What is the Purpose of the Military?

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
A thread by Spider6 and a conversation I had this afternoon made me think about the purpose (or mission) of a nation's armed forces. This ties in closely to what a military should be prepared to do (which matters in terms of training, equipping, and most of all funding).

So, utilizing whatever sources you choose, including your own opinion, and in as many or as few words as you think are necessary, what do you think the purpose of a nation's military is?

Here is source to get you started if you need one:

http://www.army.mil/fm1/chapter2.html

To defend a state and execute foreign policy with force.

Marauder06: Agree with the above sir from Spitfire V. I'm struggling with the best way to accomplish that task and purpose. Using the KISS principle I say we go back to that wonderfully simple skill set of killing people and breaking things. We haven't been very successful in predicting the next conflict. I think I heard that in 25 attempts we hadn't gotten it right once. I think that was Donald Rumsfeld.

With task and purpose defined, I'm curious as to what our task / org should look like.

IMO that's all tied into foreign policy. I think I can tie in anything you guys say back to FP, actually :p

IMO It does tie back to FP, but that shouldn't matter to the military. The military is not the foreign policy creators, they are the foreign policy executors. As far as where should the foreign policy come from...that's a bit long to type out on an iPad...

IMO It does tie back to FP, but that shouldn't matter to the military. The military is not the foreign policy creators, they are the foreign policy executors. As far as where should the foreign policy come from...that's a bit long to type out on an iPad...

Yes but the aims of the foreign policy dictate how the conflict in question is prosecuted.

To provide somewhere for fat chicks to find lovin'.

Seriously though I'm going to say to provide the state with a means to enforce its will and protect its interests when diplomatic means fail.

I say this because the epic Conan quote was already used.

Yes but the aims of the foreign policy dictate how the conflict in question is prosecuted.

Maybe I'm not understanding. Are you saying that the foreign policy dictates whether the military is used (hypothetically) to topple a regime or as a peace keeping force?

Maybe I'm not understanding. Are you saying that the foreign policy dictates whether the military is used (hypothetically) to topple a regime or as a peace keeping force?

I think your both right. Additionally the military does produce "strategic estimates" for the State Dept. I'm torn on the value placed on these. I have never had to brief a member of the State Dept and wonder how that would be received. On the other hand we are the folks on the ground dealing with the situation!:rolleyes:

Here's the first cut on what the purpose of the military is to me:

The purpose of the US military is to secure the vital national interests of the nation, as directed by the President, and to ensure the preservation of the nation and the security of its inhabitants, in accordance with the spirit of our Constitution.

I had wondered later if I wasn't clear enough so my apologies. But yes, that's essentially what I'm saying. The strategic aim of the conflict (whatever that may be) determines how the military goes about their business (in a strategtic sense of course).

Back