What are Your Five Greatest Armies Of All Time?

Hmm....

The Allies in WWII in Europe. Multiple nations with a common gaol but many paths to that goal, personalities, logistics, leveraging the industrial might of nations...it took a lot to beat....

....The German Army in WWII. The technology was great, better than our at times but had weaknesses too. Superb military leadership they were let down by a fanatical maniac and his henchmen. The nearly dominated the world and for a brief period left the great industrialized nations shaking in their boots, or conquered beneath them. There are parallels to....

...the Army of Northern Virginia. Long on leadership and courage, short on logistics they defied the odds for several years until shear numbers and better supply trains beat them. They should have lost in 1862, but held on for three more years. Similar to....

...the French under Napoleon. They just bit off more than they could chew. Contrast that with....

...Alexander the Great. His army conquered almost the whole of the known world at that time. Years from home they took on all comers and won, even when vastly outnumbered. Great leadership, a true combined arms force, and shear tenacity did it for them.

The African Zulu Nation from aprox 1815 to 1828 under their Chief Shaka was an incredible "warrior" nation to which all men under the age of 40 served as Soldiers similar to the Spartan warrior nation except that the Spartan's lived a more "prestigious" type of day-to-day life since they had personal "slaves" that framed and kept their personal homesteads up. The Zulu women did these such things while the men trained in the art of battle... The only thing that derailed this great "army" was Shaka's betrayal and assassination by his Half brother who subsequently burnt his village to the ground and moved the people to a new location (Back to where their ancestors originated in the mid 1700's) and renamed the tribe Mgungundlovo. This "new" warrior nation thrived for a while but later was defeated by a rival warrior nation, the Voortrekkers.

The Zulu nation, in it's heyday under King Shaka was one of the most devastating army's, thus great army of all time.

Also, The Zulu tribe actually still exists which is different from most of the "great" army's of mention here... Some have integrated with other African tribes and/or nations in more urban settings but most still live in remote areas where the Zulu ways of Shaka (in part and parcel) still live on. There's even actually still a Zulu King even though Shaka's reign as Chief / King ended almost 200 years ago...

Even if the US army was not in my top five, I have to say this ;

What I find interesting, is that in my opinion, US has probably the thoughest streak of opponents.

WW2 - US had to fight against Japan. Soldiers even used themselves as weapons.

VC, Al-qaida. Both of these used/use tactics from a different world (thinkin of a "honest" style of war). and of course they are not fightning the Taleban/Al-qaida alone, but still.

And even if thre is a big gap in time, add the indians and the list is full.

In my opinion, which makes the US army a great one, is their readiness to act, no matter what or who is the opponent.
And about the leadership ?

Hitler was a loonie.
Could US army leadership on higher levels be better ? Maybe.

What an army be without leadership ?
A good bunch of grunts and NCOs getting the job done ? Or bunch of guys running in to all directions shooting ?
Judging an army without its highest leadership, political and the non-political aspect is like judging a football team and not include the quarterback and coaching staff.

Well, I think it too can be said for many other nations such as the UK and Australia (And a few other's that pay tribute to the Royal family of England's Queen) just to name a couple. They have stepped up many times and lead from the front and they have developed some of the most skilled warriors the world has ever known to which the US, over the years, owes a dept of gratitude. Particularly the UK during WW2...

The US, in recent years (last 200+) has shown to be exactly what you say, I agree, but we don't hold the patent on standing firm for the sake of what's right.

How about the South Korean Army to whom, though not glorious in any particular battles of note, they have held the DMZ at the 38th parallel (with the US) firm thus holding the spread of communism for almost 60 years now. This was very crucial in it's part and parcel with regards to winning the cold war. Sometimes it's not a glorious campaign of battles that define an Army as great, sometimes it's the fact that they vigilantly stand ready to do so that makes them great....

The Israeli ("Jewish") Army, from any era dating back to the times of Jericho and beyond have always impressed me too...

Pretty diverse here

Agincourt - 5,000 British ex-crims and excellent archers outnumber about 15,000 unmounted French Knights.

Prussian Corps at Waterloo - After a day long march, arrived in time to turn the tide of battle.

Australians, Kokoda Campaign - Poorly equipped but well led fight a great fighting withdrawl and counterattack.

Carthage - Contrary to opinion, there were no elephants. Hannibals army had fought the Gauls etc. all the way there and the elephants had died en route from the cold. The classic encircling move.

British - Rourkes Drift. Welshmen fight off the zulus who vastly outnumbered them. When Lord Kitchener found out that Gonville Bromhead was one of the offers in charge, he replied " He's the only one fool enough to do it". 11 VC's before breakfast.

When Lord Kitchener found out that Gonville Bromhead was one of the offers in charge, he replied " He's the only one fool enough to do it". 11 VC's before breakfast.

Kitchener?
He was a 29 yr old Lt at the time in a different continent... :confused:

The answer is Lord Chelmsford Commander in Chief of Her Majesties British Forces, Natal Colony, South Africa.

Sorry mate if I knew it was the Brit leader you were talking about I could have saved you that searching.
Chelmsford was a twat, evidenced by his being fired for the unauthorised invasion of Zululand, an action that had been forbidden by London IIRC.

In fact I'm very surprised Chelmsford even knew of Bromhead who was a mere Lieutenant at the time and not a particulary well thought of one.

No worries with the search. But you're right about Bromhead. I think he was on the cusp of being binned as he wasn't much good. His offsider, Chard and himself both were awarded VC's but did not progress past Major.

In no particular order:

* The Israelites of yore: Judah and the Maccabees - defeated the Assyrian Greeks when outnumbered greatly
* Israel Defense Force: 1947 - 1947, a new country without a united army (yet) or equipment defeated mainly Russian armed Lebanon and Syria in the north; Iraq and Transjordan - renamed Jordan during the war - in the east; Egypt, assisted by contingents from the Sudan - in the south; and Palestinians and volunteers from Arab countries in the interior of the country.
Please see http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/History/Modern+History/Centenary+of+Zionism/The+Arab-Israeli+Wars.htm to see why i say IDF

Zulu's of Southern Africa - as mentioned in a previous post

US Military - No explanation necessary

No worries with the search. But you're right about Bromhead. I think he was on the cusp of being binned as he wasn't much good. His offsider, Chard and himself both were awarded VC's but did not progress past Major.

Funny eh, good enough to win a VC but not to get a promotion :uhh:

Back