Western NC/Hurricane Helene

Devildoc

Verified Military
Not sure what is making it out in a lot of social media about what is going on in western NC and eastern TN. I'm not really given to hyperbole, but it is beyond catastrophic and well into cataclysmic. Entire towns disappeared and hundreds are still missing.

FEMA has largely been non-existent and slow-rolling response, and our governor has been non-reactive. Just like the Cajun navy that went to work in Katrina, the citizens have stepped up to a level they should have to and have been providing an enormous amount of relief and affecting many of the rescues and recoveries. The feds have just approved of sending AD military, and the national guard (of approx a dozen states) are working at an exhaustive , break-neck pace.

If you have the time, if you have the resources, if you have the ability, please look up any number of relief organizations and agencies and donate. Every bit helps.

Wasn't that hurricane Katrina thing found to be the presidents fault?
...asking for a friend

Since we're going there... now over 180 dead, deadliest event since Katrina. I hope to God we don't reach Katrina numbers (1,300). Trump showed up pretty quickly and has supported a few donations events. Biden/Harris have been MIA. Usual.

We're inland, so we got the outer bands, tropical storm force winds and lost power for about 14 hours. No damage, thankfully. Our coastal areas got it bad and it will take months to recover. Some areas are still without power.

But the damage up in GA, NC, TN, as you say, is catastrophic. And yes, only crickets from Biden/Harris.

DeSantis, as usual here, was on top of things...as much as any governor can be.

Since we're going there... now over 180 dead, deadliest event since Katrina. I hope to God we don't reach Katrina numbers (1,300). Trump showed up pretty quickly and has supported a few donations events. Biden/Harris have been MIA. Usual.
What do you mean? Kamala was there to announce $750 in assistance to rebuild for those who need it...

What do you make of Gov Cooper's actions/response at the state level?

Not being in tye AO, I don't have any perspective and, strangely, not hearing anything from MSM. Nothing on GA, either. The only one I've seen any coverage on was DeSantis in FL.

What do you make of Gov Cooper's actions/response at the state level?

Not being in tye AO, I don't have any perspective and, strangely, not hearing anything from MSM. Nothing on GA, either. The only one I've seen any coverage on was DeSantis in FL.

Western NC is not Cooper friendly. Aside from the county that has Asheville it's very Republican. The perception is Cooper hasn't been responsive but I don't know that's entirely true.

The big fear is the disruption will cause NC to go Harris because these people cannot vote. Their fear isn't misplaced.

Cooper is the type of Gov that would fuck half of his state to push the party narrative - hes been a snake since way before he was the guv'nah

he vetoes almost every piece of legislation the legislature puts out. He is 100% party line and has a very strong dotted line to his masters in DC. I loathe the man.

He came to Duke to press the flesh in the winter of 2020 to see our covid response. His people and Duke PR wanted a picture of me and some others with him. I said no, I don't do pressers. That's a lie. I'd love a picture of me and Trump.

He should run for congress. He meets the minimum qualifications.

He was on the short list for VP consideration. He's been mentioned every federal election cycle for the past decade. He doesn't have nearly the JFK-esque charm that John Edwards had.

Back