US Marshal Service Questions about Quality of life and career

I thought you had to be at least an E-8 to be disgruntled and old.

I turned 26 on my second day of boot camp. My disgrunted rate of decay had an exponent on it. There is something particularly disheartening about having your life butt fucked by a 19 year old senior lance as a grown man; yet, we all adapt and overcome. Adapting was embracing my role as the disgruntled old fuck.

May I ask a few more questions? If so, How often does a good case come your way on an average year? Do you know much about other offices? I've read that you tend to get assigned to the region in which you volunteer - Is that true? If that is the case, do you happen to know anything about the Ohio / Columbus offices? If you do not wish to post that on this, I am open to any offline conversations, or just not having it in general.

What is the situation with the reserves and USMS? I've seen both - Yeah they have no problem with it, and No - you can't serve in these two capacities at the same time. I've also heard anecdotal evidence about a Deputy Marshal in my hometown who was ARNG SF and a Marshall, who ended up smoke checking some fool who tried to mug a few lawyers coming out of the courthouse. It sounds fishy to me, and of course this happened 20 years ago or something alnog those lines, but the important thing to me there was that he was NGSF and a DUSM at the same time. Is this possible?

My last questions are - Based on the information I've given - and assuming I am not a shitbag and I interview well - Does someone like me have a real shot at being selected to move onto FLETC? lastly, What exactly is the process of getting hired - Once again, it's so conflicting what I read. Some say it's a short turn around, most things point to USAJOBS postings only once per year, sometimes I hear they give extensive background checks that take a long time, some sources say not so much, some say there is a polygraph, some say there is not. I have nothing to hide and still possess a active (but not current? or vice versa, I forget which is which) secret clearance - so I've had them probe into my background and I have nothing to hide, but I know that each layer of requirements adds more time on the front end of the process.

I've known guys who have been doing this for 20+ years and have only worked cases we call ground balls. Sometimes a top 15 or major case comes along and more often than not it doesn't. I've worked leads on top 15s and major cases, and assisted on a couple major cases.

Regional hiring is what it is, but when it comes down to it, if your number comes up in the hiring process they will offer you what is available.

I won't speak to specific offices, in the open or through PM. That said, the current USM in S/OH is the man.

You can be in the Reserves/NG and work for the USMS.

With your background and education, there is no reason why you wouldn't make it through the initial part of the hiring process. That said, our HRD has proven me wrong in the past.

The hiring process has improved over the years but OPM and their BIs have only slowed. Word on the street is that initial BIs are taking excessively long time, there is not a polygraph and we don't accept external clearances.

I've known guys who have been doing this for 20+ years and have only worked cases we call ground balls. Sometimes a top 15 or major case comes along and more often than not it doesn't. I've worked leads on top 15s and major cases, and assisted on a couple major cases.

Regional hiring is what it is, but when it comes down to it, if your number comes up in the hiring process they will offer you what is available.

I won't speak to specific offices, in the open or through PM. That said, the current USM in S/OH is the man.

You can be in the Reserves/NG and work for the USMS.

With your background and education, there is no reason why you wouldn't make it through the initial part of the hiring process. That said, our HRD has proven me wrong in the past.

The hiring process has improved over the years but OPM and their BIs have only slowed. Word on the street is that initial BIs are taking excessively long time, there is not a polygraph and we don't accept external clearances.

As always, thank you for the response.

Those guys who only worked ground balls - was that by choice or by (un)luck? Are the top 15 or high-profile cases handled more by the region they are relevant to, or by the TacOps/SOG groups in general or those groups in each district? I'm not actually too sure as to the nature and composition of those groups, can you tell us a little more about them if possible?

I appreciate the feedback as to Ohio and I knew that I wasn't going to get much since ,good or bad commentary, it was not the most risk adverse action to speak about other offices.

Thank you also for the slight confidence boost about hiring, but I do know that ultimately it will be on me to be where I need to be, in all aspects, when I need to be there, and hit all the right wickets. I interview well, so I believe that if I get into a face-to-face portion, I have a relatively good shot.

Poly - great to hear, but only because I hear that process alone is just a nightmare, even for dudes who have nothing to hide. But the BI taking so long sucks - it's unfortunate that my clearance will not factor in as that alone would cut down on the time significantly. May I ask how long these things are generally taking? I am tryign to time it out where I can finish school in spring of 2018 but not get called up before it and end up dropping or postponing my Masters nor do I want to end up bar tending (again) or 2 years because I missed the window. I've been down that road before waiting to join the military until NomadicWriter/Goon175 pulled my ass out of obscurity.

As always, thank you for the response.

Those guys who only worked ground balls - was that by choice or by (un)luck? Are the top 15 or high-profile cases handled more by the region they are relevant to, or by the TacOps/SOG groups in general or those groups in each district? I'm not actually too sure as to the nature and composition of those groups, can you tell us a little more about them if possible?

By choice, usually laziness. The major cases/Top 15s are typically handled by the districts/task forces where the case originates. Never hear of "TacOps" but SOG is a group broken down into teams. You can read about SOG on the internet or find out more once you are hired and drop a packet for selection. :D

I might be breaking a record this year with all this posting!

By choice, usually laziness. The major cases/Top 15s are typically handled by the districts/task forces where the case originates. Never hear of "TacOps" but SOG is a group broken down into teams. You can read about SOG on the internet or find out more once you are hired and drop a packet for selection. :D

I might be breaking a record this year with all this posting!

That's relieving.

"TacOps" was something I pulled somewhere on Fed Soup in reference to the Tactical Operations division under which, according to the site, SOG and the Office of Emergency Management fall under. I have no idea what I'm really talking about here (which is why my questions are starting to get abstract). I tried to find where someone referenced it as TacOps but, naturally, I can't find it so now I just look like a big idiot trying to use lingo that doesn't make any goddamn sense :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::dead:

For reference: U.S. Marshals Service, Duties, Tactical Operations

Anyway, I have more questions but I think they are getting far beyond the 25m target, so perhaps - if you are ok with it - I will revisit the subject when it is relevant to do so.

Thank you for all that you and everyone else has contributed, I cannot understate the value that it has had for me, and likely others.

Yeah, I am assigned to that division and have never heard it referred to as anything other than TOD. Then again, there's always someone trying to make their assignment sound cool I suppose.

Big idiot trying to use lingo that doesn't make any sense? You'll do well in LE :D

If you want to have a sustainable competitive advantage you must leverage your economies of scale, scope, and experience where necessary so that you can create a hub-and-spoke system that leapfrogs regulatory compliance so you can wholesale utilize your understandings of the implicit points of parity and points of differentiation as determined by your understanding of the trade-offs inherent in the industry brought to light by the data analytics of the key performance indicators relevant and determined by the industry power of rivals, suppliers, customers, substitutes, and new entrants. For if you do not wish to have diminishing returns on investment you truly need to embrace disruptive technology so as to create and capture value from the market where the next best alternative rival is only creating value.

Do you know what I said? Because I sure as fuck do not. But that blurb would net me a 94 out of 100 on a short answer question, regardless of what the question asked.

Damn I'm good. I would probably make 100 grand in the first 9 months and all I would do is just spout garbage buzz words like that but do literally nothing of worth.

If you want to have a sustainable competitive advantage you must leverage your economies of scale, scope, and experience where necessary so that you can create a hub-and-spoke system that leapfrogs regulatory compliance so you can wholesale utilize your understandings of the implicit points of parity and points of differentiation as determined by your understanding of the trade-offs inherent in the industry brought to light by the data analytics of the key performance indicators relevant and determined by the industry power of rivals, suppliers, customers, substitutes, and new entrants. For if you do not wish to have diminishing returns on investment you truly need to embrace disruptive technology so as to create and capture value from the market where the next best alternative rival is only creating value.

Do you know what I said? Because I sure as fuck do not. But that blurb would net me a 94 out of 100 on a short answer question, regardless of what the question asked.

Damn I'm good. I would probably make 100 grand in the first 9 months and all I would do is just spout garbage buzz words like that but do literally nothing of worth.

LOL this is pretty funny.

My dad volunteers as a doctor at a federal pre-trial facitlity to prescribe a bunch of Risperidone and make sure nobody is dying due to their inevitable heroin, meth and alcohol withdrawals. and therefore knows a few US Marshals as they transport snitches, potential lifers/death penalty offenders, and violent inmates. He seems to think that anything short of the Special Ops Group involved in hunting down fugitives in the field, raiding houses like a spec ops team overseas. He claims the transport guys seem miserable

My dad volunteers as a doctor at a federal pre-trial facitlity to prescribe a bunch of Risperidone and make sure nobody is dying due to their inevitable heroin, meth and alcohol withdrawals. and therefore knows a few US Marshals as they transport snitches, potential lifers/death penalty offenders, and violent inmates. He seems to think that anything short of the Special Ops Group involved in hunting down fugitives in the field, raiding houses like a spec ops team overseas. He claims the transport guys seem miserable

We have a no shit Marshall here answering questions. Maybe you shouldn't be talking shit about how you heard they feel.

Everybody knows somebody! Yes, court and transports is boring, but it is part of the job. Work your ass off and prove your worth and good things will come to you. If they don't, reevaluate and move on to greener pastures. I lateraled to a new office then sought promotion to make my work/home life better. While around guys who are unhappy with their lot in this agency what I wrote is exactly what I tell them.

Or go to SOG selection. According to our young hero above, they're taking down fugitives like Rangers in Iraq circa 2007! :D

Everybody knows somebody! Yes, court and transports is boring, but it is part of the job. Work your ass off and prove your worth and good things will come to you. If they don't, reevaluate and move on to greener pastures. I lateraled to a new office then sought promotion to make my work/home life better. While around guys who are unhappy with their lot in this agency what I wrote is exactly what I tell them.

Or go to SOG selection. According to our young hero above, they're taking down fugitives like Rangers in Iraq circa 2007! :D

Every industry has their entry level positions that have duties that people are either comfortable with or want to get away from. But to expect that to be different in any aspect of life is arbitrary and unrealistic. Standing firewatch as a E-2 is the same as being in the mailroom at some giant corporation is the same as walking the beat as a rookie is the same as transporting and court for the Marshals.

Self selection is a powerful tool. Regardless of what industry its in, those who don't want to put in the base level to make something of themselves will find that they move horizontally from shit eating position to shit eating position instead of vertically based on merit and established accomplishment.

We have a no shit Marshall here answering questions. Maybe you shouldn't be talking shit about how you heard they feel.

For a moment I thought this was directed at me because I did not see the previous post and my heart turned to liquid shit. My biggest fear is to be a disrespectful piece of shit. Which I am, but not here.

Back