Why is CA considered SOF?

I’m don’t believe SBU sailors were considered SOF back then either.

When it was a Special Boat Unit (SBU) it wasn’t a “closed rate”. Meaning that other rates like Quatermaster, Engineman, Corpsman would come to the SBU, go through a pipeline to be a part of the unit, and then possibly/probably be sent away to another after they did their time.

Whether or not they “fell under SOCOM” is actually a mystery to me, and I’ll inquire when I go back to work on Monday. I do know that they were created specifically to be the mobility and Maritime platform for SOCOM however.

Last edited:
Sorry for kind of hijacking this thread. Could you explain what the difference between PsyOp and CA is? Also are SF commonly still integrated within those units and why?

Sort of true and sort of not true? While PJs have assignments in AFSOC and in support of SOCOM directly in those assignments, Personnel Recovery is a direct tenet of SOF (under ‘direct action’). All those assignments should be considered ‘SOF’ assignments as well, even though it’s not for AFSOC.

For instance- the last two Silver Star winners (Brunetto and Fisher) were both PJs assigned to SOF mission sets working at rescue units (38/58, respectively).
Assignment between conventional and SOCOM units then. You get my point. Personnel recovery isn’t a SOF mission when the 81mm mortar platoon does it from a MEU. I like that model and argued, unsuccessfully, that the Marine Corps should have done the same thing with the MSOBs and recon battalions when they built MARSOC.

Assignment between conventional and SOCOM units then. You get my point. Personnel recovery isn’t a SOF mission when the 81mm mortar platoon does it from a MEU. I like that model and argued, unsuccessfully, that the Marine Corps should have done the same thing with the MSOBs and recon battalions when they built MARSOC.
Yikes. Yeah, I was tracking your point, sir.

Back