What’s happening in Iran?

Iran will win.
Incoming admin has already said they will re-enter the nuke deal (violated by Iran), and I doubt any Iranian terror acts will be responded to by the new admin.
President Elect Harris won't rock the boat.
Getting back into the deal will be a huge political win for Biden especially since many a average Joe still thinks the deal was a great one

They were, until we pulled out of it

Au contraire mon ami!
The Opposite Theotherway GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Iran Breaches the Nuclear Deal and UN Resolutions for Third Time

UN agency IAEA reports Iran has again violated terms of nuclear deal | DW | 09.11.2016

Iran once again exceeds a nuclear deal limit: IAEA report

You got me there! However, they abided the enrichment agreements all the way up to last year, which was long after we pulled out. I would say that’s more substantial than non-nuclear missile testing and heavy water restrictions.

You got me there! However, they abided the enrichment agreements all the way up to last year, which was long after we pulled out. I would say that’s more substantial than non-nuclear missile testing and heavy water restrictions.

I would love to understand how you know this. To say it with confidence too. I guess to suggest otherwise would probably be spillage if you actually knew

Did you expect Iran to abide by it?
I didn't.
You shouldn't have.

No agreement could promise that Iran wouldn't build secret facilities to develop nuclear weapons, and it wasn't designed to nurture the illusion that it could solve the problem of Iran's nuclear development.

The deal was simply the only measure putting any sort of wrench in its nuclear weapons development program, and thereby positioning the US and every other country saying haaaiiilll no to Iranian nuclear weapons to better monitor and manage the threat as it developed.

The terms made it much more challenging for Iran to openly develop nuclear weapons by instituting regular independent inspections of all of Iran's known facilities, among other oversight mechanisms, to enforce Iran's agreement not to develop weapons-grade uranium in them. IAEA already confirmed that Iran had been compliant in this regard up until last year, well after POTUS withdrew the US from the deal.

The US and Israeli IC also were in agreement that the deal effectively would have prevented Iran's 'known' weapons-grade development program for a decade or more, and it certainly slowed down the net progress towards nuclear weapon capabilities by preventing its development in all of Iran's known facilities.

Withdrawing from the deal removed the only existing brake on Iran's development into a nuclear superpower, and this is made all the more clear with Iran's recent decision, after the deal was called off, to openly resume enriching uranium at one of its known facilities.

Whatever the Biden administration ultimately does (deal or no deal - ha!), I think it should retain the sanctions of the Trump administration so it doesn't lose any leverage. I also think that he should take his time and repair diplomatic relations with key EU states that already condemn Iran so that if he decides to renegotiate a deal, he will be in a stronger spot to concede fewer sanctions when doing it, if any at all.

Whatever the Biden administration ultimately does (deal or no deal - ha!), I think it should retain the sanctions of the Trump administration so it doesn't lose any leverage

I thought Iran had already been threatening to kick out inspectors if the sanctions aren't lifted.

I don't see a path to actually ever normalizing relations with the Iranian regime.

I thought Iran had already been threatening to kick out inspectors if the sanctions aren't lifted.
Yes, and this is part of the reason why I felt the administration should bide its time and focus on strengthening its relations with the countries that are still in the JCPOA and would be affected by inspector removals. This would better position the US to work with those remaining members of the JCPOA to better collaborate on an effective method and time to bring up US reentry into the deal. Retaining pressure on Iran through the sanctions would help the US and those countries establish which (if any) of the sanctions to consider lifting as the biggest carrot for Iran to look into renegotiations.
I don't see a path to actually ever normalizing relations with the Iranian regime.
It's definitely a challenging goal.

Back