Who are our computer techies?

You're right, HDMI connection is to the right of the DVI port. The monitor also has DVI connection so will a DVI cable be good enough?

I think you checked the easy stuff already. This might call for some hacker tips on the d@rkn3t.

:ROFLMAO:

If you have the DVI cable.....let's go that route. It uses a known good slot on your PC, since we know hdmi works. The goal is to work thru known goods to find a known bad...hoping as someone said your VGA on that new build is missing 1s and 0s.

:thumbsup:

From the picture. It looks like the intent is to use the video card and not the vga connection maybe coming from the motherboard. I would use the hdmi or dvi on the video card instead. Might be why the HDMI was working. Also.. some monitors have issues with knowing when to turn on if it can't detect a signal. A VGA cable might be old enough to not be sending that signal

@Marauder06 , I can't even get into display (unless I'm on the TV via HDMI).

@TYW27 see above. I know the monitors are on VGA because that's the input from the 'old' computer.
The "display" I'm referring to has nothing to is the one that is inherent in the computer.

Depending on your version of Windows, you should be able to either click the windows icon and type "display" and get your display options to open, or search your computer for "display." It will then look something like the below. Then you can hit the "detect" button and you'll know if your computer is even recognizing that it is connected to another display.

1609697038747.png

The "display" I'm referring to has nothing to is the one that is inherent in the computer.

Depending on your version of Windows, you should be able to either click the windows icon and type "display" and get your display options to open, or search your computer for "display." It will then look something like the below. Then you can hit the "detect" button and you'll know if your computer is even recognizing that it is connected to another display.

View attachment 37925

I get it, I can only do that on the TV hooked up with HDMI. One of our colleagues suggested I try the VGA cable on the TV to see if it's related to the monitors or perhaps needing updated drivers for the monitors.

What OS are you using? Later versions of Windows apparently have difficulty with legacy interfaces like VGA

Windows 10.

For S&Gs, on advice of one of our colleagues here, I hooked it up to the TV via VGA and it was still a no-go. I ordered the cable on Amazon. If it does not work, then I will buy a HDMI monitor.

First off, I heart this thread so much (couldn't find a heart emoji:mad:). I love to see that real-time, distributed troubleshooting.

Secondly, I think we could use a bit more info. If it's not too much hassle @Devildoc, could you pop the case's side panel off? It's hard to see in the pic, but I suspect that it's the right side of the tower, as viewed from the rear with all the ports and plugs. It may require a cross-head screwdriver, though there may be a nice knurled thumb screw instead. Then snap a couple pics showing the guts/board, and we can see what hardware connects to what ports on the back.

Many 'mass-produced' (thinking Dell, HP, Gateway [once upon a time], etc.) towers have 'standard' backs with all of the same I/O plugs, regardless of what hardware is actually in your computer. Compounding that with the fact that yours is a rebuild, seeing a plug on the back is no guarantee that it connects to anything.

I have one question then I will have an answer for you.

Have you been able to plug ANY video cable + monitor into that VGA output on your computer, and have it work?

If the answer is "NO" then it's simple.

You have a discrete video card, and you have onboard video built into the motherboard using the processor. Onboard vid is shit compared to basically any discrete, and like having belt driven accessories like a supercharger, takes power from the "motor" aka processor to do it's thing. Your motherboard more than likely has the video output disabled, as VGA is old school low resolution video only surpassed in amount of dust blown off by the Apple IIe's and Kaypro II's with every color you wanted as long as it was green and black when I was a kid.

Get a HDMI monitor and don't look back. That will be the best solution for your situation, other than... well, pm'ing me or compforce or one of the other high end nards on here (no insult intended because I missed "you", I just woke up) before you build a system because chances are I could teach you the ways of DEX for whatever you're trying to do on there and have saved ya hunnads of dollahs.

Back