"Why I'm Skeptical of PTSD Claims... And You Should Be Too"

I didnt elaborate on the 10,000 IUs-he recommended that for cancer patients--Dr. Cedric Garland.

What surprised me in my research-and have a load more to research and cross reference comes from The Journal of Oncology Practice. Not only can Vit D block the growth of cancer tumours but in the form of Calcitriol -it encourages cells to adapt to their organs or commit apoptosis-cell suicide.Calcitriol also limits blood supply to a tumour.

Mercola.com-suggests Vit D just doesnt cure cancer but also infections.

If Vit D can do all that then maybe it can really help with TBIs ,PTSD and more.As I said I have to do a lot more research. I really hope it can help with PTSD.

Not attacking here, just some thoughts. Just because something may work on one thing, doesn't mean it will help with another. TBI and cancer are not similar in any way. PTSD is not even known to have a physical cause. Other than enhancing mood, Vitamin D would probably have very little effect in helping. Things that might really help, going into the sun! Your body is the best creator of Vitamin D. People have vitamin D deficiency because they spend all day inside. Other things you should look into for treatment of PTSD, TBI, medical marijuana, which I believe is legal in Canada...? Medical marijuana has been shown to reduce swelling in the brain, and can help with the depression aspect of PTSD.

Arain, M., Khan, M., Craig, L., and Nakanishi, S.T. (2015, March). Cannabinoid agonist rescues learning and memory after a traumatic brain injury. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, 2(3), 289-94.

Lopez-Rodriguez, A.B., Siopi, E., Finn, D.P., Marchand-Leroux, C., Garcia-Segura, L.M., Jafarian-Tehrani, M., and Viveros, M.P. (2015, January). CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptor antagonists prevent minocycline-induced neuroprotection following traumatic brain injury in mice. Cerebral Cortex, 25(1), 35-45.

Not attacking here, just some thoughts. Just because something may work on one thing, doesn't mean it will help with another. TBI and cancer are not similar in any way. PTSD is not even known to have a physical cause. Other than enhancing mood, Vitamin D would probably have very little effect in helping. Things that might really help, going into the sun! Your body is the best creator of Vitamin D. People have vitamin D deficiency because they spend all day inside. Other things you should look into for treatment of PTSD, TBI, medical marijuana, which I believe is legal in Canada...? Medical marijuana has been shown to reduce swelling in the brain, and can help with the depression aspect of PTSD.

Arain, M., Khan, M., Craig, L., and Nakanishi, S.T. (2015, March). Cannabinoid agonist rescues learning and memory after a traumatic brain injury. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, 2(3), 289-94.

Lopez-Rodriguez, A.B., Siopi, E., Finn, D.P., Marchand-Leroux, C., Garcia-Segura, L.M., Jafarian-Tehrani, M., and Viveros, M.P. (2015, January). CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptor antagonists prevent minocycline-induced neuroprotection following traumatic brain injury in mice. Cerebral Cortex, 25(1), 35-45.

If tests were on mice, would the same results be applied to people? I'm not sure if there has been human testing on this. Went through the methods and how they administered the tests, and I'm a bit fuzzy on the method that they used to introduce the drugs to the mice. From my limited understanding, they injected the drug through a saline solution. For your average Joe they might smoke it or consume it orally. So I don't really see how the average Joe (who has legal access to this stuff) is going to be able to replicate similar results.

I'm probably way off base and if I apologize in advance if I don't make sense.

If tests were on mice, would the same results be applied to people? I'm not sure if there has been human testing on this. Went through the methods and how they administered the tests, and I'm a bit fuzzy on the method that they used to introduce the drugs to the mice. From my limited understanding, they injected the drug through a saline solution. For your average Joe they might smoke it or consume it orally. So I don't really see how the average Joe (who has legal access to this stuff) is going to be able to replicate similar results.

I'm probably way off base and if I apologize in advance if I don't make sense.

Well this is preliminary science. It is hard to experiment with medical marijuana due to it being schedule 1.

Well this is preliminary science. It is hard to experiment with medical marijuana due to it being schedule 1.
I guess it'll be interesting when/if human experimentation starts to take place. Not a proponent of marijuana, but I do look forward to seeing any new medical advancements in the treatment of TBI and PTS.

I have a big dog in that fight - this doc and his "natural" med site soils the practice environment in my state.

I fart in his general direction.

Aah, shades of Monty Python, a man after my own heart. I prefer to wave my private parts at him;-)

There is a huge gray area of medically unregulated dietary supplements. They are not regulated with and form of investigations like the FDA. The same dietary supplement made by companies X Y & Z. They all contain the same mgms/units, pick your measured amount. What is not looked at very well is how much of the dietary supplement actually makes it to the body's microvasculature, and cells. The carrier agent in the supplements vary, this changes how much of the supplement is made available as it makes it's way though the digestive tract. So if you are taking these dietary supplements, try to find information about how much actually winds up in circulation.

If you do much research about almost anything, medicine included, you can find plenty of data to back up your side of the argument. To do a complete research on a particular point, you must begin with no point to prove. It is an exhaustive and time consuming undertaking. Keep in mind that there is probably enough data to back both sides, of an opinion. So, the question is, which side of the argument are you on? Then spend some time reading data supporting the other side of the argument.

I guess it'll be interesting when/if human experimentation starts to take place. Not a proponent of marijuana, but I do look forward to seeing any new medical advancements in the treatment of TBI and PTS.

It's already happening and there is an increasing # of Veterans in Canada going the medical marijuana route for PTSD and some chronic pain, among other things. I've heard some with TBI can't use it due to damage to our own canninaboid system. There's also a great movement away from smoking. Vaporizing and consuming edibles is the most common way. From research I've read, it's proving the therapeutic effects are greatly increased from ingestion and it's more from CBD and not THC.

@metalmom I'll send you some info that might help.

If you do much research about almost anything, medicine included, you can find plenty of data to back up your side of the argument. To do a complete research on a particular point, you must begin with no point to prove. It is an exhaustive and time consuming undertaking. Keep in mind that there is probably enough data to back both sides, of an opinion. So, the question is, which side of the argument are you on? Then spend some time reading data supporting the other side of the argument.

All true, and this is where systematic reviews, meta analyses, SME consensus comes in.

If none of these exist then I withhold conclusive opinion and application in practice.

I recognize that other practitioner's approaches may vary on this. ;-)

First off thank you for making me aware of Mercola.com.

As far as medicinal pot goes I have not researched this. My son is completely straight edge but since he works with youth and has to deal with depression and anxiety and went to many seminars he thinks I should view that as an option.

As I just told someone back in the Cheech and Chong days I smoked a few joints-instant paranoia. Most likely because the weed was laced with something not good.Another thing to research and think about. Great points.

Aah, shades of Monty Python, a man after my own heart. I prefer to wave my private parts at him;-)

There is a huge gray area of medically unregulated dietary supplements. They are not regulated with and form of investigations like the FDA. The same dietary supplement made by companies X Y & Z. They all contain the same mgms/units, pick your measured amount. What is not looked at very well is how much of the dietary supplement actually makes it to the body's microvasculature, and cells. The carrier agent in the supplements vary, this changes how much of the supplement is made available as it makes it's way though the digestive tract. So if you are taking these dietary supplements, try to find information about how much actually winds up in circulation.

I absolutely agree with your last paragraph. I am going to say I like to debunk things from either side to get to the nitty gritty . I agree it is time consuming ang exhaustive but worth the effort.I have a lot of work to do-but totally understand and hear you.

Interesting. I wonder if people with these decreased levels are simply more prone to PTSD or if the PTSD causes the drop. I would guess he former.

Stress and fatigue change your body, I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't pass on your second reason either, "that this drop maybe an cause/effect result." But it does sound like a "PTSD litmus test" could be on the horizon.

study exploring the possible link between variations in microbiota-influenced immunoregulation and PTSD.

The Microbiome in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Trauma-Exposed Controls: An Exploratory Study

"Conclusions: In this exploratory study, measures of overall microbial diversity were similar among individuals with PTSD and TE controls; however, decreased total abundance of Actinobacteria, Lentisphaerae, and Verrucomicrobia was associated with PTSD status."

Oh crap, I can't read the study, am I the only one here who isn't subscribed and doesn't want to spend almost US $700 to read... I'll just google the microbiome referenced to figure out what is being discussed here. :(

Back