Why is the 18x program frowned upon?

EqualReaction

Unverified
I’ve been reading literature about Special Forces, and there seems to be a hint of resentment for those who go in by the 18x program. It seems some soldiers within SF believe that one should have military experience before joining SF. When they stood up MARSOC they firmly believed in having a more mature and experienced Marine going through selection beforehand.

I was just wondering what you all think about the 18x program and what are the pros/cons for the SF community. Is there truly a gap between 18x and a seasoned soldier that takes awhile to make up?

Thanks.

Plenty of people go 18X...if you want to be SF go 18X. Simple.

Pretty sure this question has been asked many times before.

Plenty of people go 18X...if you want to be SF go 18X. Simple.

Pretty sure this question has been asked many times before.
I totally agree. I’m more or less trying to see the reasoning behind some of the attitudes against 18x, and if there are legitimate reasons behind it.

I can only tell you about the reputation they had at selection. A lot of them where young, immature, and entirely too cocky. This isn’t to say all, or even most of them were like that. However, the non xrays were right 99/100 times if they suspected a guy was an xray. There were plenty of guys that were awesome and I’m sure they’ll be rockstars in the regiment. The immature ones didn’t make it. Take what you will from that experience.

Back