What's The Best Concealed Carry Handgun?

Hehehe!

"It was then that the RSO came over to my lane and informed me that besides there being a rule against shooting from the prone, I also had to stop bump firing the G30 from the hip as well.";)

The wife is gone and I decided to practice live fire out back. I put 50 rounds a month out of each three weapons I carry CCW. I shot the Glock 36 with reasonable results shooting a three round draw fire while moving left to right then right to left then reholstering.
Everything went well with the Glock and the Sig P239. I changed holsters and put on the Colt .380 Government and started my drill and the draw was fine and then I almost broke my finger trying to shoot the three rounds until my brain said take off the safety. I think I will stop carrying the Colt and go with a wheel gun or auto without a safety. I have never had this problem but it shook me to the core today. I am not saying one is better than the other but for me having two without a safety and one with isn't working anymore. I also know the Sig and Glock have safeties just not a lever you have to switch. Just passing on an experience I had
Bill

That is part of it and I think it is a important part. Rote behavior is probably what everyone operates on when the pucker factors is extremely high and the brain is trying to find a out. Having to think about a small and normally a insignificant part of shooting probably won't happen. "Fight as you train, train as you fight", has always been a good concept.

The wife is gone and I decided to practice live fire out back. I put 50 rounds a month out of each three weapons I carry CCW. I shot the Glock 36 with reasonable results shooting a three round draw fire while moving left to right then right to left then reholstering.
Everything went well with the Glock and the Sig P239. I changed holsters and put on the Colt .380 Government and started my drill and the draw was fine and then I almost broke my finger trying to shoot the three rounds until my brain said take off the safety. I think I will stop carrying the Colt and go with a wheel gun or auto without a safety. I have never had this problem but it shook me to the core today. I am not saying one is better than the other but for me having two without a safety and one with isn't working anymore. I also know the Sig and Glock have safeties just not a lever you have to switch. Just passing on an experience I had
Bill

This is the same reason I don't carry my 92FS and 1911's anymore. I got so hooked on my Glocks I went stupid when I tried to go back to the others. Nothing against any of them, I just don't feel like dry drills of knocking the saftey off out of the holster a shit load of times before I load up and head out the door.

JBS, nice shot group with that G36......I think your tracking like a blood hound on your next carry pistola!

I also like the sight configuration right out of the box, and how easy it is to get a natural point of aim. The simple, flat top makes acquiring a sight picture very fa Contrary to my expectations, I prefer the fatter Glock 30 over the slim 36. I thought the 36 (single stack 6+1) would be easier to grip. Instead, I prefer the 30 (double stack 10+1).

I'm thinking the 36 is the only slimline Glock makes, right? I went to check some out today thinking toward a 33 because my hands are small. What I found was that the length of the grip was not the issue. The issue was the width. My f-ing little hands could not wrap comfortably around the back of the grip with my thumb and still have the length my index finger needed to comfortably rest on the trigger. *Pause for laughter.*

What did fit (just a little too nicely) was the Kahr PM40 (with laser of course) at better than double the price. Any recommendations?

Why is it alway's the fat ass guy doing some dumb shit with a firearm and taping it on Youtube. :rolleyes:

"Hey look other dumb shits I'mma gonna rock n rolla this wholla magga out my Beretta for the camera, got more samiches?"

}:-)

I use a Desert Eagle .50 AE and hide it in my cod piece. Funny thing, I get these really hawt gals giving me their phone numbers when I conceal carry. Strange world out there, when I carry my Beretta .22, nothing happens.

1) Define need

2) define how you will carry it

3) look at calibers that fit your need

4) look at pistol that fit your hands.

5)... difficult to do at times, take and shoot the pistol. Does it work for you or you would rather get beaten up by a punk than beaten up by a pistol. See, if pistol fits your needs and you.

6) narrow the field down to a few choices, shop around, get the best price, buy all the choices and shoot them. The one that you can operate with out thinking much and carry easily, start carrying it. See how it works out in your activities.

Maybe take one of the other choices and give it a try.

The best decision maker is experience, your personal experience, not someone elses. Once you decide what choices works, then you can sell the remaining one, keep them or ship them to my home for lonely pistols or Mr. Troll. Unlike most purchases, if you buy well, selling a firearm can actually make money or loose very little of it. Considering the value of your life or a love ones, it is one heck of a deal.

What did fit (just a little too nicely) was the Kahr PM40 (with laser of course) at better than double the price. Any recommendations?

The new Generation 4 Glock has 3 backstraps that you can change out for the grip, the Smith and Wesson M&P line does the same as well I believe. Another option is to look at the Springfield XDM line. You can also find a number of gunsmiths that will work the grip to make it smaller:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=glock+grip+reduction&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I've seen gunsmiths offer the same reduction for the M&P and XD/M series as well.

If you like a DA/SA pistol, the SIG P239 has a smaller grip than the Glock while the P250 is closer in size to a Glock's.

I carry a Springfield XD subcompact in .40 S&W. I used to carry the Service model but I found that it printed way too much and carrying concealed means just that, concealed. I don't tell anybody that I carry that absolutley doesn't need to know and I always carry wherever legal. It's a very reliable gun, I've put more than 500 rounds through it without a problem. It comes with two mags, a 9 round mag that fits flush and a twelve round mag that has an extension. I bought a Pearce grip extension for the 9 round mag for a little extra room for my pinky finger. I also bought a second 12 round mag to go in my mag holster. It shoots great, has a great trigger at 5.5 lbs. I prefer it to the Glock because it has a grip safety along with the trigger safety and I feel safer having that extra measure of safety. I wear it in a IWB holster and no matter what I wear it doesn't print, even with shorts and tshirt. It's very accurate right out of the box and at $475, it was well worth what I paid. Also, it has a striker indicator and a loaded chamber indicator that you can feel so that in the dark you can be sure that your gun is ready to go. It's also the only subcompact that I know of that has a light rail. I think that it's a much better choice than a Glock, with the extra safety features and better accuracy plus it's about a $100 cheaper you can't go wrong.

In your opinion, what is the best handgun all-around for daily concealed carry? I've done some searches on this topic, and of course answers always vary, but I especially respect the opinions of members here, and would like any advice or insight- especially if you've been happy with a particular model, or dissatisfied with another.

Basic criteria is (in order of importance)

1. reliability
2. accuracy
3. concealability/size considerations
4. firepower/ ammo capacity
5. Other (whatever feature you might view as important)

In my opinion, I was prior law enforcement deputy. I carry what I feel comfortable with which is a glock 30. It is a 45 but it is a subcompact with alot of stopping power. There are holster you can get that can go in the inside of your pants to conceal it more, but practice on the range so you know how you will react in a street fight. It is big, but I have a lot of confidence when I am carrying it. There are ankle holster that fit the pistol perfectly my supervisor used to have that it just take some time getting used to the extra weight on your leg. I hpoe this helps.

I very recentlly had talk bout this with another person and in my opinion its what you're most used to.

If you shoot a 1911 all the time, than that or at least maybe a compact version of it so all is still mostly the same.

Same goes for if you shoot a Glock or S&W M&P, if you don't wanna CCW the full size they have the more compact versions.

Anything that you are most used to so all is natural.

Most rounds are plenty potent enough. I mean I know I'm not gonna argue with you probally if I got shot in the face with a .357 or a .380.

I carry a Springfield XD subcompact in .40 S&W. I used to carry the Service model but I found that it printed way too much and carrying concealed means just that, concealed. I don't tell anybody that I carry that absolutley doesn't need to know and I always carry wherever legal. It's a very reliable gun, I've put more than 500 rounds through it without a problem. It comes with two mags, a 9 round mag that fits flush and a twelve round mag that has an extension. I bought a Pearce grip extension for the 9 round mag for a little extra room for my pinky finger. I also bought a second 12 round mag to go in my mag holster. It shoots great, has a great trigger at 5.5 lbs. I prefer it to the Glock because it has a grip safety along with the trigger safety and I feel safer having that extra measure of safety. I wear it in a IWB holster and no matter what I wear it doesn't print, even with shorts and tshirt. It's very accurate right out of the box and at $475, it was well worth what I paid. Also, it has a striker indicator and a loaded chamber indicator that you can feel so that in the dark you can be sure that your gun is ready to go. It's also the only subcompact that I know of that has a light rail. I think that it's a much better choice than a Glock, with the extra safety features and better accuracy plus it's about a $100 cheaper you can't go wrong.

Why don't you tell us the truth why you don't like Glock.....You don't have Man hands and can't grip it LOL...Got Glock

Why don't you tell us the truth why you don't like Glock.....You don't have Man hands and can't grip it LOL...Got Glock

It's funny that you say that. One of the things I prefer about the Glock is that relative to the capacity it has small grips. I get a much better handle on it than the M9.

Worst sounds ever, click when you want to here a bang and a bang when you want to hear a click

Yep.

As a caveat, even though Glocks are "My" weapon of choice, if you're going to get one, are new to the world of DAO's, and have never spent time with a SAP, do so first and get very familiar with it before CC, or anything else for that matter, at the range and if possible, with more knowledgeable owners/carriers. It will be time well spent. Solo mis 2 centavos...FWIW.

I guess I'm the odd guy here. I typically conceal fullsize pistols. I'm not the biggest guy around, and I usually walk around with a 1911 Government model or HK45. If I'm flying somewhere, my travel pistol is a 1911 Commander or HK USP in .40 S&W. Right now, I'm seriously contemplating the HK45 compact, but honestly, it's not that much smaller than the fullsize. I just want it
cool.png

I do believe that the best concealed carry handgun is, in general terms, the largest pistol in caliber and physical size that you can shoot well and fast, and most importantly that you will wear religiously. The gun has to fit your hand well, and you have to practice with whatever holster system you choose- a lot.

I am pretty adaptable. It really depends on a number of factors on what I carry. Sometimes I consult the flakes in my cereal bowl. I conceal carry when I hunt, sort of a back up gun/coup de grace, that could be a .44 mag 8 3/8 inc barrel or a 6" .454 casul. Shopping, anything from a .22 Baretta pocket pistol,,,,,,,,, to what ever depending on how I dress.

Back