What to look for in an instructor

macNcheese

I am looking for a training class that will teach me how to handle firearms in real world conditions under stress. I have found a lot. I travel a lot for work/school so the location isn't a massive factor. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to look for in the instructors or recommendations? Washington / Utah would be easiest for me to get to. Thank you.

I believe Tim Kennedy is teaching out of Texas as well. He started his own business there.

Is there anything I should look out for in their Bios or are instructors that claim various SOF backgrounds vetted in some way?

Look at their career, what they did, what units they were with, how long they have been teaching.

Read what @AWP wrote also.

All the instructors listed are top notch. I'd add Larry Vickers and Kyle Lamb to the list as well.

This is is just my opinion, but I think people teaching others to fight with a gun should have certain experience. For example, they should have been in a gunfight. That's not to say others who haven't aren't worth training with, but I think having seen the elephant allows the instructor to have insights that others may not have. YMMV.

Anyone that doesn't have more videos of slow motion / rock music than content.

Expectations - Your instructor should have you comfortable performing the following actions:

- Shooting / Reloading on the move (this includes cross directions, forward/rear/and lateral movements)
- Shooting from stressed body positions, exhaustion, and unknown conditions
- Shooting beyond & around structure/materials and reduced visibility (not to be confused with not having target identification)
^ all of which should be performed from the draw, not at the ready (you should know what this means after your instruction)

Kuddos for:
- Being taught how to retain your weapon (AKA me not taking your weapon and shooting you with it)
- Having a plan for follow-on actions after killing a human (speaking to police, phoning 911 - its more complicated than it seems)
- Legitimately understanding proper engagement / shot placement (as well as a basic understanding of ballistics)
- Aide/Trauma Care

Note:
Having any of this training completed or these wickets makes you probably 95% more capable than the rest of the population. Too many people these days carry a gun like its a fucking hall pass - most of them probably wouldn't use it or at the least, know how to if the bell actually tolled one day. Hell, most of them probably wouldn't even be carrying it in the first place; it probably sits in their glove box, at home because its bulky, or in her purse that's where?

OH YEAH ON THE FUCKING SEAT ACCROSS THE ROOM.....

H/A
(I have always wanted to instruct a course personally)

...I have always wanted to instruct a course personally...

Not to hijack the thread, but DO IT. No time like the present. There is a lot of talent out there that simply "waits too long" to step out of the boat. Give it a shot. Start out part-time and see how it goes.

I'd like to but its a pipe dream - I'm leaving SOF in the Lejeune area and will be off to Drill Instructor school West Coast in July; my skills will evaporate almost as fast as my 5 inches of hair.

I'd like to but its a pipe dream - I'm leaving SOF in the Lejeune area and will be off to Drill Instructor school West Coast in July; my skills will evaporate almost as fast as my 5 inches of hair.

That, I'd like to see.

An old friend was a DI at San Diego, and he could turn it on and scare the shit out of me.....

The only thing scary about a Drill Instructor is requiring him to think logically after staring at a what-to-do-next card for three years while screaming at bald headed teenagers. Obviously I'm exaggerating but some are all about that life.

Then there's people like me who will likely do just fine but eagerly await going back to a deployable unit. It was not my choice to do this.

The only thing scary about a Drill Instructor is requiring him to think logically after staring at a what-to-do-next card for three years while screaming at bald headed teenagers. Obviously I'm exaggerating but some are all about that life.

Then there's people like me who will likely do just fine but eagerly await going back to a deployable unit. It was not my choice to do this.

My father was a Marine, retired at 21 years. He was given a choice of two options, and I understand it is part of a Marine's career "growth": recruiting, or the drill field. He recruited. He hated it, but he did meet my mother through it.

My friend, the former DI, was about as chill as one could be...the consummate surfer dude. He could turn 'it' on like a flip of a switch, which I always thought was fascinating. And scary.

Back