunting small game means that I am in favor of a homeland battlefield?

In favor of it? I don't know that this was ever suggested.

Anyone who keeps a rifle meant for the battlefield when they're not in or going to one - I do question their perception of the environment they are in and why they would need to have it.

Granted, the law is currently on the side of those who do believe they need one, even for purposes like hunting or targets, but I would think it likely that past and future bans on such guns included discussion about their necessity in our civilian environment.

Back