"Why I'm Skeptical of PTSD Claims... And You Should Be Too"

Just read the article. Was intrigued to learn that about 34 percent of the population may get it from panic disorder which is just another part of my PTSD. Interesting article. Thanks for sharing. Had no clue they could be associated with PTSD.

Thanks for the info. If you can link us to the article, I think many would like to see it. I
know not everyone can always scan stuff for for us, but if you can, that would be great.

@lindy I always found the good stressors always worse for triggering than the bad. You don't expect good thoughts to fuck your shit up. But stress is stress and it all adds up until the bucket over floweth of the shit.

As for dreams, I haven't had one I recalled since I stopped taking mefloquine after getting home. I am stuck with night terrors. Thankfully I've been able to reduce them quite a bit over the years.

Hey Rack-I have very vivid night terrors.Probably 5 to 6 days out of 7. I dont remember the last time I didnt remember a dream. Very glad your night terrors are getting less over the yrs. Have to say I once had a 6th month reprieve.Kept dreaming night after night a bear was coming after me-bypassed my husband and son and found its way up the loft. More symbolic in who or what that bear was in my life.Still scary. Totally understand about the good stressors affecting us.Did you ever have sleep paralysis.

For PTSD I refused antidepressants. They scare me.Outside of self medicating with beer-which I am doing much better at now-only had ativan-xanax-and now clonazepam. Rack-you may know this-for yrs everyone told me to go for ODSP. I refused on the grounds I was going to fix myself. Anyway-2 yrs ago went for it.Denied at every turn.Got a great lawyer who referred me to a great psychologist-we could only skype.We won but through our skype interview he sent out his reports and he believed I had depression.I dont feel depessed but does that go hand in hand with PTSD..Know life would be better-possibly-with the right meds-just wont go for antidepessants.

No, there was never anyone else in these dreams, I was always completely alone and that's one of the things that made it terrifying. What was interesting is that it felt like intense claustrophobia, which was strange because I used to do a lot of caving and tight spots never bothered me. When I woke up and thought about the situation I was in in my dream, it wasn't scary at all. But when I was asleep (and probably not breathing) it was the scariest thing ever.
So you were a spelunker. Ever do any diving in those caves if they had the water channels.Whats strange about your dream is I dont see it as symbolic but crazy what sleep apnea can do.How is that now-Ihave heard about devices you can get that will wake you if you stop breathing.

Please let me know if this is out of my lane, but I have some personal experience with night terrors. I've had them for around year and a half and it comes and goes in relation to frequency. Sometimes it's been 3-4 times a week, sometimes I'll go a month with no incident. It's always the scene of my bed, and there's an imminent threat in the room. It's been a bomb, a man leaning over me, but the general theme is the same. I'll initially feel petrified, but wake up screaming covered in cold sweat, occasionally running down the hallway.

I found a visit to a therapist to be helpful and it was a relief to talk about the episodes fully with someone. I'd highly recommend a visit to a professional for anyone suffering from something similar, as it's been about two months with only one episode. One strategy that's helped me is reading a book before bed. It calms me down and gives me some down time to de-stress before I sleep. Listening to really calm music, usually just instrumentals, has helped as well in terms of stress and sleep. Again, apologies if this is out of my lane, but these things have really helped personally with these problems.

Sleep paralysis is the Worst. I have it very sporadically. Outright terrifying when I do.

@J.S. I appreciate you wanting to help. I've had PTSD longer than you are probably alive, been in therapy and medicated longer than you have been in school.

I have had sleep paralysis but not in a long time, it freaked me out.

@metalmom I understand your fear of antidepressants think of them as a tool. To help give your mind a break while therapy and other treatments do there thing.

So you were a spelunker. Ever do any diving in those caves if they had the water channels.Whats strange about your dream is I dont see it as symbolic but crazy what sleep apnea can do.How is that now-Ihave heard about devices you can get that will wake you if you stop breathing.

I haven't had night terrors in years. I think part if it is I no longer drink alcohol before bed. In fact, I drink very little at all anymore. One evening a week my office has a Scotch tasting and I have a shot or two there. Other than that, I don't really consume much alcohol. I was in Italy all last week and had exactly one beer.

We never did cave diving. Too dangerous, and the specialized equipment was too expensive.

One other thing to consider that for us lifers; it can all be a cumulative impact. I was diagnosed with Chronic Depression due to chemical imbalance in '93. Basically the part of my brain (that still functions no matter what some of you wiseass kids say) will no longer produce enough serotonin. It was a cumulative effect. (Probably had something to do with 3 of my 4 ex wifes being strippers or some such shit.) So I will be on Sertraline until I piss off my wife one time too many.

Please let me know if this is out of my lane, but I have some personal experience with night terrors. I've had them for around year and a half and it comes and goes in relation to frequency. Sometimes it's been 3-4 times a week, sometimes I'll go a month with no incident. It's always the scene of my bed, and there's an imminent threat in the room. It's been a bomb, a man leaning over me, but the general theme is the same. I'll initially feel petrified, but wake up screaming covered in cold sweat, occasionally running down the hallway.

I found a visit to a therapist to be helpful and it was a relief to talk about the episodes fully with someone. I'd highly recommend a visit to a professional for anyone suffering from something similar, as it's been about two months with only one episode. One strategy that's helped me is reading a book before bed. It calms me down and gives me some down time to de-stress before I sleep. Listening to really calm music, usually just instrumentals, has helped as well in terms of stress and sleep. Again, apologies if this is out of my lane, but these things have really helped personally with these problems.

Well; this is a thread with PTSD at it's center. Many high schools have psychologists on staff, and that is the place to go for this sort of thing. If your dreams are affecting your grades, or you fear sleep, it is time to seek help, like you did. Problems with sleep can start when you are using the bed for something other than sleep, and one other thing. If you are reading a Kindle in bed, you will have sleep problems. The same is true if you are using a tablet or IPad in bed, it will impact your ability to sleep. Latest research is going so far as to say keep Cell phones, Tablets, Ipads, and anything with an LED light lights. They do disturb your ability of fall to sleep, and stay there.

Well; this is a thread with PTSD at it's center. Many high schools have psychologists on staff, and that is the place to go for this sort of thing. If your dreams are affecting your grades, or you fear sleep, it is time to seek help, like you did. Problems with sleep can start when you are using the bed for something other than sleep, and one other thing. If you are reading a Kindle in bed, you will have sleep problems. The same is true if you are using a tablet or IPad in bed, it will impact your ability to sleep. Latest research is going so far as to say keep Cell phones, Tablets, Ipads, and anything with an LED light lights. They do disturb your ability of fall to sleep, and stay there.

I've heard something similar to that before, regarding the LED lights. Apologies if I've derailed this thread in any way.

I haven't had night terrors in years. I think part if it is I no longer drink alcohol before bed. In fact, I drink very little at all anymore. One evening a week my office has a Scotch tasting and I have a shot or two there. Other than that, I don't really consume much alcohol. I was in Italy all last week and had exactly one beer.

We never did cave diving. Too dangerous, and the specialized equipment was too expensive.
Im a drinker-only way I can eat or sleep.Good news is I am getting down in my alcohol intake.Gone down 3 and a half beers in about 2 months.Will keep moving forward with that.Didnt know they could be related-but still cant eat unless drinking. Good for you on basically getting rid of the alcohol.

My cell phone is my alarm, and it gets jammed into a hole where no light can show (and I actually have to move in order to shut off the alarm).

Back