What did Chesty Puller think of the 1911?

Devildoc

Verified Military
These were his comments in an AAR after Guadalcanal, called the .45 1911 a "junk pistol" lol. Posting for historical context only; me, I love the 1911.

Chesty.jpg

Marines trying to defend Chesty or the 1911...

sweating-nervous.gif

To be fair, pistols don't win battles and shouldn't be the only issued weapon for leaders. However they make for a great self defense weapon for machine gunners who cannot exactly use their MG's as bludgeon or a pike.

I still don't understand why an E-5 or an E-6 with just an M4 needs an M17 when their 240 and 249 issued gunners do, but I blame institutionalized inbreeding narcissism for that one.

These were the same ranks that way back when when asked if we can mount and zero privately purchased red dots and low powered variable scopes on our issued guns, we were looked at as stupid fucks and most likely given a me talk you listen fallacy driven lecture ion their dumb-fuckery views on it. Now look where we all are now, fuck heads...some may not remember but Pepperidge Farms does.

Can anybody remember the 1911 versus Glock wars of the internet on nearly every board and social type platform? Straight out nausea based autism. 1911 jams just by looking at it. Never mind the facts that the fucktard used low powered ammunition for it that it was not designed to use, changing it's cyclic rate and what the springs in the mag and guide spring were not made to use. Nah, let's blame the gun and not said twit of twits.

The same ^^ numpties would then turn around and blame the ammo if it was used in the Glock, but it's the 1911 and not the ammo. Fick heads for real.

However, change the caliber from 45 to 9 for capacity, put a polymer lower on a 1911 upper and call it a 2011 to sound more modern, and suddenly it can do no wrong. The same ricki retards that were showing fangs and spitting vitriol that were lecturing us about how bad a single action is compared to a striker all go radio silent and hoping no one remembers their antics of condemnation.

The autism is just too much about such ego-fragile gun try hards among us, who do more harm than good with the community and toxic to the core.

Last edited:
The autism is just too much about such ego-fragile gun try hards among us, who do more harm than good with the community and toxic to the core.
Yup. I don't argue with Guntards, same way I don't argue politics. I purchase and shoot what I like. Glocks are great. Also, there are a lot of other great guns out there. My opinion is to find one you like and learn to use it.

To be fair, pistols don't win battles and shouldn't be the only issued weapon for leaders. However they make for a great self defense weapon for machine gunners who cannot exactly use their MG's as bludgeon or a pike.

I still don't understand why an E-5 or an E-6 with just an M4 needs an M17 when their 240 and 249 issued gunners do, but I blame institutionalized inbreeding narcissism for that one.

These were the same ranks that way back when when asked if we can mount and zero privately purchased red dots and low powered variable scopes on out issued guns, we were looked at as stupid fucks and most likely given a me talk you listen fallacy driven lecture ion their dumb-fuckery views on it. Now look where we all are now, fuck heads...some may not remember but Pepperidge Farms does.

Can anybody remember the 1911 versus Glock wars of the internet on nearly every board and social type platform? Straight out nausea based autism. 1911 jams just by looking at it. Never mind the facts that the fucktard used low powered ammunition for it that it was not designed to use, changing it's cyclic rate and what the springs in the mag and guide spring were not made to use. Nah, let's blame the gun and not said twit of twits.

The same ^^ numpties would then turn around and blame the ammo if it was used in the Glock, but it's the 1911 and not the ammo. Fick heads for real.

However, change the caliber from 45 to 9 for capacity, put a polymer lower on a 1911 upper and call it a 2011 to sound more modern, and suddenly it can do no wrong. The same ricki retards that were showing fangs and spitting vitriol that were lecturing us about how bad a single action is compared to a striker all go radio silent and hoping no one remembers their antics of condemnation.

I dunno.

I’ve won a battle or two with a pistol. Come to think of it, I know a bunch of other fuckers who have as well.

A secondary weapon is a good thing.

I dunno.

I’ve won a battle or two with a pistol. Come to think of it, I know a bunch of other fuckers who have as well.

A secondary weapon is a good thing.

People get bent out of shape over pistols but I agree with @quartermaster. Pistols can help you in certain situations or in emergencies but they don’t win battles. There is a reason they aren’t issued across the general purpose force. Of course there are different considerations in low intensity conflict or law enforcement but I have always hated how we apply stretch the meaning of the word “battle” in these scenarios outside of pitched near conventional operations like Fallujah or Tarin Kowt.

I wonder what 'ole Chesty Puller would have said about Glocks?

Back