United States & Gun Control discussion.

AR57 uppers or 9mm are no longer a thing? I honestly didn't know, I appreciate that.

I do recognize the continued efforts here, brother. I should hope we both realize, though, that this will be a back and forth about why civilians require beyond a certain level of lethality in any of their their guns for the purposes for which they're used, with a response(s) about how that doesn't matter because the citizenry is allowed to own whatever we choose within the current law but anyway here are the practical reasons, ad nauseum.

Being a reader in this thread is the way for me to go at this point, I think.

Oh, you can get an AR-15 in different calibers. Some of them are more effective than 5.56 NATO. But that wasn’t my point.

It’s also important to state that even though a 9mm AR is less potent than a 5.56, it is much easier to shoot accurately and quickly than a pistol, so its utility for killing is increased. Therefore I’m not sure it meets your definition of modified to be less effective at killing.

Last edited:
Truth doesn’t matter.

That's the sad part of this entire discussion. The lack of application of reality, and actual steps that would increase survivability in the inevitable bypass of humanity's best efforts in prevention of evil. Instead, let us all place our testicles upon the block and accept the chop in the name of the children.

I have know Dicks since it had one store on Upper Court St in an Upstate NY town. Perhaps it is the roots of that strongly Democratic color bleeding through.

On the larger scale, since the Parkland, Fl shootings, the AR-15/M-16, along with the NRA, are turning into a political “third rail”. It makes one wonder if throwing the left their ever targeted assult rifle bone, and being done with it.

The other side of the coin is that it could be the worse mistake the NRA ever made. The assult rifle “victory” could simply be the green light the left needs to go after any and all semi automatic weapons. That would include my Glock and that would be my personal “cold dead fingers” stance.

This is a dangerous time for the Second Amendment, the NRA, and gun owners nation wide.
The left has already proposed a bill to ban all semi automatic firearms including our glocks.

House Democrats introduce bill prohibiting sale of semi-automatic weapons

And so it begins...

20-year-old sues Dick’s, Walmart over new age-restrictions on rifles

As a private business doesn't Dicks and Walmart both have the legal right to decide who they want to sell to? Where I work, we have the option to ban someone from using our services if we feel they are being disruptive or not adhering to our standards (distracting to other customers, overly obnoxious, break a law, violent, etc.) Oregon law is that you can buy a rifle at 18, so can these stores still limit who they sell to? Or would they have to make a state wide concession to match the law?

As a side note I think the request for punitive damages is a little ridiculous and quite frankly I hope he recieves none.

And so it begins...

20-year-old sues Dick’s, Walmart over new age-restrictions on rifles

As a private business doesn't Dicks and Walmart both have the legal right to decide who they want to sell to? Where I work, we have the option to ban someone from using our services if we feel they are being disruptive or not adhering to our standards (distracting to other customers, overly obnoxious, break a law, violent, etc.) Oregon law is that you can buy a rifle at 18, so can these stores still limit who they sell to? Or would they have to make a state wide concession to match the law?

As a side note I think the request for punitive damages is a little ridiculous and quite frankly I hope he recieves none.

If your state has a law forbidding discrimination for age in public accommodations then no, Dick’s can’t arbitrarily refuse to sell to anyone under 21. PA has a law banning age discrimination.

Back