What's The Best Concealed Carry Handgun?

My personal opinion lands me with the Glock 27.

The reasons are: The .40 Smith round has good terminal performance- about as good as a .45 and better than a 9mm. The weapon is SIMPLE. You don't have to attain a certain grip, flip any levers before you can shoot, or keep your thumb on a safety to keep it from accidentally activating while you're fighting for your life. It's accurate. It's polymer, so sweat doesn't corrode it like some prettier guns. It's relatively small, but still large enough to have a full size grip. It has a greater mag capacity than a .45. The .40 Smith is a relatively common round these days, so ammo should be readily available. The recoil is much more manageable than a .357 Sig. Holsters are easy to come by, due to the commonality of the Glock pistols. It's not nearly as expensive as other pistols that many times end up being far more problematic. It's ugly, which I like. It comes ready to rock, right out of the box, unlike so many others that seem to require frequent tweaking. The slide is nice and flat, which makes getting a sight picture quick and easy. But most of all, it's RELIABLE. Bang instead of click, every time. I especially like that.

If you don't believe the Glock is more reliable than most other pistols, try this test that John Shaw demonstrated for us back when the Glocks first came out: Take 2 pistols, bury them in the dirt. Jump up and down on them, cycle a round, attempt to fire. If you're willing to get some pistols dirty and you try this a few times, you'll have your answer. So much for the pretty and expensive guns.

The best concealed carry handgun is whatever you can carry (and fire accurately) that can easily hide without printing in whatever clothing that your wearing at the time. With that in mind, it opens the choices to just about anything.

Me, I like my Kimber Ultra Carry. I also will use a G23, KelTec P3At or a Smith MP snubby dependent on where I'm going or just for something different. All of which are carried with the plan to take care of business until I can fight my way back to my rifle.

The one I am carrying, this subject has been beat to death. I don't care what it is, if you can throw a rock and hit someone right between the eyes and knock there ass out ,you are good to go.

Interesting how these best CCW threads always start off okay and inevitably turn into my gun is better then yours, or this caliber is better then this one threads.

Something that really bugs the shit out of me is the “it’s comfortable” comments. I don’t think a pistol, more over a defense pistol should be based on how comfortable it is to shoot. Firearms by nature are not comfortable; it’s a piece of equipment that allows a controlled explosion to push a projectile out. Nothing comfortable about that! The only comfort involved should be in your proficiency with that firearm and your confidence in its performance. That is not based on any brand or model, but on your knowledge of the firearm you have and the amount of training you put into your performance with that firearm.

Something else that I think is being left out here, which a few have hinted about it, is the need for a risk assessment. The first part of the selection of a defensive firearm is a full blown risk assessment of your self and the possible threats you may face. If you are in the back country of Alaska you may not think a six shot 38spc is the best option for Grizzly Bear, where in the streets of a major city that 38spc might be all you need for a would be robber.

You need to be more specific when asking for input such as “hey I wear a Mc Donald’s uniform, don’t drive a car/ ride a bus and in my area there are a lot of drug related robberies”. This would tell me you need something small enough that you can carry while working, something that has enough capacity to take out 1 to 3 bad guys and of a caliber large enough to kill a bad guy jacked up on drugs.

We can name off all types of pistols and calibers but with out a self risk assessment and some honest (this is my threats, my environment, my daily activity, my daily attire ect) I think its safe to say we are all pissing in the wind.

A shit load of great advice and a wealth of experience in this thread…. I would use it to the best of my ability, by putting the necessary info out on the table so these professionals can give you the proper advice.

Interesting how these best CCW threads always start off okay and inevitably turn into my gun is better then yours, or this caliber is better then this one threads.

Something that really bugs the shit out of me is the “it’s comfortable” comments. I don’t think a pistol, more over a defense pistol should be based on how comfortable it is to shoot. Firearms by nature are not comfortable; it’s a piece of equipment that allows a controlled explosion to push a projectile out. Nothing comfortable about that! The only comfort involved should be in your proficiency with that firearm and your confidence in its performance. That is not based on any brand or model, but on your knowledge of the firearm you have and the amount of training you put into your performance with that firearm.

Something else that I think is being left out here, which a few have hinted about it, is the need for a risk assessment. The first part of the selection of a defensive firearm is a full blown risk assessment of your self and the possible threats you may face. If you are in the back country of Alaska you may not think a six shot 38spc is the best option for Grizzly Bear, where in the streets of a major city that 38spc might be all you need for a would be robber.

You need to be more specific when asking for input such as “hey I wear a Mc Donald’s uniform, don’t drive a car/ ride a bus and in my area there are a lot of drug related robberies”. This would tell me you need something small enough that you can carry while working, something that has enough capacity to take out 1 to 3 bad guys and of a caliber large enough to kill a bad guy jacked up on drugs.

We can name off all types of pistols and calibers but with out a self risk assessment and some honest (this is my threats, my environment, my daily activity, my daily attire ect) I think its safe to say we are all pissing in the wind.

A shit load of great advice and a wealth of experience in this thread…. I would use it to the best of my ability, by putting the necessary info out on the table so these professionals can give you the proper advice.

Roger that, JAB. I actually started off with a long post- with those kind of details, and then deleted it. I was visiting a Ranger buddy of mine here in N.C. who is an avid gun collector, and I asked for some advice from him, regarding the Glock 30. His advice was "don't get paralysis by analysis". So when I came back here and started typing, his voice echoed in my head, and I deleted what I wrote and just broke it down with just the "nitty gritty".

As for the thread degrading to a "my gun is better than yours", I didn't notice that happening, but there might have been some posts deleted, however. I did my best to spell it out right in the first sentence of the opening post: "In your opinion". I hope nobody gets offended, and a bunch of hardcore military and Law Enforcement vets can have this discussion without allowing that to happen. If anybody has anything of value to say on this subject it is this crew right here.

As to the subject being beaten to death, I did a search on the subject, and didn't find one on this subject, and wanted to avoid hijacking another thread on a similar subject(dealing with various concealed CARRY METHODS). Again, there might have been some threads on specific firearms that got deleted that I missed out on. There aren't any threads on it anymore that I'm aware of.

Basically, this is what do you personally feel is a good (or the "best") all -around. By wording my question like that, I believe most with some knowledge to share will speak up, and the material will be relevant to anyone who reads the thread.

Just talked to my Dad and he is packing a Colt Mustang .380 (78 y/o) and loves it. Mom (74 y/o) carries a S&W stub nose .38 and is very proficanet with it.

My personal opinion lands me with the Glock 27.

The reasons are: The .40 Smith round has good terminal performance- about as good as a .45 and better than a 9mm. The weapon is SIMPLE. You don't have to attain a certain grip, flip any levers before you can shoot, or keep your thumb on a safety to keep it from accidentally activating while you're fighting for your life. It's accurate. It's polymer, so sweat doesn't corrode it like some prettier guns. It's relatively small, but still large enough to have a full size grip. It has a greater mag capacity than a .45. The .40 Smith is a relatively common round these days, so ammo should be readily available. The recoil is much more manageable than a .357 Sig. Holsters are easy to come by, due to the commonality of the Glock pistols. It's not nearly as expensive as other pistols that many times end up being far more problematic. It's ugly, which I like. It comes ready to rock, right out of the box, unlike so many others that seem to require frequent tweaking. The slide is nice and flat, which makes getting a sight picture quick and easy. But most of all, it's RELIABLE. Bang instead of click, every time. I especially like that.

If you don't believe the Glock is more reliable than most other pistols, try this test that John Shaw demonstrated for us back when the Glocks first came out: Take 2 pistols, bury them in the dirt. Jump up and down on them, cycle a round, attempt to fire. If you're willing to get some pistols dirty and you try this a few times, you'll have your answer. So much for the pretty and expensive guns.

I agree with you! I also like J.A.B.'s comments on risk assessment, being part of your choice on type of weapon chosen, type of clothing worn, ammo, and other factors on weapon choice, or the number and types you carry. I hinted at it with my remark about the Benelli shotgun and HK 93 remark. My Department now issues Glock 22 Pistols and if I was still working I would carry it. I'd also carry my Glock 27 as my BUG and both a fixed blade knife and my folder. In my truck would be the Benellli and the HK 93 or 91.

Roger that, JAB. I actually started off with a long post- with those kind of details, and then deleted it. I was visiting a Ranger buddy of mine here in N.C. who is an avid gun collector, and I asked for some advice from him, regarding the Glock 30. His advice was "don't get paralysis by analysis". So when I came back here and started typing, his voice echoed in my head, and I deleted what I wrote and just broke it down with just the "nitty gritty".

As for the thread degrading to a "my gun is better than yours", I didn't notice that happening, but there might have been some posts deleted, however. I did my best to spell it out right in the first sentence of the opening post: "In your opinion". I hope nobody gets offended, and a bunch of hardcore military and Law Enforcement vets can have this discussion without allowing that to happen. If anybody has anything of value to say on this subject it is this crew right here.

As to the subject being beaten to death, I did a search on the subject, and didn't find one on this subject, and wanted to avoid hijacking another thread on a similar subject(dealing with various concealed CARRY METHODS). Again, there might have been some threads on specific firearms that got deleted that I missed out on. There aren't any threads on it anymore that I'm aware of.

Basically, this is what do you personally feel is a good (or the "best") all -around. By wording my question like that, I believe most with some knowledge to share will speak up, and the material will be relevant to anyone who reads the thread.

No worries bro, I am not kicking you with that post... Just saying there is no #1 best pistol for CCW. I would hate to see some dude get on here and see that some HSLD Ninja said a Glock 19 is the #1 Best pistola to find he got his ass chewed off by a Polar Bear. }:-)

Rereading my post, I can see where it may have come off as a "hey you, your thread is fucked up" kind of post. That was not my thoughts or the message I was trying to give. Great thread!

If you'd like a Glock alternative, try the CZ 2075 RAMI subcompact. It's available in 9mm and .40, although I haven't fired the .40.

Did I mention that I'm eyeing the Springfield EMP due to it's comfort factor ? :D

I looked at one of those today. It's absolutely a stunning beauty, and it feels great in the hand (as does the XD) but the price tag is way north of the rest of the playing field. That's certainly no pocket gun. At 2 to 3 times the price of some of the other compacts, it's an investment.

I looked at one of those today. It's absolutely a stunning beauty, and it feels great in the hand (as does the XD) but the price tag is way north of the rest of the playing field. That's certainly no pocket gun. At 2 to 3 times the price of some of the other compacts, it's an investment.

I like anything Springfield, especially their 1911 pieces. Nothing of theirs is cheap, that's for sure.

I'm in the middle of building someone elses AR lower and I think I lost a detent pin down my sink. :uhh:

More to follow in the morning. :D

"What's the best gun to carry"

My suggestion:
Learn better negotiating and try to talk the bad guy down. Maybe he's having a bad day, and just needs some attention. today's kids are growing up with more stress than we ever had. They are entitled to anything they want, just for the privilege.

Guns= Bad = frown

No guns = good = turn that frown upside down ;-)

Can you actually fuckin believe there are whistle dicks that actually believe that bullshit I just belched??

To answer your question, please carry the weapon you shoot the best, are most confident with, and is dependable enough to save your life... or the life of someone you love

Great advice so far. I have acted upon some of it.

Yesterday I shot the Glock 30 and the Glock 36.

Some pics, comparing them to the Beretta 92FS- which I love, but is difficult to carry concealed in the summer time.

e66f44.jpg

bgbm6c.jpg

ae1e8p.jpg

10opurt.jpg

I also like the sight configuration right out of the box, and how easy it is to get a natural point of aim. The simple, flat top makes acquiring a sight picture very fast.

Surprisingly, there is very little recoil considering how "short" and stocky this gun is, even for a .45 ACP round. I'm pretty impressed. Contrary to my expectations, I prefer the fatter Glock 30 over the slim 36. I thought the 36 (single stack 6+1) would be easier to grip. Instead, I prefer the 30 (double stack 10+1).

246qp1v.jpg

4t3nmp.jpg

EDITED TO ADD: There's 30 rounds through that hole at 7 yards.

I also like the sight configuration right out of the box, and how easy it is to get a natural point of aim. The simple, flat top makes acquiring a sight picture very fast.

Surprisingly, there is very little recoil considering how "short" and stocky this gun is, even for a .45 ACP round. I'm pretty impressed. Contrary to my expectations, I prefer the fatter Glock 30 over the slim 36. I thought the 36 (single stack 6+1) would be easier to grip. Instead, I prefer the 30 (double stack 10+1).

http://i47.tinypic.com/246qp1v.
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/4t3nmp

EDITED TO ADD: [B]There's 30 rounds through that hole at 7 yards[/B].[/QUOTE]

Now explain the hundred misses at the bottom. :evil:

Back