What would you take ??

I have had my West German Sig Sauer P226 (9mm) for so long (summer 1992) that I just know how it's supposed to feel when it's on target. Add to that it's impeccable record of ZERO failures in all of this time and about 10,000 rounds and that is the one I'd bet my life upon.

Ok, let's add in a 5.56 rifle platform to this scenario. Or, if you prefer, a 7.62 platform.

What do you have ? How many mags ? What type of chest rig or Plate Carrier kit ?

You need a minimum of at least a reliable AR15 platform, or Mini 14, AR10, M1A/M14 etc.

5 mags, preferably 10 that are reliable. sling, pistol holster, eye pro, ear pro etc.

Chest kit to include mag pouches, radio pouch, pistol mag pouches etc. Let's just pretend that I have enough radios and LASH systems (bone mics) for a platoon.

What do you have if I called upon you to fight with me tonight ???

I have several AR platforms (mostly NM comp rifles), for Zombies I have a Rock river SDMR topped with a M223 Nikon that I built for mid range, Remy PSS (stock) topped with Nikon Tactical for long range and my M-forgery room-broom.

Room-broom is a DEL-TON lower, with a mil-spec trigger I worked into a smooth 4lbs pull with no creep. Basic controls with MIAD pistol grip and EMOD stock on a mil-spec buffer tube, mil-spec buffer spring with H2 buffer. Upper is a CMT mil-spec & BCG-charging handle, Wilson combat 1:7 twist 16 inch barrel with mil-spec bird cage compensator. KAC-RAS (M4), mil-spec front sight assembly and gas tube, MAGPUL angle grip and M3 tac light and EoTech 511 and MAGPUL BUIS.

I run 10 MAGPUL 30rd magazines half loaded with XM193 and the other half loaded with M855, I also have 2x30rd mags loaded with AP and 4x20rd mags loaded with MK262 (they sit in a bug out bag).

I run a Eagle Plate Carrier with DB Tactical AR15 3x2 mag pouches, Army issue IFAK, Admin/light pouch, 2 smoke/FB pouches on the side and 3 on the back. I also run a BH Tactical MOLLE belt with Safariland 6004 (hip mounted) holster, Tactical Tailor 3 pistol mag pouch with mag retention devices, 5.11 2 mag single pouch with bungee retention, BH Tactical large dump pouch & handcuff case, gerber tool and K-BAR in kydex sheath.

Water is water bottles tossed into a cargo pocket (fuckin hate camelbacks).

I use a android smart phone for comms, GPS, laser range finder, picture/video and data book.

If I had to chose one I'd say some type of Glock (I'm not terribly picky), HOWEVER at the risk of taking the "easy" way out I'd say whatever fits your hand the best and you are comfortable with. That said, I'd have no issues betting my life on others manufacturers like SIG, H&K, S&W's M&P series, certain 1911's, and probably one or two others I can't think of at the moment.

As for the pistol, a USP LEM in .40 would be what I want. And I'd prefer a G3/HK91 platform for a rifle.

Have you shot the "LEM" trigger on an H&K pistol ? They are complete crap in my opinion. Way to much creep before your ever close to hitting the set point/reset point.

I traded my P2000 LEM .40 Smith towards another pistol it was so bad.

YMMV

Choices, future availability of ammo could be a factor if the engagement was not of a short duration.
Like 8 duece, A .45 Glock would be good, or a 10 MM glock, or H&K tactical in .45. Even a Sig in .45.

Or I would stand in front of my safe trying to make a choice, by the time that I did make a choice the conflict would be over.

Have you shot the "LEM" trigger on an H&K pistol ? They are complete crap in my opinion. Way to much creep before your ever close to hitting the set point/reset point.

YMMV

I hate HK triggers in the USP and Tactical, not sure if that's the same trigger your talking about. I also hate the hight of the bore axis of the HK's, causes too much flip in the recoil for me. I do however like the mag release on HK's, I would say that's about all I like on HK's...

SIG is about the same on bore axis and I hate the grip and trigger reset on Sig.

I am picky I guess.

YMMV

Yes, it was the first pistol I shot, and I haven't shot many others, so I'm a little biased. Since I don't have much experience with other pistols, I probably don't know what I'm missing. I've hated the Glock's that I have shot. All of which were owned by law enforcement officers, but I don't know if they had a particular "LEM" trigger.

The 1911's I've shot had hairpin triggers that I didn't like. They were Colt's and Kimbers.

I need to shoot pistols more.

Everrrbody hatin on the HK. Das ok. I will simply refer to the fact that with HK, it doesn't matter which way you load the magazines. You simply slay bodies, all the time.

Anyways.

Personally I have owned: USP .40 SA/DA, USP .45 Tactical w/ SA/DA, USP .45 Expert SA/DA+SAO, USP .45 Tactical w/LEM.

There are 2 LEM trigger types, the only real difference is pull weight. The Tactical and Expert will have lower pull weights than normal USP's because they're intended for a more... precision approach to application than a normal duty weapon. Still just as tough as a normal HK.

The only failure I have ever seen with a HK was a douchebag on a forum who had the audacity to tell HK that his compressed, overcharged handload, shouldn't have blown his pistol up. Nevermind the method that the pistol failed, although you could consider it catastrophic because the pistol did break... he was not injured and the only thing that happened is the frame broke into 2 pieces. The slide and barrel contained the majority of the round being fired and did not turn into a pipe bomb... which is saying something.

For long guns in-line with the whole concept, the wife would grab the shotty and I'd grab the AR. Depending, we might switch off since I've done more training with the shotgun on reloading as well as slug select, and the AR is pretty much kids play... i'd end up strapping my 7 mag to my back with complete confidence in the 700 sendero action... it fires only when it is instructed to via a hard wish of bad things to what my reticle is currently residing upon.

Yes, it was the first pistol I shot, and I haven't shot many others, so I'm a little biased. Since I don't have much experience with other pistols, I probably don't know what I'm missing. I've hated the Glock's that I have shot. All of which were owned by law enforcement officers, but I don't know if they had a particular "LEM" trigger.

The "Law Enforcement Module" is a replacement firing mechanism for the HK pistol that changes it from a standard Single/double or double/single action (depending on your choice of carry) to a modified single action. The hammer's cocked when you chamber a round, but there is a disconnect between the hammer and the hammer spring. There is no external safety, the safety is the trigger just like on a glock. If the trigger is not manipulated, the connecting bar from the trigger to the firing mechanism will not actuate the firing pin block. That firing pin block is spring loaded and always in position on all the USP pistols unless the trigger is manipulated. The advantage of the LEM is that like with a Glock "safe trigger" or whatever they call it, you have a repeatable, consistant trigger every time you pull the trigger. There is very little if any discernible difference between your initial trigger pull from the draw, and the trigger pull from firing... ie, you fire, release to trigger reset, and fire again... and you aren't going to have much if any difference. However, unlike a glock, a LEM trigger module is capable of double-action firing if necessary due to whatever reason. Having the double action is nice if you're doing reloading with new primers that you haven't tested before... if it takes double hammer strikes for say 2-3 out of a pack of primers, you know you should just shoot what you loaded, and either A: mark the rounds you load with that batch of primers as training ammo only, or B: just toss those primers and shoot what you have left from that reloading batch.

Basically, you give up an external safety and decock capability for having less to have to manipulate. It is something you can buy for any USP model, but I don't know if they do the same for the new P2000 or whatever the hell HK is selling these days. USP's are a big pistol, larger than comfortable for most people.. but like it says under my name, I'm not nicknamed sasquatch by some on here just because of my looks, I'm one big mofugger and the doublestack .45 fits my hands just fine. Never mind that I can conceal it with day to day clothing without any issues, and even in the lighter clothing required to survive summer in the south I still had no issues with concealment.

Of course, there's the anomaly of my wife who is 5'5" and who actually prefer's my expert to her compact due to the expert's trigger vs her compact's trigger. She has no issues with manipulating anything on either of those pistols, nor any issues with firing accuracy or speed of follow up shots.

I haven't bothered with an actual round count for my Expert, but just going off of how much we'd reload and shoot 4 days a week back at Ft. Benning between myself and the wife, I have put at least 60,000 rounds through it and it is still going completely strong. I would call up the wife during lunch at work, and have her crank out a thousand or so rounds and we'd shoot them all between the two of us when I was released for the day. Daytime, Nighttime, Summertime, Wintertime. Four days a week. Every week. Usually I would end up burning more of the rounds since the missus would get bored or would start coming up with new scenarios for me to shoot.

Now, I'm restricted due to finances to doing dryfire only for any sort of training. My concession to that is every time I get up and put my pistol on I do 50 draws and dry-fire engagements with whatever I'm wearing to go out and about just because... so I do what I can. I'm not willing to dip into my oh-shit reserve to continue to train with live fire.

The most major reason I prefer the LEM is pretty simple. Glocks are not comfortable with their grip angle, and in general I just don't like them. The LEM brings the "Glock Safe action" effectively to a weapons platform I prefer, have trained on, am comfortable with, and above all (as mentioned above), have a slight bit of proficiency with.

The USP .40 pistol I first bought was a nice pistol and at that point I had no specific brand orientation... if I had the money, I would buy some FN P.45 Tactical's because they fit even better than the USP, and have a higher round capacity capability in the .45 caliber. Price with HK's is a huge deal, considering that a new Tactical or Expert is going to buy you 2 or 3 other pistols.

USP's are a big pistol, larger than comfortable for most people.. but like it says under my name, I'm not nicknamed sasquatch by some on here just because of my looks, I'm one big mofugger and the doublestack .45 fits my hands just fine.

I should of noted that I like it in a compact. The USP is definitely a larger pistol, that compact fits well in my hands though. I'm 16, so while the compact is still larger than most other compact handguns, the grip is comfortable for me.

Back