USMC backpack advice?

Chopstick

Verified Estrogen Brigade
Ok its stupid civilian mom time here on the kit/gear thread. Communication with my son can best be described as "sparse". I woke up this morning to a short note on Facebook with this request:

• Have you gotten my letter yet? If not i really need a new pack. The ones we're issued are total garbage and its ripping my shoulders apart. I hate to keep asking for things but i really need this. The best packs are Blackhawk and Camelbak. Both of those are really fucking expensive so if u check them out online and its too much just send that big black backpack that i have. The only problem with that one is that black is gonna stick out really bad here. I have no idea how much Blackhawks cost but everything they make is really expensive. The camelbak that i always liked is like $145 or something.

Since he most likely wont see my reply for 2-4 weeks and I wont get his...I was wondering if anyone here knows what specifically would be acceptable? Would these types of packs have to be ordered online or would they perhaps be available at any retail stores? As far as my son's concern over cost, money is not an issue. Any advice from any Marines would be particularly appreciated. Thanks!

I would take Camelbak over blackhawk any frigging day of the week.

Here's one option, I have the same pack albeit an older one, used it overseas and stateside rigorously and it's held up.. so it can be counted as an investment. It's also big enough to work as an interim ruck depending on his duty position and required amount of shit to carry

http://www.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/Packs/2011-BFM.aspx

I would think that coyote is the color of choice but I'll leave that to the Marines to say what's good to go or a nogo.

Ugh. Difficult question. A lot depends on what he wants it for. Sounds like he wants something to replace the day pack issued with the pack system. So we're talking daypack size. I would go with coyote as it will get him the least amount of shit from his squad leader/platoon sergeant.

I have this same Rush 24 5.11 pack in black and really like it. It's comfortable, not too big, and well made; only problem it doesn't have a waist belt if he's looking at carrying heavy loads in it. If he's looking for something bigger, 5.11 also has the Rush 72 which is a little bigger and has a waist strap.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-24-Backpack.html
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-72-Backpack.html

And I know RP seems against it, but I had a Blackhawk 3-day assault pack that lasted me almost 10 years, including tours in Iraq and exercises in Thailand. We were doing a NEO in Thailand and I carried a PRC-119 and PRC-113 in it with no issues.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/3-day-assault-pack,865,44.htm

And I know RP seems against it, but I had a Blackhawk 3-day assault pack that lasted me almost 10 years, including tours in Iraq and exercises in Thailand. We were doing a NEO in Thailand and I carried a PRC-119 and PRC-113 in it with no issues.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/3-day-assault-pack,865,44.htm
When BH first came out they were great. I want to say around 03 or 04 they changed their manufacturer or something and the quality went downhill with zippers and seams bursting. I don't know if you have an older model or were just fortunate.

I've just seen too much blackhawk anything turn into a unintelligible ball of nylon fail...

The BFM expands well enough as well as compresses well enough to facilitate pretty general use all the way up to 96 hours to be honest. 117F, spare batts, antennas, ammo, explosives, 2 100 oz bladders, various other munitions, mre's, socks, etc etc... it'll get'er done, that's for sure. It's got a nice bit of padding, waist belt is actually removable so if you decide to roll without it you can just take it off rather than deal with it being stuck on the pack, molle attachment if you want to get crazy with pouches on pockets on pockets and crap...

I wholeheartedly defer to the Marines here on color selection simply because they know what's generally/specifically accepted.

You get that BFM for him and he'll have it for a long, long time. Just make sure to mail it to him completely stuffed with pogie bait and other associated stuff.

You guys are the best. Teufel, thanks so much for the info and guidance on IM. I got a message hanging regards to use as we discussed. I watched a video on that Trizip. That is a slick one. Rob, as far as size type, with my kid's mad USMC communication skillz he didnt clue me into all that yet rofl. I hope he gets the mail and can respond soon. I have a credit card in my hand burning a hole and you know how I love to shop! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the input. Its certainly given me alot to consider. And if he doesnt respond soon he is gonna get what I like. LOL :-o:ROFLMAO:

When BH first came out they were great. I want to say around 03 or 04 they changed their manufacturer or something and the quality went downhill with zippers and seams bursting. I don't know if you have an older model or were just fortunate.

That's probably the case. I got mine in 2000/2001 time frame and it lasted me a good long time, even with a lot of hard use.

Their gear used to be made in CONUS then they expanded and shipped the manufacture overseas, where the quality tanked.

You guys are the best. Teufel, thanks so much for the info and guidance on IM. I got a message hanging regards to use as we discussed. I watched a video on that Trizip. That is a slick one. Rob, as far as size type, with my kid's mad USMC communication skillz he didnt clue me into all that yet rofl. I hope he gets the mail and can respond soon. I have a credit card in my hand burning a hole and you know how I love to shop! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the input. Its certainly given me alot to consider. And if he doesnt respond soon he is gonna get what I like. LOL :-o:ROFLMAO:

If you get him a pink "Hello Kitty" backpack I'm going to be mighty pissed at you...

I used a Camelback “motherload” assault pack on my first trip to Iraq, damn good pack and held up great. I already gave mine away for another Joe who was deploying. SKD-TAC has it listed $165

http://www.skdtac.com/CamelBak-Motherlode-500-Hydration-Pack-p/cbk.511.htm

My dad bought me a camelbak motherload almost eight years ago and that thing has survived through two wars and four combat deployments. The 550 cord pull tabs finally rotted through because of repeated exposure to water during a recon work up (imagine that) but I replaced them and have had no other problems. I have been eyeballing this camelbak trizip (http://milspecmonkey.com/weargear/packsbags/290-camelbak-trizip) but I can't bring myself to buy another day pack until my motherlode falls apart. Which is probably going to be never.

My dad bought me a camelbak motherload almost eight years ago and that thing has survived through two wars and four combat deployments. The 550 cord pull tabs finally rotted through because of repeated exposure to water during a recon work up (imagine that) but I replaced them and have had no other problems. I have been eyeballing this camelbak trizip (http://milspecmonkey.com/weargear/packsbags/290-camelbak-trizip) but I can't bring myself to buy another day pack until my motherlode falls apart. Which is probably going to be never.

Yeah I put mine through hell, strapped to outside of the trucks, patrol after patrol, LP/OP’s dropped from the top of a water tower, soaked in blood, chem-light exploding in it, etc. I got back from that 20 month long deployment, tossed it in the washing machine/dryer and handed it off to a buddy heading over. Last I saw the pack it still looked new. If I had to buy another pack it would be a motherlode…

After much consideration and based on the advice here I ordered the Motherlode in coyote. :thumbsup: Thanks for the help and I will post up if I picked the right one or not. If he doesnt like it who wants first dibs? ;)

Back