United States & Gun Control discussion.

You don't need it, until you do. Then it's too late. Owning ARs is hardly unreasonable, and those who argue that they belong only on battlefields are practicing an astonishing level of ignorance.

Any one who believes that guns meant for the battlefield need to be used outside that environment for civilian purposes. I should think this applies to the dogpile.

My fault if that wasn't clear.

So, you'd advocate the banning of things like the M1911 pistol, which was developed specifically for the military? I'm trying to clarify your position.

Anyone who keeps a rifle meant for the battlefield when they're not in or going to one - I do question their perception of the environment they are in and why they would need to have

Considering my assigned m4 does semi and auto, I'm not sure if I would want my personal one, nor am I allowed anyway.

Hunting wild boar in Florida worked really with my personal rifle. Just going to range every so often is nice. Don't get much military range time now that I'm a reservist and shooting similar enough to my assigned weapons is great.

Me collecting guns and buying accessories for them is no different than spending money on a car.

So, you'd advocate the banning of things like the M1911 pistol, which was developed specifically for the military? I'm trying to clarify your position.

Yes.

As an aside, I've always been in favor of the military returning to the use of .45 ACP for it's ability to create a large permanent wound channel, as well as it's extensive tissue penetration.

I suppose it can be argued that these qualities are needed on a frequent enough basis for target shooting, home defense, or hunting with a pistol to warrant use by civilians, but again, that's not an avenue I think I'll be going down.

Just to interject, the assault weapons ban currently proposed by a Rhode Island Democrat includes semi-auto pistols with detachable magazines.

Both proposed AWBs floating around allow current owners to keep their firearms.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Yes.

As an aside, I've always been in favor of the military returning to the use of .45 ACP for it's ability to create a large permanent wound channel, as well as it's extensive tissue penetration.

I suppose it can be argued that these qualities are needed on a frequent enough basis for target shooting, home defense, or hunting with a pistol to warrant use by civilians, but again, that's not an avenue I think I'll be going down.

Thank you for the honest answer. Your comments about the caliber raise another question, though.

Is your objection to the AR and 1911 based on your perception of their ballistics i.e. the caliber itself, or the military’s use of the platform?

That is to say, do you also think the Ruger Mini-14 and Glock 30 should be banned?

To be clear, I am pro AR and will never support confiscation. However, I don't believe every NRA hat wearing, gun enthusiast who swears that the government will have to pry their guns from their cold dead fingers will actually live up to it. Some certainly will, but I think many are just blowhards.

To be clear, I am pro AR and will never support confiscation. However, I don't believe every NRA hat wearing, gun enthusiast who swears that the government will have to pry their guns from their cold dead fingers will actually live up to it. Some certainly will, but I think many are just blowhards.

Let's hope we are never taken to task...

Thank you for the honest answer. Your comments about the caliber raise another question, though.

Is your objection to the AR and 1911 based on your perception of their ballistics i.e. the caliber itself, or the military’s use of the platform?

That is to say, do you also think the Ruger Mini-14 and Glock 30 should be banned?

The military use aspect.

I realize that the .223 hasn't the same characteristics as the 5.56x45, for example, but why on earth would someone need a semi auto assault rifle platform to hunt?

The military use aspect.

I realize that the .223 hasn't the same characteristics as the 5.56x45, for example, but why on earth would someone need a semi auto assault rifle platform to hunt?

It seems to me you are making decisions based on aesthetics. Many (non-military) rifles are functionally identical to the AR-15 and fire the same round, but since your objection is military adoption and type classification rather than caliber, by your logic these rifles are OK. Ditto, an HK45 whose performance with the .45ACP is nearly identical to the 1911 (and can be configured so that the fire control systems are identical).

As to their utility for hunting, well...the Second Amendment isn’t about hunting. I’m sure you know that, and I won’t sway your opinion.

The military use aspect.

There are better rounds in Civilian use right now than we're using in the Army. A great one is the Berger 6.55 chambered in .264 WINMAG. I chamber the same round in .260 REM and it's amazing.

So, um, I have a question @DocIllinois since you seem rather daft.

Would you rather I have 8 rounds of 30-06 through a fought-in-a-war-and-won M1 Garand purchased through the Civilian Marksmanship Program, or a variable magazine count of a round with significantly less ballistic energy through a rifle that is based off of, but isn't, a rifle used in combat?

Back