Western NC/Hurricane Helene

If we could not make this political, that’d be great. I was personally up in the Boone area this week helping. It’s definitely bad, but what makes it worse is it becoming political. That’s the last thing these people need right now. Along with that, just shut down any conspiracy theories you hear. It’s not what the families without food and water need to be hearing, if they even have the possibility to get news from the outside. What they need is to know their state and country is with them.

I didn’t see much of FEMA and frankly I don’t care. We don’t need them anyway because there were THOUSANDS of citizens turning out and getting after it in any way they could. Pallets of supplies in everything from semis to sedans showing up and getting immediately shipped where they needed it most. Duke power and Emergency services were everywhere and staying busy, my National Guard brothers and sisters were out in force. Blackhawks flying supplies or search and rescues.

If you’re in the area or within driving distance, (it’s 3 hours for me) get out there if you can. Especially in 2-3 weeks when folks will need homes rebuilt. Get connected with an established org and go, otherwise you might get turned away. If you can’t make it out, give. I’ll link some that I personally know and personally saw helping if that’s permitted? If not take it down, but they need it. I don’t have any business with any of them.

If you can’t give, at least just leave the political bullshittery out. And leave the conspiracies out. That’s the very least we can do for these people.

United States Veteran Corps: Cary, NC

CLEANEST and Most LUXURIOUS Airbnb in Asheville

Samaritan’s Purse Responds After Hurricane Helene

I appreciate what you're doing. But if people want to vent about the politics of the response, I have no issue with that.

Be safe, do good.

OK, here's a great example of how people are fucking up perception and communications. Ironic to this thread I just got this via text a couple minutes ago.

Friend working rescue/recovery, part of a multijurisdictional team. He and his team was at a larger site basically going over the day's plan. Someone comes up with stuff to donate. Someone at site says, "I'm very sorry, we are saturated with donated goods and cannot take any; however, here is a list of sites that are currently taking donated items."

Person walked away yelling about "FEMA is refusing to take our donations." First, FEMA wasn't even at the site. Second, THAT site could not accommodate, but provided options.

Part of the problem is with so many agencies and so many responders spreads over four states, dozens of counties, tens of dozens of towns, and hundreds of crossroads there is no way to verify the veracity of most social media-based claims.

Someone comes up with stuff to donate. Someone at site says, "I'm very sorry, we are saturated with donated goods and cannot take any; however, here is a list of sites that are currently taking donated items."

Person walked away yelling about "FEMA is refusing to take our donations." First, FEMA wasn't even at the site. Second, THAT site could not accommodate, but provided options.

Reminds me of volunteering at the food bank. So many people would get pissed when told "we have all the canned soup and vegetables we can take, we need canned meats/meals."

They'd be mad that their donations weren't "good enough" or that "beggars can't be choosers."
Sorry, but you and everyone else who cleaned out all the shit in your cupboard had the same idea, and we wouldnt tell a mom feeding her kids that she just needs to "suck it up" and live off canned corn/cream of chicken soup.

I imagine that's part of the issue with the donation situation you described. People often want to help as long as it's simple, but once it gets specific they feel slighted.

LOVE what you're doing, please get your PR team in line. Please.
Exclusive | Special ops vets form ‘Redneck Air Force’ to ferry aid into NC mountains after feds come up short: ‘Who’s FEMA?’

Two military trucks were parked outside the garage, loaded with reservists from the North Carolina National Guard, awaiting directions from the volunteers.

I'm sure this sounds pedantic to some, but it matters to others. Zero disrespect to my USAR brothers and sisters, but it matters and it hits different.

I guess this goes here. Apparently Baxter, who makes 60% of all IV fluids in the US made all of their products in Western NC. Their plant flooded and stopped production. This is a catastrophic event for healthcare. Think early covid levels of shutting down OR’s and surgery for only emergencies.

I guess this goes here. Apparently Baxter, who makes 60% of all IV fluids in the US made all of their products in Western NC. Their plant flooded and stopped production. This is a catastrophic event for healthcare. Think early covid levels of shutting down OR’s and surgery for only emergencies.

That is some next level bad news right there.

Yeah, we're rationing pretty hard. Also doing some common sense things like PO challenges over IVF boluses.

Back