What's The Best Concealed Carry Handgun?

I guess I'm the odd guy here. I typically conceal fullsize pistols. I'm not the biggest guy around, and I usually walk around with a 1911 Government model or HK45. If I'm flying somewhere, my travel pistol is a 1911 Commander or HK USP in .40 S&W. Right now, I'm seriously contemplating the HK45 compact, but honestly, it's not that much smaller than the fullsize. I just want it :cool:

I do believe that the best concealed carry handgun is, in general terms, the largest pistol in caliber and physical size that you can shoot well and fast, and most importantly that you will wear religiously. The gun has to fit your hand well, and you have to practice with whatever holster system you choose- a lot.

I agree with your basic idea here; however, as many have mentioned the type of clothing ones forced to wear, activities one is engaged in, location and in the case LEO's, what the departments regulations require. One of the reasons I picked the Glock 27 & Glock 26 is that most LE agencies (To include my old one.) issue the Glock 22. (Other agencies use Glock 9MMs.) I like the idea of a smaller compact weapon easier to conceal that one can use the full sized issue mags (G-22/23 mags in G-27). A variety of holsters to fit the needs of what one is forcred to wear due to social events and/or weather is important as well.

I agree with your basic idea here; however, as many have mentioned the type of clothing ones forced to wear, activities one is engaged in, location and in the case LEO's, what the departments regulations require. One of the reasons I picked the Glock 27 & Glock 26 is that most LE agencies (To include my old one.) issue the Glock 22. (Other agencies use Glock 9MMs.) I like the idea of a smaller compact weapon easier to conceal that one can use the full sized issue mags (G-22/23 mags in G-27). A variety of holsters to fit the needs of what one is forcred to wear due to social events and/or weather is important as well.

That's a solid premise, and I can't argue against it. It also has the advantage (if you're in LE) of allowing you to shoot the PD's ammo instead of your own. As we all know, it's much more fun to shoot someone else's ammo. We issue (but aren't limited to) the S&W M&P40, and some of our guys have bought the compact model from our distributor for exactly the reasons you list, plus they're already familiar with the weapon and we give them free ammo.

Having been through a bunch of holsters, here's what I've come to rely on for concealment. I have Raven Concealment Phantom (belt) holsters/mag pouches for the Government model and HKs. They're very concealable and hold the pistol/mags close to the body. If I'm in a situation where a covering garment isn't feasible and I must present a more formal appearance with a tucked in shirt, I'll use Comp-Tac CTAC tuckable holsters (they're great; the guns just disappear). The Glock 27 BUG lives in a DeSantis ankle holster. For some assignments, I've used the appendix carry method.

Obviously everyone has their personal preferences... I have found that the Smith and Wesson M&P 40 conceals nicely. I have both the full size and the compact and they conceal easily. The great thing about these guns is that they tailor nicely to your hand. With the changeable backstrap you have the ability to adjust the size of the grip to the size of your hand. Also, with it being a .40, you have the ability to carry more rounds than a typical .45. I know I appreciate the stopping power of the .40 over the 9mm.

So there it is... my opinion. Take it or leave it!

1911 when clothing permits, otherwise I found my Taurus Millennium (.45ACP) is one of the easiest .45 cal weapons to conceal. The 12rd mag is a perfect fir for my hands, and I only need to stock one type of ammo for my handguns.

20258-1.jpg

Holy crap, I just noticed this thread has over 149,000 views!

Holy crap, I just noticed this thread has over 149,000 views!
SS shows up a lot when you do research on all kinds of subjects. Plenty of intro threads start with, "I was doing research and ran across this site."

I think you mean "all of us potential domestic terrorists." Don't act like if we're gettin' our First Blood on that you're just sitting at the house and sipping tea, Comrade.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am but a poor, disconnected student at a very liberal college in a very liberal and gun-hating state.

I carry a Glock 17 during the winter months (easier to conceal with layers) and a SIG P250 Subcompact 9mm the rest of the time. I also put the P250 in a holster under my steering wheel whenever I am driving, in case I ever run into that "special criminal" that really wants to steal my truck. Oklahoma goes to the new 'Open Carry' option in November, so licensed CCW holders won't be required to conceal anymore or worry about "printing," as both will no longer be issues legally.

I liked my glock 17. Tried the 26 and the 19, but found I preferred the heavier weight of the 17 for recoil control. Odd, I know, but the larger size and weight really didn't bother me while I was carrying it,

Yup, my Glock 17 is my favorite too.

My Glock 17, but if I have to go smaller I like my IAI .380 Back Up; I've had it for 20 years and have never had a problem with it.

Most of the time I can get by with casual dress, and simply not tucking the shirt in. Use a Safariland right side paddle rig that is perfect. Very concealable under a jacket, sports coat, even some suit coats. For a lower profile I use a .38 caliber Hopkins & Allen X.L. Double Action 5 shot revolver in a rig that my belt weaves through; absolutely undetectable, and very reliable. My "pocket" piece is a .32 caliber H & R Arms 5 shot revolver. I can carry this in a trouser pocket with no clue that it is there. Also reliable, and of nice weight that if thrown, it will hurt and leave a nasty scar too8-). The .32 caliber has a very smooth action, is reliable and accurate, both in rounds squeezed off, or using an overhand throwing form:rolleyes:.

I was the 1st Monterey PD officer to start carrying the H&K P-7. It holds 7 rounds (9mm) but is inherantly accurrate, and easy to coceal. It doesn't have anything that interferes with clothing.
To my mind, the H&K P7 is to pistols what the Thompson is to sub-machineguns, i.e. a whacking great chunk of ordnance steel, machined into a very high quality firearm.hkp7.jpg

In your opinion, what is the best handgun all-around for daily concealed carry? I've done some searches on this topic, and of course answers always vary, but I especially respect the opinions of members here, and would like any advice or insight- especially if you've been happy with a particular model, or dissatisfied with another.

Basic criteria is (in order of importance)

1. reliability
2. accuracy
3. concealability/size considerations
4. firepower/ ammo capacity
5. Other (whatever feature you might view as important)

I don't fancy myself a pistolero. I carry a 1991A1 .45 Automatic Colt Pistol. I've always carried a 1911 style, for about 36 years. It may not be the most reliable, accurate, concealable, high cap or anything else. However, I'm very familiar with it, I can't count the rounds I've put down range with it and, well, this old dog is not into learning anything new any more. I think if I was ever called upon to engage with a pistol, I'd rather have familiarity, muscle memory and second nature than anything else. (Think of Major Payne hanging upside down, blind folded, field stripping and reassembling.) 8-)

glock-vs-1911.jpg

Back