"Why I'm Skeptical of PTSD Claims... And You Should Be Too"

@Red Flag 1 very graciously sent me a PM concerning my post in this thread, and I would like to apologize for straying outside my lane. I try my best not to interject personal feeling or advice into any of my posts, I was attempting to offer up data that I felt would add to the discussion. The bold print was a quote from the study and I bolded to identify it as such, not to emphasize personal commentary or challenge anyone. Again, I profusely apologize for giving advice where I clearly do not rate. I will definitely do better in the future and read more, post less.

No worries, J.S. work hard in highschool to build the broad base of knowledge that you will be adding to everyday of your life. Be sure to have fun; that too is part of the teen years, and highschool. We are glad to have you on board, and I hope we can help you reach your goal.

The double dip is for 20+ year's w/ service connected disability ratings. Guys like RS and me can only draw one or the other, excluding CRSC.

I still haven't applied for CRSC, not sure on the process, but had a buddy who was drawing like $150, so I just kinda blew it off. I received my permanent retirement orders (off the TDRL) last March at 90% (100% with the VA). Was it worth the time doing CRSC? Also how difficult was the paperwork, did you have to go see someone, or just do it on your own? I need to file it but been procrastinating like a turd.
Should have been automatic.

"Recent veterans have committed suicide at a much higher rate than people who never served in the military, according to a new analysis that provides the most thorough accounting so far of the problem.

The rate was slightly higher among veterans who never deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq, suggesting that the causes extend beyond the trauma of war."

Detailed study confirms high suicide rate among recent veterans

Ah and here is our dilemma. If I file for PTSD with the VA and it goes on my record I have offically screwed myself for finding work. I have already been denied a high end government security job because I was stupid and told them I see a private psychologist about some reintegration stuff. They dug deeeep into it. Psychologist ran a great defense. They got wind of a tiny note on her pad that said, possible mild ptsd. Boom, tossed out of that candidate pool before I knew what happened.

Screwed if you file. Screwed if you don't.

That is a HIPPA violation. On both the part of the provider and the .gov

That is a HIPPA violation. On both the part of the provider and the .gov

Not necessarily. If the patient signs a release, as often happens during a background check, the provider is permitted to make the disclosure. The key word is permitted; they're not required to (required disclosures are a different conversation altogether).

The privacy rule and its myriad exceptions are a constant headache for me.

Ah and here is our dilemma. If I file for PTSD with the VA and it goes on my record I have offically screwed myself for finding work. I have already been denied a high end government security job because I was stupid and told them I see a private psychologist about some reintegration stuff. They dug deeeep into it. Psychologist ran a great defense. They got wind of a tiny note on her pad that said, possible mild ptsd. Boom, tossed out of that candidate pool before I knew what happened.

Screwed if you file. Screwed if you don't.

Mental Health and Final Security Clearances

Mental health issues can adversely affect an individual’s eligibility for a federal security clearance, but many clearance applicants worry unnecessarily and sometimes choose not to seek treatment due to fears that it could result in the denial or revocation of a clearance.

A July 2009 article at www.Army.mil reported that the US Army Central Clearance Facility’s “adjudicative history indicates that 99.98 percent of cases with psychological concerns obtained/retained their security clearance eligibility.”

Mental Health and Final Security Clearances - Defense News

I'm not saying this is fact as I believe that many are in the same boat: clearance = a way to make a living. I know what the medical releases say but nobody wants to potentially be labeled.

I don't think it's the TIME for that article. Not when the VA has been denying more than 90% of PTSD claims (up to 2012), still denies 65% of soldiers claiming PTSD ... after reviewing the files which are sometimes hundreds of pages thick for an average of FOUR minutes.... after having taken 1 1/2 years to spend that 4-minutes on a file.

Hell.. I know a guy who's been waiting 4-years (an appeal of their first bullshit decision). Here is a guy who graduated from one of the best colleges in the country before then graduating from one of the best law schools in the country to then join the Army........... and I spent an hour on the phone today trying to help him plug his DVD player into the right AV slots in the back of his TV. An hour.

Mothafkrs.

In the meanwhile... woo-hoo... he gets his $400 a month from the Army and NO ONE, of course, will hire him. Oh... and the VA sends him a letter where it clearly states he can receive free counseling at the VA for psychiatric illness (to include PTSD, as the letter states) because it began during his period of service. Huh? Really? Do you even read your own files? Nah.. not in 4-minutes they don't (mothafcka. mothafcka).

Point is... that article starts a discussion that NO ONE should be having right now. It is a tremendous distraction from the much greater, life-altering, misserable, painful life that vets (and enlisted who are scared as fck to even ever mention PTSD to anyone for fear of being med-boarded, losing the right to have a gun or work in any kind of future security job) are suffering through.

Even if it is 10% who are fraudsters that are getting through the sieve, I don't giveashit. It's more important that they pay... and properly treat... the 90% valid claims of those who are suffering.

When the VA comes closer to 90% approvals of valid PTSD claims... rather than 45%... have the discussion then.

Sure... I believe most of the guy's points in his article. But.. man, WTF? It's not the time.

For that reason, yeah... the article pissed me off. Big time.

A53, please articulate better. Your writing is atrocious. This isn't a teeny bopper site. Your Intro page needs work as well.

I am requesting politely that you write coherent sentences so your idea can be conveyed in a meaningful matter.

Plus, your gratuitous use of "..." and cussing detracts from the important discussion about PTSD.

What is your background and what are you trying to convey?

Any thought on the main points in this article?[/QUOTE

So I guess the stigma still stands.I have had PTSD for over 30 yrs.I do not have combat PTSD-but let me tell you the symptoms that came with mine-severe agoraphobia-heightened anxiety-panic attacks and a severe tightening of the throat where I
am unable to eat. This is a real mental illness and we need to support one another.If people cry wolf-dont let us take the shame.

@8654Maine What up? :D

I agree. My writing is attrocious. I gotta ask for my $300 back from that university in Hatii... cause that was for all three of my degrees. And they apparently aint worth jack fckin shit. Thanks for lettin' me know 'bout that. I'll get on it.

Concerning the article, it stated that people could easily fake PTSD. Here's a PET scans of normal vs. PTSD brain:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QMt1RYWWv...healthy_vs_post-traumatic-stress-syndrome.jpg

For other examples, simply Google "PET scan PTSD".

My point being, the fakers can be weeded out. They're just not doing it. Neither is the VA commonly utilizing PET scans for diagnosis.

I agree. My writing is attrocious. I gotta ask for my $300 back from that university in Hatii... cause that was for all three of my degrees. And they apparently aint worth jack fckin shit. Thanks for lettin' me know 'bout that. I'll get on it.

Concerning the article, it stated that people could easily fake PTSD. Here's a PET scans of normal vs. PTSD brain:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QMt1RYWWv...healthy_vs_post-traumatic-stress-syndrome.jpg

My point being, the fakers can be weeded out. They're just not doing it. Neither is the VA commonly utilizing PET scans for diagnosis.

What the fuck?

You need to do better than that.

You've already been told/warned by a member of the staff here to not step out of your lane when it comes to subjects like medicine/health. Your "point being" is based on nothing but internet "knowledge". You DO NOT know that for a fact, or if you do, you've provided zero evidence to back your claim up.

On this site, if you post something, you must state that it is only your opinion or fact based on... whatever proof you can and will supply.
Do you understand?
This is the second time you've been told. Take note!

As for your smart assed reply to @8654Maine , keep it up and see where it gets you on this site.
Understand?

I concur with @Marine0311; you'll definitely have to do better than this regarding serious discussion of a health/ science related subject on this board.

FWIW, the VA isn't using PET scans as a "common" diagnostic tool with this disorder because the targeted, mechanism based treatments which may be indicated using this imaging modality are still being studied.

A recent NYU study on this very subject, in this case researching the expression of dysphoric symptoms in trauma related psychopathology with PET as a study tool:

Association of In Vivo κ-Opioid Receptor Availability and the Transdiagnostic Dimensional Expression of Trauma-Related Psychopathology

Last edited:
Any thought on the main points in this article?
Well Sir, this has been on my mind since you posted this. Everyone here likes you a lot and most will be all over me with what I am about to say. Thats Okay. If someone cant accept honesty, the problem is not mine to own.

First off Sir, when you equated PTSD to back pain I was offended. I feel you posting this took everyone working hard at mental health for PTSD, etc, back years. For us that have it-same thing.

I cant even understand the main point you made. I find it very difficult to believe and hear this can be faked. Symptoms are not always the same as someone elses. Know anyone that had to scratch and claw at their mattress because they couldnt swallow. That may be a symptom that not a lot have-but I did.

You would have to be a great actor to share with your Dr. the horrible scaremares and fear of dying everyday.I am not ashamed to say that I have been so afraid I peed the bed. No shame. Just fear.

I know you have a good heart and were just making a point-but maybe it just flew over my head. I respected you from day one when you brought up that awesome critical thinking exercise way back.

Needed to have my say. Thats all. Thanks.

Back pain, PTSD, seizures, headaches, etc. It can all be faked. The people who do this do a vast disservice to honest people who suffer.

Truth be told.

I see a great many PI/ work comp/ auto accident cases for spine injury and pain. Insurance company attorneys aggressively looking for evidence of malingering from the claimant is a common activity in depositions I've been party to in some of those cases. Its a really unpleasant experience.

To be fair, though, they are protecting their client as a result of the damage done by decades of shady frauds.

Everyone here likes you a lot and most will be all over me with what I am about to say. Thats Okay. If someone cant accept honesty, the problem is not mine to own.

First off Sir, when you equated PTSD to back pain I was offended.

Mara was quoting the opening sentence of the story, you need to take the issue up with Scott Faith, the person who wrote the article.

Back