US Marshal SOG or FTF

nolmorton08

Army Special Forces
Verified SOF
Hello gents,

Currently active SF at 7th Group, I don't ETS from the Army until 2024 but it's never too early to brush up your resume and build that network! I looking to see if anyone in this forum is current or has been in the USMS, and more specifically expereince in USMS SOG or the FTF (fugitive task force), I'm located near Pensacola, which is the closest field office to me. I have a POC there, but getting a hold of them is tough besides showing up on the doorstep. I have a broad understanding of the process but like Dale said from Step Brothers, "It's all about who you know". So if anyone has any insight or any POC's please let me know. I plan on doing 10 years on a team right now but I am looking for that next step in the federal world.

Hello gents,

Currently active SF at 7th Group, I don't ETS from the Army until 2024 but it's never too early to brush up your resume and build that network! I looking to see if anyone in this forum is current or has been in the USMS, and more specifically expereince in USMS SOG or the FTF (fugitive task force), I'm located near Pensacola, which is the closest field office to me. I have a POC there, but getting a hold of them is tough besides showing up on the doorstep. I have a broad understanding of the process but like Dale said from Step Brothers, "It's all about who you know". So if anyone has any insight or any POC's please let me know. I plan on doing 10 years on a team right now but I am looking for that next step in the federal world.

We have one Marshal on the forum. If he chooses to self identify, that's his call.
---
Admin time: For our members, I will take a dim view of you doxxing the guy, regardless of what he's posted in the past.

We have one Marshal on the forum. If he chooses to self identify, that's his call.
---
Admin time: For our members, I will take a dim view of you doxxing the guy, regardless of what he's posted in the past.
It's a shot in the dark but figured I'd see if there was any USMS reps, I've read the previous forums and saw there is a USMS rep that pops up every now and then.

It's a shot in the dark but figured I'd see if there was any USMS reps, I've read the previous forums and saw there is a USMS rep that pops up every now and then.
I have a very good friend who is the director of the FTF for the Western District of Louisiana. I can check with him if you would like.

I was in the process but ended up withdrawing and staying with my current agency for monetary reasons. If you plan on doing a full career with the USMS, speak with your POC regarding the pension. The pension is somewhere near 20% of the salary for new hires. The new deputies are maxing out their contributions to have a somewhat normal retirement. I know this didn't help you out specifically, but definitely something to consider.

I was in the process but ended up withdrawing and staying with my current agency for monetary reasons. If you plan on doing a full career with the USMS, speak with your POC regarding the pension. The pension is somewhere near 20% of the salary for new hires. The new deputies are maxing out their contributions to have a somewhat normal retirement. I know this didn't help you out specifically, but definitely something to consider.
Ya pension is always in the back of my mind, I've heard of pension buy back with my military service as well as rollover. thank you for your response. What agency are you in if you don't mind me asking?

---

I don’t think it’s hard to figure out based on my previous posts.

First off, to clear the air, fed leo pension is not 20%. It is 34% of your high three plus TSP. If I go to mandatory, it will be 49% of my high three, which includes the 6 years and 10 months of Army time I bought back.

I spent some time as a deputy assigned to a regional fugitive task force and am currently a district warrant sup and work jointly with an RTF. I cannot speak directly about SOG, but I’ve worked for them in a support capacity over the years and teach classes with some of their guys.

As for making yourself a better candidate, if you don’t have a degree, get one. We currently hire through several methods: recent grad announcement through usajobs (prior mil with a degree from before their enlistment can apply), excepted service hiring, and regional hiring/recruitment fairs.

Ya pension is always in the back of my mind, I've heard of pension buy back with my military service as well as rollover. thank you for your response. What agency are you in if you don't mind me asking?
Answered via PM

What's making you going that route? Have you thought about local LE? There's nine of us at my agency (1st, 3rd, 10th, 19th, and 20th) and a NG SF Company, and SOD in our State.

Bingo.

I know a bunch of people who hate life inside the courtroom. But you have to pay your dues, and I guess developing relationships with the AUSAs isn’t a bad thing.
Paying your dues, learning the job, willingness to work and learn, mobility-if you’re in an office with terrible leadership, etc, etc. There is no “do three years in court and transports and you’re set.”

While good relationships with the AUSAs are nice, they won’t save you from riding the pine.

Back