What about Latin America and the Cartels?

Been there. It's called hurry up and stand the fuck by. It's even better when you're told to fall out at 0230 with all your shit packed, weapons issued, ready for the trucks to come. And every goddam E2 E3 sea lawyer in the company is suddenly an SME in US foreign policy.

And, of course, the trucks never come and you stand down at 0600. Just in time for reveille.

Been there. It's called hurry up and stand the fuck by. It's even better when you're told to fall out at 0230 with all your shit packed, weapons issued, ready for the trucks to come. And every goddam E2 E3 sea lawyer in the company is suddenly an SME in US foreign policy.

And, of course, the trucks never come and you stand down at 0600. Just in time for reveille.
Or... the trucks come and the planes take off in Kentucky and you wake up staging in Florida for a Haitian coup that never happens.

Then the next time you have planes show up and go to sleep after take off in Kentucky and wake up in Riyadh...

Or... the trucks come and the planes take off in Kentucky and you wake up staging in Florida for a Haitian coup that never happens.

That was our drill weekend. We were told to expect a call in the next 24 hours and I think they even let us leave early to go pack. @ke4gde do you remember that weekend?

Your part in the adventure sounds more frustrating though.

That was our drill weekend. We were told to expect a call in the next 24 hours and I think they even let us leave early to go pack. @ke4gde do you remember that weekend?

Your part in the adventure sounds more frustrating though.
That was just before I got there. I do however remember the state being on fire after a JRTC rotation and being told on the bird that we were gonna be jumped in with haz jump suits to do smoke jumper things :ROFLMAO: Not the same thing I know, but the absurdity of it all is what stuck with me. Which is what I gleaned from all this. LuLz.

Anyway, back on topic.

We're not going to send troops to Mexico. Aside from any law enforcement, DEA or covert elements that are already there as partners or advisors, we don't need Rangers or Marines or infantry units running around in Northern Mexico. Having said, that I'm all for JDAMs and drone strikes on cartel big shots...which Mexico wouldn't permit anyway.

I have to wonder how much Mexico would benefit from a robust ISR presence over their country. No arms, just SIGINT, video, etc. "Gift" some GBU-39's and mate them with their PC-7's, then turn them loose. Flag a few Reapers or older Preds in Mexican Air Force insignia and fly those missions from Nevada but with Mexican Air Force officers doing the shooting.

The above puts them more involved in their country than the Afghan Air Force at times...

I have to wonder how much Mexico would benefit from a robust ISR presence over their country. No arms, just SIGINT, video, etc. "Gift" some GBU-39's and mate them with their PC-7's, then turn them loose. Flag a few Reapers or older Preds in Mexican Air Force insignia and fly those missions from Nevada but with Mexican Air Force officers doing the shooting.

The above puts them more involved in their country than the Afghan Air Force at times...

That would be great...except Mexico is currently led by a leftist dreamer who's touting a non-confrontational approach to the drug war. He believes that education and social programs to eliminate poverty will bring about peace and tranquility to Mexico. And this just a couple of weeks after the Guzman jr dumpster fire in Culiacan.

His drug war slogan is “abrazos no balazos" -- "Hugs, not bullets."

Obrador said last week he doesn't take orders from Norte Americanos.

Last edited:
That would be great...except Mexico is currently led by a leftist dreamer who's touting a non-confrontational approach to the drug war. As crazy as it seems, it actually is. He believes that education and social programs to eliminate poverty will bring about peace and tranquility to Mexico. And this is just a couple of weeks after the Guzman jr dumpster fire in Culiacan.

His drug war slogan (and if this doesn't prove he's either high on peyote or on the take) is “abrazos no balazos" -- "Hugs, not bullets."

View attachment 30282

Obrador said last week he doesn't take orders from Norte Americanos...but if you can mate a PC-7 with a GBU that detonates with Nerf balls, he might be receptive.
He seems to be taking a very non violent way of confronting the Cartels I’m pretty sure he works for them

There is more to that offshoot Mormon group in Mexico than is hitting the news, yet. Information is they have always been well armed at there compound, and have had clashes with the cartels in the past.

Not to say this is an excuse, but I do wonder if there was an underlining cause, or just mis-identification...etc.

Last edited:
He seems to be taking a very non violent way of confronting the Cartels I’m pretty sure he works for them

Right, except he's not "confronting" at all. By his passive stance he's giving the drug barons exactly what they want, limited interference from the government.

There is more to that offshoot Mormon group in Mexico than is hitting the news, yet. Information is they have always been well armed at there compound, and have had clashes with the cartels in the past.

Not to say this is an excuse, but I do wonder if there was an underlining cause, or just mis-identification...etc.

I'm reading more into this as well. The cartels can be messy...but this looks intentional. Yes, there were clashes apparently over water rights.

Last edited:
Back