Who are our computer techies?

Devildoc

Verified Military
I just got a new computer and having a devil of a time getting into recognize monitors on VGA. Will one of our techies reach out through a p.m. and help me troubleshoot this?
Thanks!
DD

Getting a VGA monitor to be recognized is not usually much of an issue.

A few questions-
Mac or PC?

Are you running dual monitors or just one monitor?

Is the power light for the monitor turning on?

Have you tried a different monitor?

Have you tried a different VGA cable?

Getting a VGA monitor to be recognized is not usually much of an issue.

A few questions-
Mac or PC?

Are you running dual monitors or just one monitor?

Is the power light for the monitor turning on?

Have you tried a different monitor?

Have you tried a different VGA cable?

PC

Single monitor (I tried 2)

Yes, power to both

I have tried three different VGA cables

As soon as I turn on the computer I see "no signal" on the monitor and then it just goes black, I can't even pull up the settings button on the monitor to ensure the settings are correct. I have attached the computer via HDMI to my TV and have gotten it up that way.

As soon as I turn on the computer I see "no signal" on the monitor and then it just goes black, I can't even pull up the settings button on the monitor to ensure the settings are correct.
This makes you wonder if maybe you have a bad monitor?

Not even hooked up to a computer, you should be able to manipulate the buttons to pull up a “settings” section to play around with.

This makes you wonder if maybe you have a bad monitor?

Not even hooked up to a computer, you should be able to manipulate the buttons to pull up a “settings” section to play around with.

two monitors and three VGA cables. All of them are good to go independently with our other computer.

Question:. I'm getting it at work on HDMI on the TV, via video card. I have read where VGA is unsupported if you have a video card? That is the extent of my understanding and knowledge with computers.

I have read where VGA is unsupported if you have a video card?

If you have a VGA monitor input on the back of your computer it should recognize your monitor.

For the hell of it, snap a picture of the back of your computer the the way you currently have it set up?

Let people wake up and get their coffee, I’m thinking of a few folks on this board, especially some of the known gamers, will have this fixed for you sooner than later.

Not trying to be an asshole here but, when you say "new" computer, do you mean new to you or brand new from Best Buy?
Cuz I haven't seen mini-6 serial mouse/keyboard ports in a while.

Lol, not an asshole, I've no idea what's current tech vs not. It's new from Amazon. It's a build.

@Devildoc Based on the service tag, you are rocking a Dell (not Adelle, the singer, dad joke, it never gets old!) What version of Windows are you on?

If it works on your TV via HDMI, then set it up off that so we can trouble shoot.
Once your solid on your TV, then plug in your VGA Monitor.
I'd start with adjusting your Display settings, it might be too high or low for you computer.
Right click on your desktop, click on Display settings.
Scroll all the way down to Multiple Displays, you can leave it on Duplicate.
Now scroll up and adjust scale and layout until you get it on both Screens (TV and Monitor).
Once that is done unplug the HDMI and the VGA should pick up as the only monitor.
Clean up your mess and Pour a whiskey...you earned it!

8-) :thumbsup:

@Devildoc Based on the service tag, you are rocking a Dell (not Adelle, the singer, dad joke, it never gets old!) What version of Windows are you on?

If it works on your TV via HDMI, then set it up off that so we can trouble shoot.
Once your solid on your TV, then plug in your VGA Monitor.
I'd start with adjusting your Display settings, it might be too high or low for you computer.
Right click on your desktop, click on Display settings.
Scroll all the way down to Multiple Displays, you can leave it on Duplicate.
Now scroll up and adjust scale and layout until you get it on both Screens (TV and Monitor).
Once that is done unplug the HDMI and the VGA should pick up as the only monitor.
Clean up your mess and Pour a whiskey...you earned it!

8-) :thumbsup:
I'm not seeing HDMI back there.

I agree this could be a display setting issue though. Try this with your VGA to TV.

I'm not seeing HDMI back there.

I agree this could be a display setting issue though. Try this with your VGA to TV.

Me thinks its on that Gold slot with the DVI as well. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time today...not the last!!!!

:ROFLMAO:

EDIT...that brings up a great point. @Devildoc does your monitor have a Dell Display port or DVI Connector? If so this may be another option to get you up and running! Or better yet, what is the model of your Monitor? Also can you attach a pic of the back of your monitor. Thanks! :ninja:

Me thinks its on that Gold slot with the DVI as well. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time today...not the last!!!!

EDIT...that brings up a great point. @Devildoc does your monitor have a Dell Display port or DVI Connector? If so this may be another option to get you up and running! Or better yet, what is the model of your Monitor? Also can you attach a pic of the back of your monitor. Thanks! :ninja:
You mean the little hole under that tab? Could be. Just not sure the specs list it.
What say you @Devildoc ?

You're right, HDMI connection is to the right of the DVI port. The monitor also has DVI connection so will a DVI cable be good enough?

Attachments

• 16096911794806150853065322692389.jpg
    16096911794806150853065322692389.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
Dumb question and apologies if you already did this or it has been done: Is your computer monitor input setting on VGA?

It is very possible that your input setting was on HDMI which would explain why your monitor is not detecting any HDMI signal. You may need to keep pressing your input button on your monitor until it changes to VGA.

Dumb question and apologies if you already did this or it has been done: Is your computer monitor input setting on VGA?

It is very possible that your input setting was on HDMI which would explain why your monitor is not detecting any HDMI signal. You may need to keep pressing your input button on your monitor until it changes to VGA.
Yep. Check the easy things first: is your computer sending a message to another display, and is that display's input set to receive it?

Back