What Are You Currently Reading?

If you like the Game of Thrones TV series then I recommend the books the show is based on by George R. R. Martin.

Frodo Baggins wouldn't last an hour in Westeros. 8-)

I'm reading War on the Run, by John F. Ross, an excellent account of Robert Rogers and his tactics and campaigns...and I'm waiting for The Bush War in Rhodesia to be delivered, based on Pardus's recommendation. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I am currently reading a book about the 32 Battalion from South Africa.
32 Battalion: The Inside Story of South Africa's Elite Fighting

Has anyone found a good deal on getting," The Crossroad, by Mark Donaldson". So far I can only find the book around $40, and I'd love to read it, but the price is a bit much. Also what's up with it not being available in the U.S.?

Kindle refuses to let me purchase it saying it's only available in Australia. Same with any ebook or hard/paperback stores. I suppose something will turn up eventually, and yeah in the U.S. $30-$40 for a book is really pushing it, hardback books are usually around $25. I've been reading a bunch on the Aussie military and watching documentaries on the commando regiments and the SASR and keep on getting impressed, but damn the book prices are killing me, even on kindle.

Besides the books I'm currently teaching (Odyssey, Prince Caspian, Confessions, Lord of the Rings) I'm reading The Father of Us All and The Savior Generals by Victor Davis Hanson. I really appreciate - as an Ancient History teacher - how he connects ancient warfare with modern conflicts.

The Savior Generals by Victor Davis Hanson. I really appreciate - as an Ancient History teacher - how he connects ancient warfare with modern conflicts.

I haven't read that book, but I think VDH should stick to ancient history instead of his theoretical or political tracts. Carnage and Culture comes to mind. While I'm not a historian, I think his conclusions are wrong and I also thought his writing where modern history is concerned wasn't as good as his pieces on ancient history. His modern stuff felt less scholarly than his ancient history.

I haven't read that book, but I think VDH should stick to ancient history instead of his theoretical or political tracts. Carnage and Culture comes to mind. While I'm not a historian, I think his conclusions are wrong and I also thought his writing where modern history is concerned wasn't as good as his pieces on ancient history. His modern stuff felt less scholarly than his ancient history.

These are the first two things I've read by him, aside from an article having to do with ISIS. I can see where he could potentially be a bit much in a purely modern culture work, but I'm enjoying these two.

Same problem as the other times they only let Aussies buy the book even on iTunes.

Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall. One quote caught my eye:

"The West is still battling an ideology with technology and the successful end of that Revolutionary War is neither near nor is its outcome certain."

Just read World War Z, was pretty good. A LOT better than the movie in my opinion.

Just finished Street Without Joy. I think if you took most of the references to Vietnam and replaced them with "Afghanistan" the book wouldn't be much different.

No True Glory- Bing West An account of the battles for Ramadi and Fallujah and the whole sphere of circumstances that led to the battle from grunt to policymakers. Very informative read while also very entertaining.
Next up is Chosen Soldier by Dick Couch and a Patriot's History of the United States by Allen and Schweikart along with a very long list of even more books.

Back